Uploading pics from iPhone to Facebook on ship? Help !

Ykgorbie

Going on the Breeze in a few weeks, doing a B2B and am planning on purchasing some kind of Internet package while onboard. Does this mean I will be able to take a pic with my iPhone and upload it to Facebook and not incur any extra charges?? What about sending a pic from iPhone via email?

Thanks for any help....

I believe you will still need to pay for an international cell plan otherwise your phone bill will be huge for roaming charges.

I called Sprint before we left to see if there were cell towers at any of my ports and 2 out of 4 had them and we could use our phones without any extra charges once on land. That's when I uploaded to my FB page.

If you are on wi-fi, yes, you can upload your iPhone photos to Facebook at no extra charge. The extremely expensive roaming charges only apply if you are data roaming outside the US. By default, this is disabled on the iPhone but you can check under Settings/Cellular...you want data roaming OFF

This is CCL's current rates for accessing the internet on the ships -

SATELLITE INTERNET PLANS

See FAQ tab for plan descriptions

480 Minutes for $159.00 ($0.33/min)

240 Minutes for $89.00 ($0.37/min)

120 Minutes for $59.00 ($0.49/min)

45 Minutes for $29.00 ($0.64/min)

Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

Latency is high, speed is very slow, ultra slow as in old dial-up days (worst than DSL) both on upload & download - it can take more than a few minutes to upload each photo, depending on its resolution settings.

Unless the Breeze has the "newer" and "faster" satellite links, you would be burning up your minutes fast if it's more than a few photos - not to mention that it will take forever to finish, wait for refresh - review & post, etc.

Unless those uploaded photos are THAT important to your intended audience, it's best to wait till you get to a land-based WiFi or hotspot connection. If you got plenty of OBC and/or money to spend, go ahead by all means - just make sure your iPhone's roaming data is disabled and stick with ship's WiFi, and you MUST logged off to preserve your minutes or else they will be "depleted" quickly.

Archived