Chankanaab excursion in Cozumel

barbgeo

No problem, thanks for letting me know.

I looked everywhere for your review (using the links in your signature and couldn't find it). Then I just looked on the Cozumel boards and found that your review had been moved HERE. lol It's late and I had a long day at school. What can I say.

So glad you had a wonderful day. It looks like they've added on more stuff since we were there (the alligators). There wasn't anything like that the two times we went. I may have to go back some day.

Just curious.. if you didn't care to snorkel or swim w/dolphins & kids were back at home, would you still go here or somewhere else? We went to Nachi last time & not sure where to try next..Just looking for a nice beach..Thanks for any suggestions.. :)

Just curious.. if you didn't care to snorkel or swim w/dolphins & kids were back at home, would you still go here or somewhere else? We went to Nachi last time & not sure where to try next..Just looking for a nice beach..Thanks for any suggestions.. :)

Hmm, I honestly can't answer that. We go for the beach, swimming, and snorkeling. Anything extra is just added pleasure. I love this place, but it's a prime place for snorkeling. If you're not going to be swimming or snorkeling, what is it that you like to do? Do you even want a beach?

Hmm, I honestly can't answer that. We go for the beach, swimming, and snorkeling. Anything extra is just added pleasure. I love this place, but it's a prime place for snorkeling. If you're not going to be swimming or snorkeling, what is it that you like to do? Do you even want a beach?

We will be swimming..just not snorkeling.. Just wondering if there are other options for just a nice beach? We have been to Nachi & not sure about Mr. Sanchos.. We intend to take our girls there (Chankanaab) when we go back but this time we are w/o kids. Just wondering if it is worth the admit price for us?

We will be swimming..just not snorkeling.. Just wondering if there are other options for just a nice beach? We have been to Nachi & not sure about Mr. Sanchos.. We intend to take our girls there (Chankanaab) when we go back but this time we are w/o kids. Just wondering if it is worth the admit price for us?

Well if you just want to go to a beach that you can just walk in to the water type of beach, this "might" not be worth it to you. They do have a little cove area beach that you can walk right in and they do have a pool. But, I guess it would depend if there's other things you would want to do. They have the dolphin/manatee swims, there's a free sea lion show, there's a walk that you tour on your own and look at the replica mayan stuff and from what I read recently, there's a new alligator place. You are welcome to read my 2 reviews I did on Chankanaab (listed in my signature line) and you will find tons of pictures to see if it might be something you'd be interested in doing with just the 2 of you.

The only other places I have been in Cozumel would be Nachi Cocom and Playa Mia. Playa Mia is a nice place with a nice beach and huge pool (actually 2 pools), but it's definitely a place that kids would love as well. :)

I will be back in Cozumel next month, but I'm actually still trying to find "the perfect place" for us to go too. I'm considering Mr Sancho's or Paradise.

This is for alg7334 or mitsugirly:

What is the depth of the water where the Jesus statue is located? How deep in general is the water for the scuba excursions at Chankanaab?

I'm not very good with estimating depth (or inches, or feet, or time...lol). It's looks a little deep from all of the pictures I took. I didn't get to go out there because I stayed back with my little one who wanted to take a break from snorkeling and play in the sand for awhile. My husband went out and took the pictures of all of the statues for me. With the water being so clear too, it's really hard to tell.

This was the picture he took from floating on the top of the water:

IMG_5768-L.jpg

IMG_5829-L.jpg

IMG_5830-L.jpg

A picture he took of one of the divers down below him:

IMG_5835-L.jpg

So if anyone can guess how deep this is....your guess will probably be better than mine. :D

It was just my husband and I when we went (no kids) and we thought it was totally worth it. It gave us options - there were more things to do if you want to and if you just want to beach bum, that's ok too!

This is for alg7334 or mitsugirly:

What is the depth of the water where the Jesus statue is located? How deep in general is the water for the scuba excursions at Chankanaab?

The statue is about 15 - 20 feet deep. The snuba and intro to dive excursions go about 20 feet deep, no more than that.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I spent a day in Cozumel during our 5 day Western Caribbean Cruise. We wanted to have plans for the day but also wanted the opportunity to be a bit sporadic and do what we felt like the day of. Chankanaab was the perfect place for us because it gave us a plan of where to spend the day and since they had such a variety of activities we could see what we were in the mood to do once we were there. This was so easy to do on your own that we do not recommend booking through the ship. You’ll pay more and get less time there. Do this one on your own.

Chankanaab does not have a great website and it’s hard to find detailed information on the park, so I did my best to gather as much information as I could while I was there to share with anyone interested in going. If others have been and can elaborate on parts I’m missing or share their experiences that would be much appreciated by all I’m sure!

Transportation & Check-in:

We were able to easy find cabs at the cruise port. The rate for 2 people to Chankanaab was $12 plus tip and the ride was about 10 minutes. Returning the fare was $1 less for whatever reason. Transportation was safe. They will make stops at both cruise ports on the return. Our taxi drivers had a few bucks change to give us each time but I would recommend bringing exact change if you can just in case they don’t have change.

100_3144_zpsc4dc988a.jpg

Upon arriving we were immediately greeted by a very nice man named Orlando who told us about the park, gave us a park map and walked us over to the desk to purchase our tickets. They accept major credit cards, which was great because we were starting to run low on cash since this was the last stop of our vacation. Admission is $21 for adults. We had printed this $2 off coupon and brought it with us: http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

I found this great easy to read list online of what is included in your admission and what costs extra:

Included in your Chankanaab Park Admission:

• Hammocks
  • Beautiful Beach
  • Snorkeling
  • Children's Playground
  • Restrooms
  • Guided Snorkeling Tour

• Sand Wheelchairs
  • Beach Volleyball Court
  • Showers
  • Tranquil Lagoon
  • Mayan Ruins
  • Pre-Hispanic Show

• Underwater Statues
  • Umbrellas
  • Beach Chairs
  • Lifeguards
  • Space to Watch Dolphins
  • Guided Walking Tour

Available inside the park at Extra Cost:

• Snorkeling Equipment
  • Scuba Diving
  • Taxi Service
  • Snuba

• Bars and Restaurants
  • Beach Boutique
  • Towels
  • Sea Trek

• Drug Store
  • Ice Cream Parlor
  • Lockers
  • Swim With Dolphins

They had several different packages that include admission and animal interactions, which are their biggest attraction. You can book direct with them at the link below or decide when you get there.

http://www.**********************cozumel/chankanaab-national-park.asp

We still didn’t know what we wanted to do so what was nice is they said at any point during the day if we decided to book an interaction, they’d still give us the discounted combo price of admission + interaction. Perfect!

MAPA-CHANKANAAB-2013.jpg

100_3017_zpscfb50a4b.jpg

100_3018_zpsb81c1f8a.jpg

100_3020_zps3962b61d.jpg

100_3024_zps5ddb61f7.jpg

Awesome detailed review!!!!! Love the pictures!!!! This sealed the deal for me. Definitely planning a visit to Chankanaab when we stop in Coz in April. Thank you!!!

about how far away from the dolphin area do the observers stand? I want to be sure that my companion who is not doing the swim will still be able to see me well!

Sounds like you're teying to get around purchasing the pictures. :p. But I haven't visited yet, but someone mentioned that the observers are far back.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

about how far away from the dolphin area do the observers stand? I want to be sure that my companion who is not doing the swim will still be able to see me well!

Your companion will more than likely never be able to see you. The deck area is kinda far away from were they swim. You walk out along a deck and there are areas (pens) sectioned off. You walk down steps into the pens and you are down low. You are lucky if your head can be seen. :)

As you can tell from this picture, just how far you are down in the pen.

kim%20hand%20shake-M.jpg

Here's an overview picture of the place from above (just a picture I had made for someone else's question wanting to know where lockers where versus the snorkeling area)

chankanaab%20park%20map-L.jpg

Another picture from the net that shows the dolphin area.

Chankanaab-L.jpg

How crowded does Chankanaan get when there are seven ships in port?

We have been there with 7 ships in port and it never felt crowded to us. It's a huge park with so many places to go, things to see, and the big draw is the dolphin and manatee swims. So a lot of the people that are there in the beginning leave shortly after the swim. :)

Sounds like you're teying to get around purchasing the pictures. :p. But I haven't visited yet' date=' but someone mentioned that the observers are far back.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app[/quote']

ha, kinda, but really more trying to avoid paying for two people to do the swim when only one really wants to (birthday present)...

Your companion will more than likely never be able to see you. The deck area is kinda far away from were they swim. You walk out along a deck and there are areas (pens) sectioned off. You walk down steps into the pens and you are down low. You are lucky if your head can be seen. :)

thanks for that information. this is a birthday present for me, and hopefully this will be enough to convince the boy to suck it up and pay to do the swim with me so he doesn't miss it!

ha, kinda, but really more trying to avoid paying for two people to do the swim when only one really wants to (birthday present)...

If you are in the first 'pen' they will be able to see you fine, and take pictures- many people were. Second 'pen' they can see you, but likely can't take any pictures. Further than that, well, they'll be able to watch the dolphins in the big area swimming, but they won't be able to see you.

My husband skipped the manatee swim when I did it. He said he could tell I was in the water :) but that was about it. He just sat and watched the dolphins swim while I did my thing. No need to pay for 2 if only 1 wants to participate. Keep in mind though, the park price is $21 just for entrance, so if you are doing the lowest priced swim, it's really not that much more, since it includes entry. (If you are doing a higher priced one, then this isn't as much of a 'deal' for the more reluctant person.)

Edited by skittl1321

There is a huge dock that the participants go down to get to the dolphin area. Regular guests are not allowed down there and it's close enough to watch the interactions but not so close you can see anyone's face. I bet if you asked the people who run the interactions though they'd let your companion stand on the dock near you.

I was only teasing you. My mom will be with me and she won't do the swim. I half way wondered about my mom taking pictures of me, but I think I'm going to break down and purchase them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app