Independent Study For Students?

Blk_Amish

Are you familiar with this in your school district?

In California a parent can pull a child for 5 days or more (must be at least 5 days) for any reason and place them on Independent Study. The parent signs a contract agreeing to complete the class work, that MUST be provided by the teacher, for that week. These days are not counted as absences, since the school gets pay, as if the child was there. We used Independent Study when we missed a week for our cruise, but could not for our Europe trip. It was a 4 day school week so we took unexcused absences. However my kids were allowed to take their finals early.

This is not posted in the classroom or in the package sent home. I found out by accident even though I work in my kids' school district. Have you ever asked, investigated, or heard of IS?

Yes, but IS was not really set up so students can make work up that they missed while on vacation. That may be why you've never heard of it.

I am surprised your school district is using it that way. The minimum length of time a student must be enrolled in IS is five days.

Yes, but IS was not really set up so students can make work up that they missed while on vacation. That may be why you've never heard of it.

I am surprised your school district is using it that way. The minimum length of time a student must be enrolled in IS is five days.

Maybe not, but the school gets ADA and the kids get the assignment to complete while away, be it on a cruise. For parents concern about getting the work while on vacation, this might be an option. The attendance clerk should be able to provide you with information and contract. Yeah, you are still on track for perfect attendance.

IS- provides for missing school without the hassle from teachers or principal, as long as you agree to do the work.

We've pulled our DDs out of school twice. Once we only needed four days but we added the fifth to qualify for IS. IIRC the extra day was before the trip. They were able to do some of their work then. We are in San Bernardino County.

In order to get credit the work has to be turned in the first day back to class.

We did not take their schoolbooks with us. We copy and bind the required pages. If these are lost it isn't completely the end of the world and the copies are much lighter than are the textbooks.

Last time we did it was the beginning of DDtheYounger's junior year of Hgh School. The Principal had to convince her to go with us to Rome.

Some states are no longer allowing any form of Independent Study. Need to check with your school for requirements.

We've pulled our DDs out of school twice. Once we only needed four days but we added the fifth to qualify for IS. IIRC the extra day was before the trip. They were able to do some of their work then. We are in San Bernardino County.

In order to get credit the work has to be turned in the first day back to class.

We did not take their schoolbooks with us. We copy and bind the required pages. If these are lost it isn't completely the end of the world and the copies are much lighter than are the textbooks.

Last time we did it was the beginning of DDtheYounger's junior year of Hgh School. The Principal had to convince her to go with us to Rome.

Some states are no longer allowing any form of Independent Study. Need to check with your school for requirements.

Many seem to be unaware of this option for whatever reason it was intended. It's worth checking into and cut out the concern about getting the work in the first place. The work has to be requested 2 weeks before, more or less. The work has to be from the regular curriculum, by the pacing guide, in case they are audited. For PE, I had to document that my kids did an hour of physical exercise everyday. My district allows time to make up missing assignments and absences with Saturday school several times per triad. Some students are required to go to Saturday school for excessive absences.

Archived