NCL Escape

RMS Olympic

Epic should go for sure. Where who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

My guess is Epic is destined for year-round Europe. If Getaway is in on Saturdays and Escape is in on Sundays then there is no room for Epic anywhere in the Port of Miami leaving her for Europe. I doubt Norwegian will sail a ship like that from any other place because filling the capacity would be a serious issue. :cool:

Norwegian Cruise Line would base Norwegian Escape year-round at PortMiami starting in late 2015 and receive a $3m cash advance for marketing the ship, according to Miami Today, citing a Miami-Dade County Commission vote.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/report-anticipates-norwegian-escape-year-round-at-portmiami.html

I wonder when the veto date is for the Mayor so the deployment will be announced? I am guessing after the veto deadline date the entire late Fall and Winter 2015-2016 season will be announced.

I wonder when the veto date is for the Mayor so the deployment will be announced? I am guessing after the veto deadline date the entire late Fall and Winter 2015-2016 season will be announced.

Why would the mayor veto something that will bring so much tax money to the county? A city or county would kill to bring such a big ship to their port. As you read, the vote was unanimous.

Edited by david_sobe

Why would the mayor veto something that will bring so much tax money to the county? A city or county would kill to bring such a big ship to their port. As you read, the vote was unaminous.

The article states the announcement will not be made until after the time period the mayor has to veto it has lapsed. I didn't say the mayor was going to veto it. :) No announcements regarding deployments will be made until after so if we can determine when the veto date would end then we will get our announcement for Fall/Winter 2015! :)

My guess is Epic is destined for year-round Europe. If Getaway is in on Saturdays and Escape is in on Sundays then there is no room for Epic anywhere in the Port of Miami leaving her for Europe. I doubt Norwegian will sail a ship like that from any other place because filling the capacity would be a serious issue. :cool:

So NCL is looking to fill up 2 ships with 4000+ passengers every weekend. That can be hard to do, but I guess that they are looking at Royal Caribbean and having two ships in Fort Lauderdale.

So NCL is looking to fill up 2 ships with 4000+ passengers every weekend. That can be hard to do, but I guess that they are looking at Royal Caribbean and having two ships in Fort Lauderdale.

Do you think they'd base Norwegian Epic out of Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami then? If Getaway flips to Western Caribbean (which with her heavy Latin influence would make sense) and then Escape takes Eastern, where would Epic go to if she sailed from Port Everglades or even Port Canaveral? :cool:

Do you think they'd base Norwegian Epic out of Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami then? If Getaway flips to Western Caribbean (which with her heavy Latin influence would make sense) and then Escape takes Eastern, where would Epic go to if she sailed from Port Everglades or even Port Canaveral? :cool:

I think that Epic is going to Europe.

I think that Epic is going to Europe.

I misread your previous post... :o... I think NCL is totally relying on filling up both ships out of the Port of Miami on both days much like RCI is doing with their Oasis class vessels. I bet the re-deployment for Epic to Europe will counter the deployment of a year-round Oasis class deployment to the Med. We still don't know where that third Oasis class ship is going but I am thinking the Epic will go year round to saturate the market before the new Oasis class ship for RCI arrives. :cool:

I misread your previous post... :o... I think NCL is totally relying on filling up both ships out of the Port of Miami on both days much like RCI is doing with their Oasis class vessels. I bet the re-deployment for Epic to Europe will counter the deployment of a year-round Oasis class deployment to the Med. We still don't know where that third Oasis class ship is going but I am thinking the Epic will go year round to saturate the market before the new Oasis class ship for RCI arrives. :cool:

CruisinMaterial - did you do a review of the Aquafest cruise on the Jewel. Looking Forward to reading it. My partner and I are going on the Jewel in 31 days. Also, I sent you a friend request.

CruisinMaterial - did you do a review of the Aquafest cruise on the Jewel. Looking Forward to reading it. My partner and I are going on the Jewel in 31 days. Also, I sent you a friend request.

Yes I did do an AQ review. :) It's in the G&L section on here and it's also under the Norwegian Jewel in the Member Review. Just search for my user name. :)

They are moving Epic to the Western Caribbean next year according to the info I got just a week ago - I also think when the 2 new ships arrive Epic will be moved permanently to Europe doing the traditional Med run - it is very well received in Europe (we sailed on Epic twice out of Barcelona).

Miami is a popular destination for tourists that is why I think the newest ships will be there. And I prefer the Eastern/Southern Caribbean personally, but a new private island in the Western might draw me back over to the Western itinerary. Maybe they will even return one of the smaller ships to Charleston.

If you look at RCCL and Celebrity they have their smaller, older ships in the more exotic ports - we finally had to "jump ship" with NCL and will be on the smaller, older Splendour of the Seas with RCCL in South America along with Celebrity Millemmium in Asia in 2015. It is time for NCL to expand their market and start competing with these lines for these cruise dollars. I would love to stick with NCL, but after 13 cruises I had to branch out. Instead of 2 or 3 NCL cruises in 2015, I will stick to none or 1 NCL cruise- very sad.

I think Mr. Sheehan has made some good decisions with NCL so far - with these new ships he should consider sending the Sun or other older ships into more world markets.

The article states the announcement will not be made until after the time period the mayor has to veto it has lapsed. I didn't say the mayor was going to veto it. :) No announcements regarding deployments will be made until after so if we can determine when the veto date would end then we will get our announcement for Fall/Winter 2015! :)

Sorry, this is OT, but in soviet Toronto, people want to veto their mayor.

:p :cool:

After reading about NCL investing in a 75 acre piece of property outside of Belize, and that they want to double the passenger load to the western Caribbean by 2017 it would suggest new tonnage headed that way. Since Escape looks like she is Miami bound to back fill Epics slot, perhaps Bliss could head for Tampa?????

As for Port Canaveral, that's another possibility with their planned expansion. I personally hope Tampa gets something newer than the Sun. I like her size but she is getting very dated like Me.

As for Escape, if I survive Getaway this coming September I will sail Escape on her first sailing after she crosses the pond. I started this addiction with NCL and am trying to rekindle my loyalty which was ditched.

One other note, my copy of Guide (ship building publication) spoke of the latest trend of reducing cruising speeds requiring hull design changes.... could dictate home ports. Shorter distances would allow for slower speeds and less fuel consumption. Maybe the end of the bulbous bow......like the upcoming Aida Prima.

After reading about NCL investing in a 75 acre piece of property outside of Belize, and that they want to double the passenger load to the western Caribbean by 2017 it would suggest new tonnage headed that way. Since Escape looks like she is Miami bound to back fill Epics slot, perhaps Bliss could head for Tampa?????

As for Port Canaveral, that's another possibility with their planned expansion. I personally hope Tampa gets something newer than the Sun. I like her size but she is getting very dated like Me.

As for Escape, if I survive Getaway this coming September I will sail Escape on her first sailing after she crosses the pond. I started this addiction with NCL and am trying to rekindle my loyalty which was ditched.

One other note, my copy of Guide (ship building publication) spoke of the latest trend of reducing cruising speeds requiring hull design changes.... could dictate home ports. Shorter distances would allow for slower speeds and less fuel consumption. Maybe the end of the bulbous bow......like the upcoming Aida Prima.

Not to pop your bubble but ships bigger then Jewel/Dawn class will not fit under the Skyway Bridge in Tampa. :(

time2cruise1 is right. Breakaway, let alone Bliss with her higher air draft, will not fit under the Skyway.

I know from speaking with her officers that Breakaway's bulb was modified to be efficient at lower speeds than those of the Jewel Class. It certainly looks less prominent in photos. I don't think they're going away entirely though. AIDAprima definitely has a bulb, albeit a very small one reminiscent of the early days of bulb design in the old liners.

l8e5xmtr7z.jpg

My bubble is still in one piece. The short note I read about Tampa was that a new port facility would be constructed on the other side of the Bay to avoid the bridge. This would make sense as the current facility is so small downtown only 2 or three ships at a time can tie up.

I also read that Aida cruises will be bringing a ship to Tampa for a few cruises....so maybe growth is in Tampa's future.

If NCL only moves a Dawn class over to replace the Sun, I'd give her a try.

Now if the Aida Prima came to Florida, watch how fast I book........my bubble would burst :^)

My bubble is still in one piece. The short note I read about Tampa was that a new port facility would be constructed on the other side of the Bay to avoid the bridge. This would make sense as the current facility is so small downtown only 2 or three ships at a time can tie up.

I also read that Aida cruises will be bringing a ship to Tampa for a few cruises....so maybe growth is in Tampa's future.

If NCL only moves a Dawn class over to replace the Sun, I'd give her a try.

Now if the Aida Prima came to Florida, watch how fast I book........my bubble would burst :^)

Well they have talked about moving the port to St Petersburg. Much shorter trip out of Tampa Bay but the ships would still have to pass under the Skyway Bridge.

I just can’t see the Escape which is bigger then Breakaway and Getaway doing Western Caribbean Cruises. I have no idea where she will go but I just don’t see Western Caribbean Cruises for her. I just feel as if there isn’t enough demand for Western Caribbean Cruises, Eastern is much more popular. Yes I know the EPIC is doing Western Caribbean Cruises but we all know how long those will last for. Anyone think there is a possible switch… Getaway doing Western, Escape doing Eastern. I honestly have no idea and can’t wait to find out!

Edited by Justyman87

Hello, I am not sure Canary islands and Madeira would have port deep enough for the Epic...

Epic's draft is only 2.5 feet more than Spirit's (28.5 ft vs 26 ft). Depth wise pretty much where ever Spirit can dock, Epic can too.

Edited by Demonyte

If Epic does the Canary run in the winter, its going to be a very empty ship. There isn't the demand out of Barcelona......most of the passengers are from the UK.

Now if they homeported out of Southampton or Dover, they would have a chance of filling the ship.