Excursions if partial transit

Texas YaYa Sister

I have read on some of the older threads that if you are on a partial transis cruise that the only excursions that you can take in Gatun Lake must be thru the cruise line. Is that still the case? Will be cruising in November on HAL Zuiderdam and definitely want to go to the Embera Indian village, so trying to figure out if I need to book thru ship or if I can do via an independent.

If I can do via independent, does anyone have any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
I have read on some of the older threads that if you are on a partial transis cruise that the only excursions that you can take in Gatun Lake must be thru the cruise line. Is that still the case? Will be cruising in November on HAL Zuiderdam and definitely want to go to the Embera Indian village, so trying to figure out if I need to book thru ship or if I can do via an independent.

If I can do via independent, does anyone have any suggestions?

we went to an embera indian village with Princess last year and loved it. it was a bigger tour, but still well worth it. definitely a highlight

If you want to take a tour you disembark the ship via tender in Gatun Lake. There is an area where tour buses pick you up, but nothing else. No cabs, private tour buses, etc. So tours have to be booked through the ship. Holland America's Authentic Embera Indian Village tour is excellent. It goes to a real village and I'm not sure what, if anything, would be gained even if you could do the tour independently .

Go and have a great experience!

Regards, Richard

Archived