What if child gets sick?

nseagirl

My DD and SIL have just booked their first cruise. They will be leaving their 3 year old with me when they go. If something should happen to my grandchild and they have to cancel, or return home early, will insurance pay?

If the illness is severe enough to require hospitalization the answer is usually yes. But one would have to read the details of the exact insurance policy to know if there are other limitations (such as Pre-existing conditions) that are not covered. They do not all handle non-traveling family members the same way, so one must check if that coverage is included.

My DD and SIL have just booked their first cruise. They will be leaving their 3 year old with me when they go. If something should happen to my grandchild and they have to cancel, or return home early, will insurance pay?

The should contact the insurance carrier and get clarification from them. IMO, that is the best way to find out:)

Iffy. Some carriers require the non-traveling family member to "reasonably require the insured's care." That might be a tough argument for some illnesses/injuries since you are already taking competent care of their child. In that case you'd have to argue that the illness/injury was severe enough that you could not continue to care for him on your own.

And, unfortunately, any arguing that takes place will have to occur after they've already left the cruise.

Archived