Moorea Must Do's

Tikiintahiti

Many of you have asked me to recommendations for Moorea in similar fashion as what I provided in PDF format for Bora Bora. So here you go. Just simple recommendations on things to see and do while on Moorea. The information provided is from my many trips over many years to FP. Most of the recommendations I give are ones that I've personally done and have first hand knowledge, a few are from other poster reviews I've read over the years that give certain vendors consistent good recommendations. Enjoy the link :)

Moorea Must Do's

lagoon aquarium is nice. Easy access to fish plus you have a place to change and a snack place. The price is right but it is isolated but if your going to be there a few days and have a rental car it's an easy do. I would verify that they are open as there as been a family feud going on over the rights of the business. This is fairly normal on the islands but do check.

for posting this. We've been toying with the idea of a holiday cruise next year. We were only going to arrive a day early and stay on Tahiti for the overnight, but now I see that we simply must stay a few days, and on Moorea.

Have been traveling to French Polynesia and the Cook Islands for many years, feel free to ask questions.

OK - here's one for you. We plan on booking a 3-day pre-cruise stay on Moorea at the IC. How does one get around on the island (to, say, do that hike(?) to the Belvedere overlook)? Do we need a rental car? Does the hotel have a shuttle? Cabs?

Thanks!

Can I book a tour off the pier (similar to carribean) or must it be done in advance? I have excursions booked for all islands except Moorea and I'm thinking I may just wait and see if there is anything offered once ashore.

There are taxis at the dock and they will definately take you on a tour. I wouldnt rely on them as it will depend on the day or the month or whether there are other ships in port. There is not a lot of capacity on Moorea and we had a horrible time one year getting back from Les Tip. Consequently we either rent a car or pre-arrange things.

My Moorea ha the car rental links ;)

Yep, I see that - I just wondered if you had anything to add. Tips about driving, any company to avoid (the ones you didn't list?), do they pick up/drop off at hotel (we have PG transfers)...that sort of thing.

Thanks!

I assume you mean Bora Bora. If you snorkel I would go to the back side of the Sofitel Motu and the area for the manta rays. You might also ask the owners of the rental place if they own a piece of lagoon front property on one of the motus on that side. If they do I'm sure they would give permission for you to go hang out. Remember they provide a cooler and there is a store within close walking distance of the rental place.

Best snorkel places on Bora Bora

I found it on the Avis Tahiti site under the heading "special offers". The prices have gone up from what is quoted on the site. An 8 hour car rental plus 2 hour boat rental is now approx 12,250 plus insurance. The 2 day rental is approx 20,000. Avis has been very quick to respond to my emails.

Never rented a skiff on Moorea, this is something very new.

I can tell you that the little picture on the Pacificar web site of the skiffs is taken from the marina at Les Tipaniers, very close to the motus on the north west side of the island. So ........... with a small window that they give for the boat I would assume they are thinking you would head out to the motu for snorkeling or to Coco Beach on the motu for a bit of lunch and take in the beautiful views. I might add that the beach café at Les Tipaniers is one of my favorite hang outs, good food, cheap beer (for FP) and a great view of the motus.

Sandrine at the Avis/Pacificar rental place is on top of things, she does a great job.

Archived