Princess or Carnival

ddbaab53

My wife and I are planning our 2 cruise to Alaska first one was 10 year ago when we did Carnival 7 day and 7 day land our-self. We had a great time and want to do it again but only cruise this time. We want to fly in and out of Seattle. Ok for the same type of cabin Princess would be about $1,000 more than Carnival part of this would be due to the air fair. Carnival does Tue to Tue and air fair was less. This will be our 9th cruise all on Carnival. Has anyone been on both? We are looking at Grand Princess on Princess and the Miracle on Carnival. We are flying into Seattle to see friends before the cruise.

Yes I have sailed both lines in Alaska, multiple times, but not Carnival recently.

With Carnival, I highly recommend you budget for the add on Tracy Arm shore excursion, grossly superior to a cruise ship transit. IF your Princess cruise includes Glacier Bay- what did you see last time?

You have listed differences in cost-if this matters, then your decision may be made for you? You may want to compare the itineraries, and figure out before you book, how you want to occupy your port time.

Yes I have sailed both lines in Alaska, multiple times, but not Carnival recently.

With Carnival, I highly recommend you budget for the add on Tracy Arm shore excursion, grossly superior to a cruise ship transit. IF your Princess cruise includes Glacier Bay- what did you see last time?

You have listed differences in cost-if this matters, then your decision may be made for you? You may want to compare the itineraries, and figure out before you book, how you want to occupy your port time.

Both has the same itineraries. We saw Glacier Bay last time this time was Tracy Arm

Both has the same itineraries. We saw Glacier Bay last time this time was Tracy Arm

Same port times? Then with Tracy Arm, for both, I again, suggest you add the $200+- per person that an add on Tracy Arm tour will cost you. Otherwise, On average, only about 25% of the cruise ships make it to within view of a glacier. Pretty low odds, also you see FAR more wildlife on the boat tours, many times cruise ships, completely miss it.

With that price difference, I'd go with Carnival.

Also because of the non-weekend start date there is a chance you may be the only ship in each port which is a plus. There is a website which lists which ships will be in port on each day so you could check.

If the money isn't that big a deal to you, I'd suggest Princess. As someone who has never sailed the same line twice, I believe everyone should branch out sometime. :)

Archived