last minute question for Marseilles

disneykins

Would it be cheaper to take a taxi from the port to St. Charles train station for Cassis? Or is it cheaper to take the shuttle to the old Port and then metro to St. Charles? I know it would be faster by taxi, just wondering if its worth it.

Thanks,

Tony

I just got off the Sunshine a few weeks ago... the Carnival shuttle costs 14 Euros round trip, but like you said, it only goes to the old port and then you would still need to take a metro to get to the train station. We ended up having a shorter day in port than planned due to rough seas, and didn't want to waste time dealing with multiple transfers on public transportation, so we changed from our original plan (which had been to take the metro and train), and opted to take a taxi instead. We went to Aix en Provence, but I imagine it will be a similar process if you go to Cassis. We had 8 people and found a driver with a taxi van who said it would cost 15 Euro per person to drive all the way to Aix, so we thought that was a good deal. He then reminded us that the 15 Euros was just one way, so it would cost 30 Euros each for the round trip transportation. For 44 Euros each, he offered to stay with us all day and take us not only to Aix, but also to Avignon. It ended up being a wonderful day in France, and we were very glad we went the taxi route because it was much more convenient to have him drive us directly from place to place and we didn't have to worry about waiting for transfers on the public transit.

Getting back to your question, had we just used the taxi for transportation to and from Aix, it would have been 30 Euros each. Had we used the shuttle to the metro to the train option, it probably would have only saved us 5 Euros each, but it would have taken over an hour (as opposed to the 20 minutes we spent in the taxi). I would recommend you talk to some taxi drivers in the port and see what they charge to drive you directly to Cassis. You'll probably end up saving money AND time if you do it that way :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Carnival Magic a couple of years ago and we took the ship shuttle and the metro to the train station. There was a long line to get on the shuttle and a bit of a walk to the metro so we ended up missing our train. If I were to do it over I would take a taxi.

Archived