No powerboards allowed on RCI ships

rkmw

This is a stupid question from an American. What is a powerboard? You mean what we call a power strip-three-10 outlets powered off one plug in?

IF so, they can be VERY dangerous. My dear departed DH was an electrical engineer. Even at home, he was always checking, checking, checking the few power strips he would allow in the house. IF we needed more outlets, he just ran another circuit which you obviously can't do on a cruise ship.

I remember one time he walked into the bathroom. Perched on a shelf was a power strip with my blow dryer, electric toothbrush, curling iron and make up airbrush kit all pulled in. I didn't hear the end of that for a LOOOONG time. We had a 4 outlet plug installed by the end of the week.

yes power strip is a power board, and most AUSTRALIANS wear thongs in public sorry could not help that one:D

I really hate it when people tell others to leave the mobile phone in the safe and not use them. The only way my life could be that simple was if I was the last person in my family alive and I was retired or employed by someone else. Or didn't care about anyone but myself.

How ever did we get on when mobile phones did not exist. It was in my lifetime.

In Australia where the power is 240V the power boards often match. Therefore the boards they take on a ship could easily overload if someone was daft enough to try and use it to overcapacity. If they are obnoxious enough to take a power board on heaven only knows what other devices they intent to smuggle on board.

yes power strip is a power board, and most AUSTRALIANS wear thongs in public sorry could not help that one:D

Thanks for answering.

Must have missed the Australians in their thongs. Oh well, won't be on the bucket list anytime soon.

Thanks again.

before we could use mobile phone on cruises the world did not end and many people on cruises were not the last person alive in their family,

it all worked fine,

Every one could watch a show on board with out a phone ringing, or have dinner or lunch or even breccy for that matter. if any one needed to get in contact with and passenger on any cruise ship in any part of the world before cell / mobile phones started to work on cruise ships, The big 'was'

was they could ring the ship and talk to any one they want to, the funny thing you still can.

The most entertaining the back then was watch all the people as soon we go near a port they all would run out side trying get there phones to work, so funny.

Thanks for answering.

Must have missed the Australians in their thongs. Oh well, won't be on the bucket list anytime soon.

Thanks again.

thongs are for our feet

It would be sooooo nice if one poster didn't have a pressing need to ridicule other people all the time. A simple, helpful reply would be nice whether in agreeance or not. :cool: :)

We take a power board for charging cameras and DH's shaver, but especially for medical equipment, bearing in mind the difference in voltages and in frequencies.

Edited by Sandielle

There is a simple reason the cruise lines ban the use of power boards onboard.

They can & have caused ship fires.

Some years ago a ship anchored off Port Kembla had an accommodation fire.

AMSA findings were it was caused by a powerboard. In that case the fire was put out with just a few cabins damaged.

Consider the damage & loss of life after the fire on Star Princess - started by a smoker. There is a report online that makes very interesting reading.

Minimizing the risks of Fire at Sea is what it is all about.

Breaking the rules could end up with you not being allowed to do the cruise.

So if everybody follows the rules - all onboard will be a lot safer.

It would be sooooo nice if one poster didn't have a pressing need to ridicule other people all the time. A simple, helpful reply would be nice whether in agreeance or not. :cool: :)

We take a power board for charging cameras and DH's shaver, but especially for medical equipment, bearing in mind the difference in voltages and in frequencies.

Agree with you. It is almost like the behaviour of a school-yard bully !

Agree with you. It is almost like the behaviour of a school-yard bully !
it was only a idea into how he could solve the problem of charging all of is cameras with out a power board.

As I mentioned in another world if people have the need for a powerboard let the cruiseline hire them what they deem a suitable apparatus.... i for one subscribe to Thied and Sutho's theory of how to manage my electrical requirements so have never had a problem with recharging our 2 laptops , 2 mobile phones and 2 camera's.

ps: on cruises John uses power in bathroom for shaver .....

Edited by badgerbill

As I mentioned in another world if people have the need for a powerboard let the cruiseline hire them what they deem a suitable apparatus.....

Maybe like the one I have at home, it has four outlets and a circuit breaker, If 10 amps is exceeded a little button pops out and turns it off.

it was only a idea into how he could solve the problem of charging all of is cameras with out a power board.

I am not disagreeing at all with any of the valid suggestions being made, they are informative, however I do not like the abusive terms used to put forward that information......

Originally Posted by KarateMan

Of all the ridiculous and stupid things that people do this one would stand out as bizarre, idiotic and completely ridiculous. The mind boggles just to think of why people do it, what goes through their mind and exactly what planet or parallel universe they are living in.

Were these extra sentences necessary? I don't believe they were. If you are passing on relevant and factual information, you don't have to brow-beat people as well. :(

I am not disagreeing at all with any of the valid suggestions being made' date=' they are informative, however I do not like the abusive terms used to put forward that information......

[b']Originally Posted by KarateMan

Of all the ridiculous and stupid things that people do this one would stand out as bizarre, idiotic and completely ridiculous. The mind boggles just to think of why people do it, what goes through their mind and exactly what planet or parallel universe they are living in.[/b]

Were these extra sentences necessary? I don't believe they were. If you are passing on relevant and factual information, you don't have to brow-beat people as well. :(

I cant see what is wrong with using expressions and terms as such. I found it incredibly surprising that people would not have the common sense to realise that it is a major safety issue. All these sorts of terms are printed in media daily and used in news stories, tv news and current affairs as descriptive terms for situations.

What words would you use to describe people who use their mobile phone whilst driving, words to describe people who drive without a seatbelt, words to describe someone who would discard a smouldering cigarette driving through bushland.

All of the above situations are a defiance of common sense and logic and would call for a description to emphasis a point or sense of importance that the subject brings up.

To cut the long story short power boards on cruise ships is so mind boggling to me I fail to understand how others fail to see the safety implications associated with it.

not sure if this is new but a RCI moderator posted this on facebook

you cannot take powerboards onboard the ship, they will be confiscated. We recommend taking a double power adapter instead. Please remember your AU to US power adapter as well

The OP original post is above with the Facebook statement, below is the policy statement from RCI:

What not to pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board our ships: irons, coffeemakers, candles, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives (such as fireworks), weapons (including knives, regardless of length), powerboards/extension cords and electrical transformers.

My guess is they have made this mandatory because only they know what can be used on their power generators and what can be plugged into their power points. The Electrical theory to answer most of these posts would require an electrical engineer from RCI to answer, because only they know the technical detail.

As a member of a Community Fire Unit through training we do not use a 240v household power board on our generators they can get hot, melt and can catch on fire. Would I take an AU power board or extension cord on RCI or overseas ship using US EU power supply and use it, NO.

The OP original post is above with the Facebook statement, below is the policy statement from RCI:

What not to pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board our ships: irons, coffeemakers, candles, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives (such as fireworks), weapons (including knives, regardless of length), powerboards/extension cords and electrical transformers.

My guess is they have made this mandatory because only they know what can be used on their power generators and what can be plugged into their power points. The Electrical theory to answer most of these posts would require an electrical engineer from RCI to answer, because only they know the technical detail.

As a member of a Community Fire Unit through training we do not use a 240v household power board on our generators they can get hot, melt and can catch on fire. Would I take an AU power board or extension cord on RCI or overseas ship using US EU power supply and use it, NO.

so the RCI moderator was right, the people that get caught taking power boards on do they get them back, myself personally i dont take one onboard as i only have a camers, mobile phone and netbook and they are charged up before leaving home

What not to pack

Thanks for the reply re 240V power boards which got laughs from other members when I made comment about them.

As for keeping items fully powered it has always come natural to me. I am able to go away for lengths of time without camera batteries going flat or even my mobile phone going flat. My shaver is just a $60 price range Remington sold at Big W that seems to have 100 min worth of charge in it.

As far as having the mobile phone on all the time. Hey I grew up in the 80's when we went out as kids there was no mobiles and you had to go to peoples house if you wanted an update or to see them or use a phone on the wall. Those were the days you could get through life without being constantly on call all the time and dependant on technology. Easiest thing to do on a cruise is switch off your mobile home. All your friends and family back home know your having a good time!

I am not disagreeing at all with any of the valid suggestions being made' date=' they are informative, however I do not like the abusive terms used to put forward that information......

Of all the ridiculous and stupid things that people do this one would stand out as bizarre, idiotic and completely ridiculous. The mind boggles just to think of why people do it, what goes through their mind and exactly what planet or parallel universe they are living in.[/b]

Exactly! One should be able to use one's intelligence to put across a point without having to resort to making derogatory remarks about others.

Yes, it is thoughtless to take aboard irons, kettles and such-like appliances, but a reminder in a more respectful tone would suffice.

Incidentally, we have permission to take our powerboard on the ship.

Exactly! One should be able to use one's intelligence to put across a point without having to resort to making derogatory remarks about others.

Yes, it is thoughtless to take aboard irons, kettles and such-like appliances, but a reminder in a more respectful tone would suffice.

Incidentally, we have permission to take our powerboard on the ship.

Ditto Sandielle. People come to these boards to find out pertinent information regarding upcoming cruises. I am sure they wish to receive this information without being called "stupid, ridiculous, idiotic, bizarre" as well as other personal insults thrown in. Perhaps KarateMan resorts to these insults because, in his own words, his brain is 'boggled'.

abusive?:rolleyes:

Seems to me that the problem is not the power boards but the high demand appliances which people insist on smuggling aboard.

The risk of fire from simultaneously charging a shaver, phone, camera & iPad would be minimal. They probably draw less than 100w combined. That's roughly 5% of the board's rated capacity.

Throw in a kettle, hair dryer and/or curling iron and you're asking for trouble.

We always make sure to take a power board with a surge protector. Do others think if you have put thought into taking a power board with a surge protector they may let it pass?

i read on the Carnival facebook site that a power board with a surge protector is not allowed