Best way to Orient Beach

CRocks

A taxi will work ... but a taxi for two (rather than the taxi van with multi stops ) is somewhat more expensive.

If the ship is offering an excursion you think you would like, it's worth considering ... easy and requires no advance planning on your part. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Taxi fare to Orient goes as low as $6 per person if they put 6 or more in a taxi, but If you want to go by yourself the quoted rate is $18 for one or two passengers.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

I would find it very difficult to justify using any Cruise Line related excursion just to go to Orient Beach.

gary

I would find it very difficult to justify using any Cruise Line related excursion just to go to Orient Beach.

gary

There are 6 ships in port with 20,000 passengers on Wednesday, Nov. 20. I've read there is total gridlock when so many passengers are on the island. But we really want to see Orient Beach!

To be on the safe side (so we don't miss the ship) we decided to take NCL Orient Beach Rendezvous excursion which is "4.5 hours and includes a rum punch or soft drink upon arrival and a delicious lunch, including a beer, wine, soda or mixed drink, is served at tables on the beach. Lounge chairs are complimentary and umbrellas are available for rent."

I'm second guessing myself and wonder if we should try to get there by taxi. This is our 1st trip to St. Maarten, so we're looking forward to it a lot, but those 20,000 passengers really scare me that we'll miss the ship.

Jandjct .... Don't second guess yourself!

While I feel sure you could get a taxi to Orient Beach, the excursion through the ship is absolutely fine and will cause you no anxiety or planning.

Your NCL excursion there with pick you up at the ship, take you to have fun, and return you to the ship. :)

Wait until the next time you are in St. Maarten to do it on your own if you wish. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

... the excursion through the ship is absolutely fine and will cause you no anxiety or planning. Your NCL excursion there with pick you up at the ship, take you to have fun, and return you to the ship. :) LuLu ~~~~

Thank you LuLu. This is supposed to be as stress free a vacation as possible. My DH has a crazy busy job so he really needs a break. So that sounds like good advice.

Certainly take the ship's excursion if that is what you decide, but be aware of the option to do it yourself, as well.

Orient Beach is only about 7 road miles from the Cruise Facility, and there is very rarely any traffic congestion on that route. I say allow for 45 minutes, but hope for 30. The video at NCL says their bus gets there in 20.

I posted in another thread here that was discussing going to an all-inclusive, but I think the information there can also pertain to your visit.

The people considering the all-inclusive were planning to pay $130 for two, and it looks like your excursion would be $128. Their's included transportation, so you would have to add $12 per person for round trip shared taxi to Orient.

I can certainly understand this if you're on-island and can do the entire day there, breakfast through dinner, but if you're a cruiser and have limited time to spend there to enjoy, I'm not sure that it makes $$ sense.

I kind of did this calculation once before, but let's take another look at an All-Inclusive day vs. a do-it-yourself day on Orient where we go All-In.

The referenced day at Sonesta Maho is $130 for two.

Let's go to Orange Fever. I'm familiar with it and I have some current prices.

First two drinks are included with chair and umbrella, but we'll order some appetizers. $14 for chairs for the day.

* Chicken Wings "Ailes de poulet " : $6

* Mozzarella Cheese Sticks "Bâtons de mozza " : $6

Before lunch we'll go through four beers, a frozen drink and three rum punches. (We're on vacation.) 4x$3, $6, 3x$4 = $30

Order a nice lunch.

Share some Escargot with garlic butter. $6.00

Cheeseburger (black angus) : $10.50

Steak 8oz, american cheese, tomatoe, salad, onion + french fries

Grill Mahi-Mahi with Garlic Butter sauce : $14.50

mixt vegetables & basmati rice

Another beer and a glass of wine with lunch. $3 + $3 = $6

Now we'll settle in for the afternoon with four more beers, two more frozen drinks and two more rum punches. (Hey, we're not driving.) 4x$3, 2x$6, 2x$4 = $32

I think our day at Orange Fever just totals out to $125.

Taxi prices are about the same though Orient is a couple dollars cheaper, and you don't have to worry about traffic or bridge openings.

We report, you decide. :)

gary

Archived