Whats not to miss in Windjammer

Same here. Mayo on fries. Ketchup is so over rated..... : D

Of course malt vinegar is good too (and no, I'm not English;) )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Everyone

This is my first post but having a blast reading all your favourite food choices in the Windjammer. We will be going on our first cruise from San Jaun on Jewel OTS on Nov 9th. Being British we have a more sophisticated taste than our American cousins !!!!!! ( I have a lot of very good freinds in the States so dont shoot me) Can I respectfully suggest that when taking your Chips (sorry, French fries) you try Curry sauce, plain salt and vinegar or heaven forbid, melted cheese. Mayo, ketchup etc, is so over-rated. I have even been known to use American (sic) mustard to use as a dipping sauce (just thin it a little with creme fresh) delish!!!!!!

Love spinach, little chedder and some hot sauce omelet

Do they have just egg whites as well.. Not that I really eat healthy to begin with.. But don't mind egg whites..

Yes! They can also be ordered to be made with no oil and are excellent.

If one orders multiple entrees or appetizers at the same time, there will not be much of a delay for others at the table. The problem comes into play if they order one item, finish and then decide to order another. That causes the delays for everyone at the table.

Yes, and it's just our family at the table (never been less than 5 of us), all seasoned cruisers so we nicely explain the multiple appetizers. He can finish off multiple appetizers while we have one. He asks the waiter, on the first night, if he can have two of ___ fill in the blank with the appetizer. After the first meal, and seeing that he wastes nothing brought to him and that we all seem to finish the course at about the same time, the waiters don't need to be told anything and will say, "I'm bringing you two", which is one of the reasons we LOVE eating in the MDR and LOVE the waiters.

Edited by griffy116

Hi Everyone

This is my first post but having a blast reading all your favourite food choices in the Windjammer. We will be going on our first cruise from San Jaun on Jewel OTS on Nov 9th. Being British we have a more sophisticated taste than our American cousins !!!!!! ( I have a lot of very good freinds in the States so dont shoot me) Can I respectfully suggest that when taking your Chips (sorry, French fries) you try Curry sauce, plain salt and vinegar or heaven forbid, melted cheese. Mayo, ketchup etc, is so over-rated. I have even been known to use American (sic) mustard to use as a dipping sauce (just thin it a little with creme fresh) delish!!!!!!

Actually, I like my French Fries (Chips) dipped in HP sauce! Yummy!

I advise everyone to steer clear of the cold fruit soups. I am very adventurous with food, but that is beyond my range of enjoyment.

I really enjoy the cold fruit soups, but I only have them in the MDR, served in a glass! but for my windjammer have to have is the shrimp sushi...hope they still serve it in Dec when I am on the EX

Mayo mixed with ketchup to dip french fries in!!!

We ONLY eat in the Windjammer. The breakfasts are delish - the oatmeal (or porridge as the Aussies call it), is really good. The sweet rolls in the morning are also really good! Or mix yogurt with fruit and granola - also a good meal for the morning!

Since they offer crème brule every night in the mdr, do they have that in Windjammer too?

I saw it a few times but certainly not every day/night. Remember that in WJ, the desserts are more often served "family style", so you get one big ol' bowl of crème brule with a thin layer of crunch on the top that others have destroyed anyway. ;)

Honey stung chicken! It was so good!

I was the only one in our group of 17 who got it that day and we looked for it every other day not knowing it was only available on the first day. I swore it was called bee stung chicken on the Oasis though...

You can get honey stung chicken from room service other days. Some friends we met on our cruise last week on the Grandeur, ordered it for a get together in their suite for several of us on the last sea day.

Gwen :)

The indian food, of all types, well not true indian but close.

Now here is something no one has mentioned or maybe it was a one and done dish. On the Monarch, for lunch first day, they had a Shepard's pie that was to die for, we have looked for it on all cruises since then but never found it.

I just had it on the Grandeur last week, but they called it "Cottage Pie". Was very good.

Omigosh, 9 pages of posts and nobody's mentioned BRAN MUFFINS???:eek::D They are the best!

And you guys have found things I've never seen or heard of -- like the Moroccan lamb soup. Will have to look for that.

Funny experience on a Western Med cruise: our high-school graduate daughter and I were going thru the WJ line and came across a big tray of green goo. There wasn't a sign to identify it. "What do you think it is, mom?" "Don't know..." And from behind us in a strong (what we later discovered was Yorkshire) accent: "you've never seen "mooshy" peas before?" We told him in the US they came in little glass jars and babies ate them!:D That cruise had some interesting food items, including the blood sausage mentioned before.

And not all ships have it, but many do: wonderful grits for breakfast! mmmmm...

I just had it on the Grandeur last week, but they called it "Cottage Pie". Was very good.

Shepherds Pie should be made with minced lamb and cottage pie with minced beef. Otherwise they are just the same.

we didn't go to WJ at dinner but for breakfast I love to get some lox and make a sandwich with a croissant. dh has the beef hash and crunchy hash brown patty every morning. at lunch, actually the tuna "spread" they call it is good on some crusty bread, but its also fun to try some of the curries and other dishes I don't cook. I like the flavored waters but if too sweet dilute with more water. We tried sushi at Jade in the WJ on the FOS and the mango ones were interesting. grab a yummy cookie (I like the coconut) and a choc milk for a "vacation-only" treat!