Dreamer333 - Great Lakes Cruises

Druke I

Dreamer

Couldn't locate your e-mail address. Sometime ago you stated you wished there were more cruises into the Great Lakes. Not Princess, but interesting.

World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society's Bill Miller reports 7-8-05 that Detroit may build a new cruise terminal, for Cape May Light and her sister, coastal steamers built around 2000 for defunct Delta Queen Company. Nifty little ships, 114 passenger cabins, American built and flagged. We had hoped to sail on one of them, had they made it out to the West Coast - but the company went belly-up.

Plans apparently in initial planning stages - but US Gov't ready to auction the vessels. Not sure, but think they are tied up with the reserve fleet in James River.

• 1 month later...

The two ships in question have just been put up for sale, as per the MARINE TRANSPORTATION CONSULTANTS website, so maybe there will be some movement on this front.

What I'd like to see is a ship the size of the Columbus more geared to north americans (bigger pool deck, more balcony cabins, etc.) I know a ship longer then the Columbus would fit in the locks, but anyone who's seen a great lakes freighter knows what a weird looking cruise ship that would be! I know, it's just a dream that I'll be boarding a mid-market cruise ship in Toronto anytime soon but who knows, maybe there's a way to make that maket work.

Archived