pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

Here is my take on this subject:

I cruise Carnival because I enjoy their product. I leave all the tips on ($11.50 p.d p.p.). Most of the time we tip extra cash to whoever we feel did a superb job. We have always had great service. If our room steward (or whoever) did not do an exemplary job, we wouldn't give him extra.

I've talked to our waiters and stewards, etc. Many of them leave their homes and families for a long time. Yes, it is their choice to do so. I feel as though I should do my small little part to help them out.

I think it is wrong to be cheap. But on the other hand, I don't think others should worry about if other people tip or don't tip. I'm only responsible for myself.

We have gotten some really good deals on cruises with Carnival.....some as inexpensive as $50 something a day. Surely, I (or anyone) can afford to tip $11.50 a day!

Anyway, Happy cruising to all!!!!

Duh, you are on a Cruise Ship! The tips are added onto your account usually the 2nd or 3rd day of the Cruise. So, unless you are jumping Ship what difference does it make if they are added on the last night of the Cruise or the 1st day!

FYI: There are restaurants on land (especially in some tourist areas) and also at Resort restaurants that do automatically add the Gratuity on regardless of the number of people. The majority of restaurants in the U.S. do automatically add a Grat for parties of 8 or more.

In Europe the Grat is automatically added onto the check at restaurants.

Please don't take this as being rude but you need to get out more!!!

Bottom line: The bad tippers on land are the same people who are removing their tips on a Cruise. They are a certain type and are sucky people!!!

"Don't take it as being rude", yet start your response with "DUH? :rolleyes

It's your analogy but yoiu're tweaking your case. Your new statement about when the cruiseline applies their tip is equivalent to haviing a reastaurant add a tip to your bill just around when my appetizer is being served.

But ultimately, when is it right for them to add the tips to my account when I intend on tipping with cash? The answer is never.

And no need to further define your restaurant conditiins to fit your agenda. But I certainly don't understand the line you are attempting to draw between someione paying tips in cash to be a bad tipper.

Edited by Pine Bluff

"Don't take it as being rude", yet start your response with "DUH? :rolleyes

It's your analogy but yoiu're tweaking your case. Your new statement about when the cruiseline applies their tip is equivalent to haviing a reastaurant add a tip to your bill just around when my appetizer is being served.

But ultimately, when is it right for them to add the tips to my account when I intend on tipping with cash? The answer is never.

And no need to further define your restaurant conditiins to fit your agenda. But I certainly don't understand the line you are attempting to draw between someione paying tips in cash to be a bad tipper.

i disagree. not tweaking. most restaurants that do include gratuities for parties of 8 or more tell you up front. So its on the bill before you order.

Bad analogy. I don't know any restaurants that add the tip to your tab before being served by the ownwers, holding you hostage to pay their employee.

What difference does it make when they " add it to your tab " ? They don't deduct it from your account until the end of the cruise, and the services are rendered.

GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!

There are people that tip at the beginning of a cruise (say giving $10 or $20) to a room steward to get that service (real or perceived).

It's probably cultural again, but the only way I can rationalise this is that's it's a bribe. "Here's some money <wink>, you know what to do." I know most Americans won't see it that way though. :D

I regularly travel all over Europe with my job, eat in lots of restaurants and I can say that this is very rarely the case. Perhaps when in large groups of 8/10 or more it is sometimes automatically added but hardly ever when just one or a couple of people.

Duh, you are on a Cruise Ship! The tips are added onto your account usually the 2nd or 3rd day of the Cruise. So, unless you are jumping Ship what difference does it make if they are added on the last night of the Cruise or the 1st day!

FYI: There are restaurants on land (especially in some tourist areas) and also at Resort restaurants that do automatically add the Gratuity on regardless of the number of people. The majority of restaurants in the U.S. do automatically add a Grat for parties of 8 or more.

Please don't take this as being rude but you need to get out more!!!

Bottom line: The bad tippers on land are the same people who are removing their tips on a Cruise. They are a certain type and are sucky people!!!

And to add to your post their are also night clubs that add the gratuity and make you pay before service is rendered and it cannot be adjusted(down) or removed !!!

It's probably cultural again, but the only way I can rationalise this is that's it's a bribe. "Here's some money <wink>, you know what to do." I know most Americans won't see it that way though. :D

I am American and a bartender all my life and love being bribed !! Everyone in the world loves money especially ones in the service industry.When I go to a bar they always remember me and I am never thirsty ;)

I am American and a bartender all my life and love being bribed !! Everyone in the world loves money especially ones in the service industry.When I go to a bar they always remember me and I am never thirsty ;)

To be fair whenever I go to a bar I am never thirsty either. :)

Let's be honest, bribery exists all over the world in various forms. You Americans have done very well to dress it up as philanthropy, fair play to ya! :D

If I'm ever thirsty in a bar I expect a very quick closing to the doors of that place.

If I'm ever thirsty in a bar I expect a very quick closing to the doors of that place.

You would be very surprised :)

Reminds me of watching the View yesterday ,they interviewed a guy who worked in the hotel industry and wrote a book about it . Cheap people hide your toothbrush its not a myth :)

Edited by mikel24m

You would be very surprised :)

Reminds me of watching the View yesterday ,they interviewed a guy who worked in the hotel industry and wrote a book about it . Cheap people hide your toothbrush its not a myth :)

Good thing I don't bring my toothbrush to the bar.

But further proves the point to tip at the end.

Edited by Tithonus

Is anyone able to show any clarity on my earlier question as to whether the guys that do room service are included in the auto-tipping pool?

They probably are, on a case by case basis. Just like crew members on the Lido during lunch, some of them also are waiters in the dining room at night. On one occasion, from my experience, room service was brought by the waiter in the next section over.

And that server shot herself in the wallet. Her loss.

And also why some wait to the end.

I simply let my staff know. Usually they are glad cause they have the money in their hands earlier than if they get it from Carnival.

And from the time I tell them, if service slips, then they shoot themselves in the foot. Yet, it's never happened.

And that server shot herself in the wallet. Her loss.

And also why some wait to the end.

I simply let my staff know. Usually they are glad cause they have the money in their hands earlier than if they get it from Carnival.

And from the time I tell them, if service slips, then they shoot themselves in the foot. Yet, it's never happened.

Ahh the ole "im going to take good care of you at the end" LOL

Got to love those rolled up $20 bill palmed the cabin steward for a weeks work

Go to work next week and get half of your paycheck and do the same job you always do !!!

Ahh the ole "im going to take good care of you at the end" LOL

Got to love those rolled up $20 bill palmed the cabin steward for a weeks work

Go to work next week and get half of your paycheck and do the same job you always do !!!

Nope. And there's also that extra $56 discretionary dollars I throw one way the other, or split it. All one of the three ways CCL says you can tip.

I love the way Disney does it. If you prepay tips, they deliver little Vouchers and envelopes so you can physically hand the crew members your tips. They also have them readily available for those that don't prepay, I miss doing that On carnival- that would be my reason for not auto tipping although I always do, I like to give them Something concrete and KNOW What is for them is going to them.

As far as tips being part of the salary-Well, yeah. That is what these workers sign up for. Low base wage and the balance depends On service and reward, Just like restaurant servers and bartenders- I don't Understand why people Are so outraged about that, Not like the workers Aren't Aware of What their base wages are, Some people tip, Some don't- bartenders Know that, room stewards know that. service industry workers Are aware And chance dealing with the no and low tippers because of the promise Of A bigger reward. As a bartender, I got stiffed Occasionally, but I also got large tips for Small Orders, It usually balances Out, and Obviously Must make Some kind of sense for these workers or there wouldn't be thousands voluntarily doing it,

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app