Old San Juan at night. Safe? Things open?

Aunu

I have been to OSJ twice now. Will be there a third time in January. I personally don't feel that OSJ is any less safe than your typical city in the states. I have walked around at night with just my sister but only a block or two from the hotel we are staying at. With our spouses we have walked all over the place one night pre-cruise.

It's an awesome city. I'm not sure what the city will look like on a Monday but I assume that if a ship is in port, there will be places open!

Obviously, you need to be smart no matter where you are. I don't venture too far at night on my own in my own city of Louisville, KY. So, go with a partner, avoid unlit areas and if some places looks questionable, avoid them.

I have read online that an area of OSJ to avoid is the La Perla area. I am not sure where that actually is though. Either we never made it to that area or we were oblivious. I'm sure if you googled it you could get the names of the streets for that area.

I hope you have a great time there!

I have read online that an area of OSJ to avoid is the La Perla area. I am not sure where that actually is though. Either we never made it to that area or we were oblivious. I'm sure if you googled it you could get the names of the streets for that area.

I hope you have a great time there!

La Perla is an area between El Moro and Fort Christobal just passed the cemetery and down by the waterfront. It's off of Bulevar del Valle. Apparently the place for illegal drugs. We were walking from Christobal over towards El Moro one evening on Bulevar del Valle and were stopped by a local man walking his dog who told us to beware of a group of kids on bikes that had just come up from the La Perla district. He told us to head back toward the better lit streets of OSJ where there were more people. We did take his advice, that was the only time we've ever felt even a little unsafe in OSJ.

It's all common sense. Like some have said, it's not unlike any city at night. There will be restaurants, pubs and bars open but no shops or tourist attractions other than the city itself. That said, if you like photography you will LOVE San Juan at night.

La Perla is a low income community that lies just outside the walls of OSJ. The main entrance is located in the street that connects both forts. There is always people walking up and down between the forts, be it locals or tourists. While it's considered the "bad part of town" they don't really mess with tourist. This is where the commons sense comes in. OSJ has lots of places that can be open to crime like narrow, poorly lit alleys and streets that you'd avoid anywhere anyway so just do it there as well.

Archived