All things Getaway

Medtech2

Hi Everyone!

This will be our first cruise with Norweigian. My first question is for past Norwegian cruisers and your experience with their debarkation process. First, is it usually timely? The itinerary shows the ship arrives back in Miami at 8 a.m., and debarkation takes place within 2 hours.

Next, we're looking at flights out of Fort Lauderdale and would like advice on the earliest time we can book.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Barb

You get to choose the time you disembark the ship by choosing a colored luggage tag that corresponds with the time you want. The very earliest would be the self disembark group, but you would have to carry off your own luggage. We chose a 9:00 am departure time on our December cruise and our color was called about 30 minutes early. I would not go to Ft Lauderdale by taxi. That is likely to be pricey. We always use a shuttle service like SAS. They always pick up quickly. NCL does have transfers as well, but probably more expensive than a shuttle and I'm not sure what time their first one leaves. I think you could be at the airport by 10:00 or even earlier if you are in the first group off the ship, but you might want to give yourself a time cushion to allow for delays and unforeseen events.

You get to choose the time you disembark the ship by choosing a colored luggage tag that corresponds with the time you want. The very earliest would be the self disembark group, but you would have to carry off your own luggage. We chose a 9:00 am departure time on our December cruise and our color was called about 30 minutes early. I would not go to Ft Lauderdale by taxi. That is likely to be pricey. We always use a shuttle service like SAS. They always pick up quickly. NCL does have transfers as well, but probably more expensive than a shuttle and I'm not sure what time their first one leaves. I think you could be at the airport by 10:00 or even earlier if you are in the first group off the ship, but you might want to give yourself a time cushion to allow for delays and unforeseen events.

What is the latest available departure time? Do you get these luggage tags on board?

What is the latest available departure time? Do you get these luggage tags on board?

The tags are put out on display in the Atrium area near the Guest services desk, usually on Thursday around 4:00. You just pick the tag that corresponds with the time you want to leave the ship. Once your color has been called, you can go at any time after that.

Your bags should be tagged and placed outside your cabin by usually 11:00 pm the night before arrival back in Miami. The ships are usually in way before the stated arrival time, but must wait to be cleared by Customs before disembarkation is called. Don't forget to leave out something to wear the following morning and something to carry to stash your nightclothes in;).

7:45 is usually the first call and that is for walk offs if you want to carry your own luggage. If you do that, obviously you do not need colored tags at all. All times are estimates. Our last cruise, our color was called early. Last stated time for departure on our Epic cruise was 10:00 am. The luggage is grouped together in the terminal by colored tag. Make sure you go to the correct terminal which corresponds to your color. There are three I believe for Getaway. ( terminals, that is ). Your Freestyle Daily newsletter will have all the info you need.

Edited by punkincc

Someone who is lucky enough to sail her early...please please please. Post menus. Wondering what they are serving in Flamingos and MDR.

Also what age groups are the kids club..... will my 10 and 12 YO be togther?...that would not be good :-)

Can not wait for some more info on her.

Not sailing until 5/31/14

The ages for Splash Academy are 3-5, 6-9, 10-12.

I will be on Getaway Pre-Inaugural 1/27 out of New York City with my 13 year old so we will confirm ages again and will be doing another Live from the ship like we did for Breakaway :)

The tags are put out on display in the Atrium area near the Guest services desk, usually on Thursday around 4:00. You just pick the tag that corresponds with the time you want to leave the ship. Once your color has been called, you can go at any time after that.

Your bags should be tagged and placed outside your cabin by usually 11:00 pm the night before arrival back in Miami. The ships are usually in way before the stated arrival time, but must wait to be cleared by Customs before disembarkation is called. Don't forget to leave out something to wear the following morning and something to carry to stash your nightclothes in;).

7:45 is usually the first call and that is for walk offs if you want to carry your own luggage. If you do that, obviously you do not need colored tags at all. All times are estimates. Our last cruise, our color was called early. Last stated time for departure on our Epic cruise was 10:00 am. The luggage is grouped together in the terminal by colored tag. Make sure you go to the correct terminal which corresponds to your color. There are three I believe for Getaway. ( terminals, that is ). Your Freestyle Daily newsletter will have all the info you need.

Thanks for the info! We have a late afternoon flight so no need to rush off the ship.

Hello folks, haven't been on CC for a while since I had no cruise planned, although I was thinking about Epic out of FL in February. I see this was discussed earlier but I'm just wondering if anyone knows. I live in NY, and am actually volunteering Super Bowl Weekend on Friday night at a NYC hotel so I need to be home for that. We were actually planning on flying to Southeast Florida right after the Super Bowl. NOW they announce Getaway as the official Bud Light Super Bowl ship and I saw this two day cruise for $99 to Nassau...if that ship had been going right to Miami I'd already be booked! We called NCL and they said the February 5-8 is a private charter from Nassau to Miami before the inaugural. Anyone know who has that charter? I'm currently investigating cheap ways to get from Nassau to Miami or Fort Lauderdale....boy that airfare is high for an hour flight!

I see there are a lot of excited people on here. I am sorry to jump in here, but if reference to the question of a few "chartered" / missing sailing dates..

I will be on one of the Travel agent cruises on the Getaway. There is a 2 nighter in NYC and a one nighter in Miami (Feb 7 to 8th). This might help to see why there are empty sail dates.. Hope that helps a little.

Kevin

Then you might consider booking a post cruise Miami tour offered by NCL for the day and they will drop you at the airport when done.

Have you ever done one? Our flight isn't until 5 pm, so I was looking at one. What do you do with your luggage while you're on the tour?

Have you ever done one? Our flight isn't until 5 pm, so I was looking at one. What do you do with your luggage while you're on the tour?

Hey, we did the Everglades Tour through NCL. I enjoyed it. It was on one of those airboats. Then they drove us to the airport. I believe we got to the airport around 1pm...

Hey, we did the Everglades Tour through NCL. I enjoyed it. It was on one of those airboats. Then they drove us to the airport. I believe we got to the airport around 1pm...

That's the one I was looking at. I think we may just go ahead and do that. At least we won't be bored, and I don't have to worry about the luggage.

That's the one I was looking at. I think we may just go ahead and do that. At least we won't be bored, and I don't have to worry about the luggage.

It did take all the stress out of schlepping luggage and killing time, lol...

We're booked now for May 3rd on Getaway. Does anyone know if one can book the entertainment venues ahead like I did on my Allure and Oasis cruises.?

I recently booked on the breakaway and it allowed me to precook some entertainment options (cirque dinner, rock of ages, etc) so you should be able to for the getaway.