Sydney Area Fires: Future Impacts?

I mean look really as far as the average tourist goes its business as usual visiting Sydney, especially all the city attractions. The blue mountains where the fires were is a looooooong way west and a big day trip that tourists take as a Sydney extra exscursion. The only thing the Sydney tourist would have had to put up with recently is a day or two of smoke haze in the city that had drifted for quite a while.

To be blunt the news media survives on sensationalism and capitalising on any sort of mayhem and beating it up. I'm not saying it wasn't tragic for those who lost their house in some little towns in the blue mountains, what I am saying is for media who make it sound like the whole of Sydney is on fire is total BS.

To me personally NZ has much better mountainous countryside that Australia, we do beach and coast much better and our cities are larger and more cosmopolitan so Id say thorougly explore Sydney city and maybe a day tour to the central coast and hunter valley wineries and Newcastle (my area:))

I think we can blame our Prime Minister Tony Abbott for the bush fires because the first thing he did when elected in September was move to abolish the carbon tax, which everybody in the world knew was stopping global warming......so it must be his fault..........nothing to do with the greenies opposing hazard reduction which reduces the fuels available for the fire..... The aboriginals for thousands of years have burnt the land and helped to regenerate it but a few D...heads with an opposing view have stuffed it up........anyway no that I have had my say......TLCOhio it will not adversely affect your trip down under at all, in fact if you were to visit those areas affected by the bush fires when you are here they would be even prettier.

By the way ,when you do check in for your cruise come an say "gidday mate" ....cheers

Its funny that isn't it how people quickly forget about things. The greens are notorious for damaging the environment by opposing many safety measures including back burning. Ironically it is the greens that seem to jump on the bandwagon and suggest all these reconciliation ideas with Aboriginals yet they have no respect for and nor do they support how the Aboriginals let Australia burn to prevent dangerous fires and also to regenerate the bushland.

People also seem to forget that fires have been dangerous and destructive long before our settlement here.

The Aboriginals should have been given more credit and listened to about how to prevent the fires.

If you ever visit Northern Territory and in particular Uluru/Ayers Rock, the green groups and extreme left will try and make an issue about climbing the rock while on the same hand they disrespect the Aboriginal culture about forbidding the female sex to look upon Kata Tjuta/The Olgas which is punishable by spearing to death in their culture. They all seem to tell you that this is a bigger issue for the greens and lefties in Northern Territory than hazard reduction burning out there. When I visited there apparently fire is a problem there too and the Aboriginals concerns about the lack of hazard reduction burning often fell on deaf ears while the greens and labor would champion the cause of weather you could climb the rock or not.

We were in Tasmania in March and saw the destruction caused by the fires earlier,very sad, but the trees had all started to regenerate very quickly as is the way with eucalyptus varieties...so we were told. Sandy in Spain

gbenjo: TLCOhio it will not adversely affect your trip down under at all' date=' in fact if you were to visit those areas affected by the bush fires when you are here they would be even prettier. By the way, [b']when you do check in for your cruise come and say "gidday mate"[/b] ....cheers

Rencruzr: I mean look really as far as the average tourist goes its business as usual visiting Sydney' date=' especially all the city attractions. The blue mountains where the fires were is a looooooong way west and a big day trip that tourists take as a Sydney extra exscursion. The only thing the Sydney tourist would have had to put up with recently is a day or two of smoke haze in the city that had drifted for quite a while. To be blunt the [b']news media survives on sensationalism and capitalising on any sort of mayhem[/b] and beating it up. I'm not saying it wasn't tragic for those who lost their house in some little towns in the blue mountains, what I am saying is for media who make it sound like the whole of Sydney is on fire is total BS. To me personally NZ has much better mountainous countryside that Australia, we do beach and coast much better and our cities are larger and more cosmopolitan so Id say thorougly explore Sydney city and maybe a day tour to the central coast and hunter valley wineries and Newcastle (my area)

KarateMan: Its funny that isn't it how people quickly forget about things. The greens are notorious for damaging the environment by opposing many safety measures including back burning. Ironically it is the greens that seem to jump on the bandwagon and suggest all these reconciliation ideas with Aboriginals yet they have no respect for and nor do they support how the Aboriginals let Australia burn to prevent dangerous fires and also to regenerate the bushland. People also seem to forget that fires have been dangerous and destructive long before our settlement here. The Aboriginals should have been given more credit and listened to about how to prevent the fires.

Appreciate from Sandy in Spain and those in Australia these above added insights' date=' comments, background, etc. Will share on our roll call that [b']just went over 50,000 views[/b] last night. Very active and good group for our cruise that is now only 86 days away from our boarding in super scenic Sydney harbor.

From gbenjo, like your "when you do check in for your cruise come an say 'giddy mate' " suggestion. Good comments on "NZ has much better mountainous countryside that Australia".

From AccuWeather news this morning, they have this headline: "Thousands of Animals Hurt by Wildfires in Australia" with these highlights: "More than 100 wildfires developed last week across southeast Australia leading to the worst fire crisis in decades. In Australia's most populous state, New South Wales, the fires raged for nearly a week before firefighters finally gained the upper hand on the largest blazes. In total, more than 300,000 acres of land were consumed by the fires that took thousands of firefighters to contain. Much of the focus is now shifting toward locating wildlife that have been injured or displaced by the recent wildfires. The animal rescue group WIRES, combined with many local residents have already been searching scorched areas for surviving animals that need aid following the most recent wildfires according to Strait Times. The New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service stated, while it is unclear how many animals have been killed, thousands have likely been affected. Since July, Sydney, Australia, has only received 4.59 inches of rainfall, or about 36 percent of the normal rainfall. Temperatures have also been about 6 degrees above average. The combination of the extremely dry weather, unseasonable warmth and rounds of gusty winds has produced the ideal conditions for wildfires spark and spread rapidly over southeast Australia."

Good, helpful, added background on the weather conditions, etc., for this part of Australia.

Full story at:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/thousands-of-animals-hurt-by-w/19097170

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 121,457 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived