Truman Little White House

Marseydotes

Is the Little White House near any of the City View trolley stops? Would fellow history junkies recommend it over Hemingway House?

Stop # 1 on City View and Old Town, although you will have to walk a few blocks to get there.

I thought the Little White House tour was somewhat boring with the most interesting thing being the poker table, but there is much that they tell you at the Hemingway House that has been made up to make him more interesting, as if he needed this. But at least the house is pretty much the way it was when he lived there with the exception of the books on the shelves. He took them with him when he moved out. And it is interesting to peek into the writng room which he had built over the carriage house. And there's a nice gift shop / book store there.

Pjk

What I like about the Truman Winter White House is the kind of Twilight Zone step back into 1940s and early 1950s furniture and decor. Also it is interesting to see the bedrooms. It seems that President Truman and his wife had separate bedrooms for whatever reason.

I enjoyed seeing the original "Buck stops here" sign on Truman's desk.

Another thing that is interesting is how simple and modest the furnishings are. I always think, perhapd incorrectly, that US Presidents have much more luxurious lodging, but the Little White House is anything but luxurious.

Hemingway's House is interesting too but for different reasons and represents very different taste and experiences.

Archived