Ship Time/Island Time

emen822

I'm confusing myself like crazy so I hope someone can help me...

Here is my scenario. We are cruising in February and stopping in Falmouth from 8-5. I would like to book the Hilton Rose Hall and the transfer pick up is at 9:15. Normally it would seem we dock that morning and have an hour and 15 minutes before having to get on the bus to the resort. Maybe my memory is fuzzy but do we always change our watches to be on ship time? Or is it just on certain itineraries? I hope this makes sense to someone and they can help me with my confusion. :confused::confused:

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Jamaca is in the Eastern Time zone, In the winter, it will be the same time as in Florida, if that is where the ship is sailing from and ship time and local time will be the same. It is only in the summer when the US goes on Daylight Saving time. which Jamaca does not observe will the time be different.

I'm confusing myself like crazy so I hope someone can help me...

Here is my scenario. We are cruising in February and stopping in Falmouth from 8-5. I would like to book the Hilton Rose Hall and the transfer pick up is at 9:15. Normally it would seem we dock that morning and have an hour and 15 minutes before having to get on the bus to the resort. Maybe my memory is fuzzy but do we always change our watches to be on ship time? Or is it just on certain itineraries? I hope this makes sense to someone and they can help me with my confusion. :confused::confused:

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Dear Mary, First take a breath and relax. Falmouth is easy. The time the ship arrives and departs is always based on ship time. Local excursion providers (especially Falmouth) know this. Even if your clock is two hours off local the tour times will work out OK. Try not to over think it. Just keep your watch on ship time and it will be OK.

We always keep our watches on Ship times, this way we avoid being late. We also don't schedule any tours lasting over 4 hours this gives us time to walk around town at the end of the tour and leisurely get back to the ship. I base our tours on the length of time we are in Port.

What about the Jewel itineraries out of San Juan? We will be on both the Barbados and the Aruba itineraries. We have booked excursions in 6 ports independently and most say the pick up time is local time. Are all of these ports in the same time zone as San Juan where we are starting our cruises?

This will be in May, so if any of them observe DST it could be different.

What about the Jewel itineraries out of San Juan? We will be on both the Barbados and the Aruba itineraries. We have booked excursions in 6 ports independently and most say the pick up time is local time. Are all of these ports in the same time zone as San Juan where we are starting our cruises?

This will be in May, so if any of them observe DST it could be different.

San Juan is Atlantic Standard Time (UTC/GMT-4) year round with no DST offset. I believe all your stops are AST, I know Aruba and Barbados are. So once you get to San Juan there should be no further time changes on your trip.

Just cruised Freedom last week and also booked the Hilton Rose Hall. Ship time was an hour later (eastern) than local time (central) because of daylight savings. My reservation for the Rose Hall said that the transfer would depart 45 minutes after the ship's arrival (but 9:15 local would be the earliest departure if ships arrived before 8:30 local). I believe we arrived around 10 ship time (cleared to debark around 10:15), and the transfer departed just after 11 ship time. Our bus driver set the transfer time back to the ship for 4:00 local, which was 5:00 ship. All aboard was 6:30 and we had no problem making it back to the ship. Hope all that wasn't too confusing. FYI - we stayed on ship time the entire cruise.

In January, Jamaica should be the same time as eastern standard time. It would depend upon which port you are departing from to know if it would be the same or different from ship time. If ship time changes, they will notify you the night before with a note in your stateroom.

Quick review of Hilton Rose Hall....It was nice but not necessarily something I would spend almost $100 per person on again. The beach water was very rocky and murky, so we couldn't see the rocks we were about to step on. I definitely recommend water shoes! There were also several pieces of trash in the water (plastic wrappers, etc). The lazy river and slide were fun, but we could only handle going around in small circles for a period of time. We didn't spend much time at the larger pool. It looked like your basic resort pool. The food was good. I'm not sure there is anything else in Jamaica we are particularly interested in, so we discussed just staying on the ship next time....which happens to be in January. :)

Thanks everyone. I'm still a little confused but nothing to worry about. :):p

Quick review of Hilton Rose Hall....It was nice but not necessarily something I would spend almost $100 per person on again. The beach water was very rocky and murky, so we couldn't see the rocks we were about to step on. I definitely recommend water shoes! There were also several pieces of trash in the water (plastic wrappers, etc). The lazy river and slide were fun, but we could only handle going around in small circles for a period of time. We didn't spend much time at the larger pool. It looked like your basic resort pool. The food was good. I'm not sure there is anything else in Jamaica we are particularly interested in, so we discussed just staying on the ship next time....which happens to be in January. :)

Thank you for your review. We have debated about going or not. Since we are stopping in Falmouth after two days at sea, I know we will want to get off the ship. I'm more of a pool person so I think I would be fine there. :D I was more concerned about the timing and whether it was worth it.

Exactly. Listen to the Captain and do what he says. :D

On our Freedom Cruise The ship stayed on the same time as when we left Port Canaveral (Eastern Daylight Time) until we returned. I never changed my watch. The daily Cruise Compass would have in Bold Letters everyday for the Port we were in that the time you need to be back on the ship was Ship Time!

Also the ship sponsored excursions were adhereing to ships time as well!

Archived