Breakaway electric outlet photo please

my3princes

my3princes- We sailed on the Breakaway on 10/13-10/20.

We purchased an inexpensive power strip at Target.

For some reason the pins on the power strip would not fit into either of the outlets in our stateroom.

This may have just been an issue with our stateroom ? We managed by rotating our electronic devices.

Our cell phone (android) and tablet chargers fit in the outlets no problem, it was just the power strip that would not fit.

From looking at the power strip, the one pin that is a bit wider than the other one was the problem, it just wouldn't fit in the outlet. I didn't force it, so I don't know if this was stateroom specific or just my fault for purchasing a cheap power strip.

Have a great cruise.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

We purchased an inexpensive power strip at Target. For some reason the pins on the power strip would not fit into either of the outlets in our stateroom ...

From looking at the power strip, the one pin that is a bit wider than the other one was the problem, it just wouldn't fit in the outlet. I didn't force it, so I don't know if this was stateroom specific or just my fault for purchasing a cheap power strip ...

Was in our local Target store to print some pix from the cruise & while waiting, roam the electronics & gadgets section - they have a new GE surge protector (2x 3-prong outlets plus 2x USB charging ports w. 2 amp) that you might want to consider getting. (And, if you can still within return/exchange period, send the power strip back) Less charger to bring along, just need the usb cable (i.e. camera & smartphone)

There's nothing wrong per se with the strip, the plug's blades are "polarized" as a safety feature and slightly different in size - forcing it will result in breakage, not recommended.

What we've used for the past 10 years and strongly recommend, is the Belkin surge protector & usb charger (newest one has 2 amps vs. 1 amp on ours) and it comes with equipment protection for delicate electronics. It rotate to 90, 180 and 270 degree to fit the wall outlet and without interfering with switches or another plug nearby.

The reason you had trouble getting a good fit and plugging it into the outlet is that squarish light switch on the right of the photo - as you can see from ours last used on the Gem, the Belkin was rotated vertically and it will nicely into the socket/outlet.

Bonus tips - nowadays, most OEM smartphone/camera & laptop power charger will auto-switch and run on 220-240 volts as provided on the ship, you just need an inexpensive adapter plug - see below for what it looks like. If you own a world travel hair dryer and curling iron, there's a a chance that you have one somewhere. Otherwise, some Target & Walmart stores carry them (along with Radio Shacks) ... and, at nearly all Dollar or 99 cents store. That will provide you with 2 functional outlets, not just one - regular 110V and also 220V.

Happy cruising ! :D

1206561153_SDC10354-BelkinPowerAdapter.jpg.8ce1df21dc881aa2feb1dace7574fbb6.jpg

568317302_USAtoEuro-Asia220Adapter.JPG.b0cca4295ffc0e261f51d3e229103080.JPG

Archived