Drink Prices

dabear99211

I don't want to hear anymore complaints about Carnival's drink prices, I went last night to a local Steakhouse, Churchhills in Spokane, I had a Grey Goose Martini and my friend had a Hindricks Gin Martini, the tab after I included a 15% tip was $35.00 for 2 drinks, about double of the tab on Carnival.

Steaks: All USDA Prime.

8oz Filet $38

16oz NY Strip $45

14oz Rib Eye $39

Sautéed Mushrooms $7

Salads $8 & $9

Baked Potato $7

Creamed Spinach $7

Makes the Carnival Steakhouse at $35 a wonderful deal.

It is a wonderful deal, and in the most part, it does get great reviews. IMHO, Carnival may be a budget cruise line, but their Steakhouses are better than any other alternative restaurant on the different cruise lines I've sailed on.

About the drink prices, let's be objective for a minute. I looked up Churchill's Steakhouse in Spokane and it does seem to be one of the top rated, upscale, and priciest ($$$$) establishments in town. You can't really make direct comparisons between that type of restaurant and Carnival. They are completely different products. Prices for drinks at Churchill's are most likely set high to maintain a certain clientele in while keeping a different clientele out. The same CAN'T be said about Carnival. You should compare Carnival with a more mainstream restaurant where everyone from any budget and social level is welcome.

I don't want to hear anymore complaints about Carnival's drink prices, I went last night to a local Steakhouse, Churchhills in Spokane, I had a Grey Goose Martini and my friend had a Hindricks Gin Martini, the tab after I included a 15% tip was $35.00 for 2 drinks, about double of the tab on Carnival.

8oz Filet $38

16oz NY Strip $45

14oz Rib Eye $39

Sautéed Mushrooms $7

Salads $8 & $9

Baked Potato $7

Creamed Spinach $7

Well, that's not going to happen. Here a 16 oz bud light is $2. On Carnival a 16oz bud light is $5.95.

I would suggest not reading the threads about alcohol.

The main problem I have with Carnival drinks is that they are weak! Yes, I have seen some post where some have said how strong they are and I wonder which ship they were sailing on. BTW, I am not a big drinker, I have had a 750 ml bottle last nine months.

Here is my experience on prices of drinks on the cruise ship.. it depends on where you are FROM. I was paying about 7-7.50 for jack daniels at restuarants/bars here in vt, or when I've traveled to mass or ny. So for me, prices are somewhat comparable on the cruise ships. BUT, the past couple years the prices now have dropped a bit around here depending on where you go around 6 or so. I know for some friends who live in other states, their prices are even cheaper for coctails. If you go to a resort area, oh yeah, your paying. Didn't cruise this year, it was taking the grandkids to Fla. so here we go, yep, paying more for coctails when your near the tourist areas. Just like the cruise ship, your paying more on vacations lol.

Here is my experience on prices of drinks on the cruise ship.. it depends on where you are FROM. I was paying about 7-7.50 for jack daniels at restuarants/bars here in vt, or when I've traveled to mass or ny. So for me, prices are somewhat comparable on the cruise ships. BUT, the past couple years the prices now have dropped a bit around here depending on where you go around 6 or so. I know for some friends who live in other states, their prices are even cheaper for coctails. If you go to a resort area, oh yeah, your paying. Didn't cruise this year, it was taking the grandkids to Fla. so here we go, yep, paying more for coctails when your near the tourist areas. Just like the cruise ship, your paying more on vacations lol.

I agree 100%. I live 15 minutes from major ski resort (Killington). Buy a beer in town $2.50 - $3. Buy at mountain $5 - $7. I expect to pay more when im on vacation.

I was at the Lago Mar in Fort Lauderdale last week and paid $5 for a 16oz Aluminum bottle of beer plus 18% gratuity was added on. So not much difference. On another trip to the pool bar, we paid $32 for 3 Miami Vices which also included 18% gratuity. I loved the Lago Mar and hope to go again but at least on a ship, I get food included in the price :)

The main problem I have with Carnival drinks is that they are weak! Yes, I have seen some post where some have said how strong they are and I wonder which ship they were sailing on. BTW, I am not a big drinker, I have had a 750 ml bottle last nine months.

I find them weak, too. Given the volume of liquor Carnival buys, and the low cost of their labor, they make a killing on booze. Of course, once you factor in the low cost of staterooms, it is still a great value for passengers. And they do have the Cheers option.

There will always be cheapskates who smuggle.

I think in general, the beer prices are high but liquor is reasonable. $5-6 for a domestic beer is pretty absurd, but $10 for a Grey Goose martini is fair. Wine prices are also roughly in line with what I would pay at home, and Indianapolis isn't very tourist-y. I'm guessing the majority of Carnival drinkers are big beer fans...

It makes sense that the beer selections are a bit higher. Liquor almost always has a better profit margin, so they naturally try to steer you to liquor drinks. I can also imagine that beer takes up a higher amount of storage space, which is at a premium, so that cost gets added to the price.

I totally agree with this--especially the frozen type drinks are so weak.

Few are completely ignorant of the liquor prices when the board. But they have to find something to complain about so it's drink prices and food.

Food is subjective and I have yet to find a ship that didn't have something good. I wasn't impressed with Carnival's fried chicken but adored their potato salad. Each to his own.

Most cruisers are looking for a resort atmosphere and resorts charge higher prices for liquor than your local working man's bar.

IMO "if you can't afford the booze, don't cruise"

I've grown very fond of drinks at Alchemy on ships where they have one. Great drinks and for the level of effort that goes into each one a steal in my book! Makes it very hard to drink the other drinks made from a cheaper mix.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Cosmos I had on the Freedom were, hands down, the strongest martinis I have ever had!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

8oz Filet $38

16oz NY Strip $45

14oz Rib Eye $39

Sautéed Mushrooms $7

Salads $8 & $9

Baked Potato $7

Creamed Spinach $7

I agree with the drink prices!! I was in Las Vegas, and for 1 beer it was $8.25 then I tipped $1.50 :eek:...FOR A BEER..Miller lite in a freaking bottle!!!

It makes sense that the beer selections are a bit higher. Liquor almost always has a better profit margin, so they naturally try to steer you to liquor drinks. I can also imagine that beer takes up a higher amount of storage space, which is at a premium, so that cost gets added to the price.

I'd never considered that factor, but that's an excellent point.

Wrt weak vs strong drinks, it totally depends on what you order. A banana daiquiri and an appletini are not and should not be the same strength, even if they cost the same. :) I definitely never had a problem with weak drinks on the Paradise. The martinis I had (appletini and blackberry bramble - my new favorite) kicked me right in the butt, and I am by no means an amateur drinker...

While I agree that around here at the local bars, you can get a drink/beer cheaper, if you go to a restaurant and order a drink, the prices are comparable to what I have seen on Carnival. Maybe a buck higher...

Really? First CCL trip coming up, been on Royal Caribbean a few and strength never a problem there:)

Archived