Interesting Article on Mega Ships

CathyCruises

"Those bigger lifeboats have only enough room for passengers. To evacuate the more than 2,300 crew members, the ships are equipped with inflatable rafts that would have to be entered through 59-foot evacuation chutes."

Remind me to never get a job on Allure/Oasis of the Seas.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/too-big-sail-cruise-ships-face-scrutiny-8C11479906

Doesn't really apply to X, but the points are worth pondering

I say keep the government from over-regulating the cruise industry. I feel safe on the cruises that we have done.

I remember talkling to a Celebrity crew menber at one of our cocktail parties and he was telling us that some cruise lines like Celebrity have multiple backup systems for power, water, etc. While, others have a reputation for not so many, like Costa.

"Those bigger lifeboats have only enough room for passengers. To evacuate the more than 2,300 crew members, the ships are equipped with inflatable rafts that would have to be entered through 59-foot evacuation chutes."

Remind me to never get a job on Allure/Oasis of the Seas.

Here is a poor quality photo of one of those evacuation chutes, and a link to a video demonstrating how they are deployed.

Noname.jpg

Trying to insinuate that size of the ship had anything to do with the Costa Concordia accident is ridiculous. That accident occured because the Captain failed miserably in his responsibilities to lead the crew and be accountable.
I don't believe that was the inference they expected you to draw. I believe they were saying that, due to the late "abandon ship" order and the listing which potentially put 1/2 of the lifeboats out of commission, the loss of life would probably be greater if the ship had been one of the mega-ships.

There may be more truth to the story than many want to believe or accept. Strange to attack the story when you put the welfare of yourselves and your loved ones in the hands of your cruise line. Better to be more circumspect than denier. Throughout history in many industries the regulations that should've been in place are often only enacted after a tragedy. Just want to keep some perspective in looking at stories that deserve our attention.

There may be more truth to the story than many want to believe or accept. Strange to attack the story when you put the welfare of yourselves and your loved ones in the hands of your cruise line. Better to be more circumspect than denier. Throughout history in many industries the regulations that should've been in place are often only enacted after a tragedy. Just want to keep some perspective in looking at stories that deserve our attention.

My attitude is more about the article and how it's about the mega ships, mentions the large ships, but then talk about the older smaller ships. The newer ships have many more safety features than the older ships to prevent those kinds of tragedies from happening. Many of the things addressed in the article have been addressed by the industry years ago.

If they had wanted to do a balanced story wouldn't have been nice if they looked into the changes in the industry and ships as to how they have improved and continue to do so.

Will this writer next to an article on how dangerous cars are then talk about older model cars or cars of a different class?

They talk about the mega ships 225,000 gt but their examples are ships 74-113,000gt. The Grandeur being 17 years old and the oldest tech and safety features and yet no one was hurt.

More tragedy came out of a passenger throwing a cigarette overboard on the Star Princess than those 3 ships mentioned in the article. That was a careless passenger.

No one likes bad things to happen. No one wants to see theirs or someone else's vacation ruined. Accidents happened and the lines have been very good over the years preventing them and responding to them.

It's good to be aware, but it's also good to take it with a grain of salt.

Archived