Booking a group with MSC? Something you should know

mheinrich

I'm booked with a fairly large group sailing next month. Because of the size of the group, we have drink packages that are exclusive to our group. It was announced months ago what the packages were, the package numbers and the cost. We were able to book them the day they were announced.

Now since the cruise was MONTHS away, I made the decision to not give MSC my money at that time. It's kinda like making final payment before final payment is due right? So this week (4 weeks prior to sailing), I send my request in for the packages only to get a call back from an MSC customer service rep. I won't go into all the details, but the final outcome is this....

Even though it's in our contract to offer a drink packages, MSC has made the decision to no longer offer it! But wait, it gets worse. If you gave them your money early, you would still get the package! So it's not like they're not offering it at all on the ship, they just made the decision to not offer it to "any longer."

I still can't fathom how ANY company can contract with someone and then renig on the terms! But I will tell you this, you can bet I will never book into any group on THAT line again!!

I'm booked with a fairly large group sailing next month. Because of the size of the group, we have drink packages that are exclusive to our group. It was announced months ago what the packages were, the package numbers and the cost. We were able to book them the day they were announced.

Now since the cruise was MONTHS away, I made the decision to not give MSC my money at that time. It's kinda like making final payment before final payment is due right? So this week (4 weeks prior to sailing), I send my request in for the packages only to get a call back from an MSC customer service rep. I won't go into all the details, but the final outcome is this....

Even though it's in our contract to offer a drink packages, MSC has made the decision to no longer offer it! But wait, it gets worse. If you gave them your money early, you would still get the package! So it's not like they're not offering it at all on the ship, they just made the decision to not offer it to "any longer."

I still can't fathom how ANY company can contract with someone and then renig on the terms! But I will tell you this, you can bet I will never book into any group on THAT line again!!

We apologize for any trouble due to the change in beverage packages. MSC Cruises prides itself in customer service and we would like to resolve any concern raised in your comments above. Please contact our Customer Service department at customer-srvc@msccruisesusa.com with detailed information and they will be happy to assist in resolving your inquiry.

Regards,

Seems like if you like the over all terms of a package you got that you're kind of proud to have ...

... you would want to lock it down with some money, instead of let it hang out there for something to happen to it.

Everyone knows a cruise company can make changes any time they wish. If you don't want it changed, buy it while it's the way ya like it!

Now there is a GOOD reason not to pay money, yet. And that's because you haven't found a trip insurance package you like. Because as soon as you put down a deposit, for most insurance companies, the clock begins to tick. And 30 days after your first payment you no longer have "pre existing conditions" waiver.

But because it's "months away"? That's just silly, if there's something special you lasso'd and don't want to lose. Just silly.

And then come on here and complain about it like it's something someone else did to you.

ugh.

A classic English law "offer and acceptance" analysis...I am not a legal expert, but I suspect there is no act of acceptance by the OP before the offer was withdrawn.

In the words of a very wise man I know:

"You snooze. You LOSE!!!!!"

Did anyone actually see the GROUP CONTRACT part of the post?

A group was booked. A contract was drawn up. In that contract, there was a beverage plan offered specifically to this group members only. The contract reads you have until 7 days prior to sailing to book this package.

Now I may not be a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure changing the "7 days prior" to "4 weeks prior" mid way through the contact life is not normal.

Yes, I ACCEPTED the terms of the contract. Not MY contract, MSC's contract.

Nice to see all of you are fine with contracts just being change. By all means then, MSC is your perfect cruise line.

Nice to see all of you are fine with contracts just being change. By all means then, MSC is your perfect cruise line.

You did pay for the drinks package, so you didn't have a contract.

You yourself stated if the package had been purchased it was being honoured.

You annoyed about a change to the OFFERED PACKAGE and I get that.

As said above you snooze, you loose.

And yes, I do sail with MSC, and I pre-order the drinks package.

what is worse is when MSC tell you that a given package is not available on a given cruise, people then book the more expensive one because they are told only that is available for their cruise!

Then with 4 weeks to go pre cruise MSC make the lesser value package that they told people was not bookable available.

Is it any wonder that people get annoyed with them.

Did anyone actually see the GROUP CONTRACT part of the post?

A group was booked. A contract was drawn up. In that contract, there was a beverage plan offered specifically to this group members only. The contract reads you have until 7 days prior to sailing to book this package.

Now I may not be a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure changing the "7 days prior" to "4 weeks prior" mid way through the contact life is not normal.

Yes, I ACCEPTED the terms of the contract. Not MY contract, MSC's contract.

Plan offered but for extra pay,not include in your contract. you did not pay for it ,what's your problem? :rolleyes:

How its worse if you get what you paid for??? They offer shore excursions too but I missed one and its sold out ,my fault not MSC :rolleyes:

Not OFFERED, contracted to deliver! Is this really that hard of a concept??

Have any of you ever booked into a group???? This is NOT general reservations. This is NOT what's being listed on their website. This is something that was contracted within the group negotiations. The contract was specifically for this sailing, on this ship, with this specific group.

This is what MSC will offer your group. Not, this is what MSC will offer your group, until we decide to change our minds.

All I can say is WOW.

Have any of you ever booked into a group???? This is NOT general reservations. This is NOT what's being listed on their website. This is something that was contracted within the group negotiations. The contract was specifically for this sailing, on this ship, with this specific group.

This is what MSC will offer your group. Not, this is what MSC will offer your group, until we decide to change our minds.

All I can say is WOW.

I feel your pain, but in any business transaction until money changes hands, the deal ain't done.

MSC USA customer relations reached out to you. By all means, contact them and give them a chance to work things out. And, please let us know the outcome.

I'm sorry. Maybe I should clarify how groups work. Once you contract with your group coordinator, you have x number of days to deposit. You have to deposit a certain amount for each cabin you're holding. With a very specific payment plan put in place.

Four weeks prior to sailing, every single person who is booked is paid in full. Any cabins not named have already been released into inventory.

So YES, money most definitely did change hands.

Well past the cancellation date, the terms of the contact were changed.

I'm sorry. Maybe I should clarify how groups work. Once you contract with your group coordinator, you have x number of days to deposit. You have to deposit a certain amount for each cabin you're holding. With a very specific payment plan put in place.

Four weeks prior to sailing, every single person who is booked is paid in full. Any cabins not named have already been released into inventory.

So YES, money most definitely did change hands.

Well past the cancellation date, the terms of the contact were changed.

But you did not book the beverages package. The price changed while you thought about it.

Happens. To all of us.

Get over it.

Let me try to explain this in more simple terms.

Your parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary. You call MSC to book a family group cruise. You go back and forth on what you want for your private family group. You decide together that you will have a private venue on the ship with drinks and meals at the cost of $20 per person.

You sign the contract and put down the deposit. 60 days prior to travel, you pay the final payment.

According to the contract, you have until 7 days prior to sailing to pay the private function bill. (the terms agreed upon by both you and MSC).

4 weeks prior to the sailing, you get a call from MSC. They say, yeah, sorry, we've thought about this and we're no longer going to offer you that private party at $20 per person.

You can't cancel because you're under full penalty. If you still want that party, it's now going to cost you $40 per person and we won't be offering food at your party anymore either.

This seriously is something everyone on here would be OK with?????

Your parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary. You call MSC to book a family group cruise. You go back and forth on what you want for your private family group. You decide together that you will have a private venue on the ship with drinks and meals at the cost of $20 per person.

You sign the contract and put down the deposit. 60 days prior to travel, you pay the final payment.

According to the contract, you have until 7 days prior to sailing to pay the private function bill. (the terms agreed upon by both you and MSC).

4 weeks prior to the sailing, you get a call from MSC. They say, yeah, sorry, we've thought about this and we're no longer going to offer you that private party at $20 per person.

You can't cancel because you're under full penalty. If you still want that party, it's now going to cost you $40 per person and we won't be offering food at your party anymore either.

That isn't what you said in the original post!

No, I would not be OK with this.

MSC rep reached out to you in this post though. Did you contact them as you were asked to do?????

Rep reached out to me once and my problem got fixed. Voila! Still a fan of MSC.;)

All I can say is WOW.

Care to extract the terms?

I can understand your annoyance, and indeed there were stories that cruiselines sometimes honour something offered in error or expired just to please the passengers.

But from my experiences, there are always catches in contracts drawn up from cruiselines, usually hidden somewhere. And it's a legal mess to try to beat them at their game.

That's why I personally see the Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights movement as something in the right direction.

Oouch, this hurts. It's not right to change the cost of private function in such manner, esp. the private function is the key to your group cruise.

Had you brought this up earlier, at least I would side with your plight. MSC might have their side of story to tell, but they now have a group of unhappy cruisers on hand.

No ,we going to cry all night long and jump over board just to make MSC suffer. Seriously lady ,get over it ,it’s just a vacation . Is it good they cancelled your event ? no ,it’s not but it’s not something that I would really care .Life is too short to worry about extra $20.

This is not the same type of situation you explained in your original post. There is nothing in the contract you signed about drink packages, the availability nor the price of those packages.

Archived