Live from the Quest

tgg

My husband and I will be flying from Sarasota to Philadelphia and on to Rome on Friday. We'll spend one night in Civitavecchia (and have dinner there with two couples we've met on our roll call) and board the Quest on Saturday November 2, 2013.

This is the 11 night "Vatican to the Alcazar Voyage". After we sail from Civitavecchia we'll be in Sorrento overnight, Trapani (Sicily), Barcelona (overnight), Valencia, Gibraltar, and Seville (overnight).

This is our 13th Azamara cruise; our first was in March 2008. Although you might assume I'm an Azamara "cheerleader" you would be wrong. I've been persistent (relentless?) in pointing out things that I think need to be changed (or changed back:)). But just the fact that this is our 13th Azamara cruise should indicate that there is much that we love.

I'm looking forward to meeting the new master of the Quest, Captain José Vilarinho.

I won't be able to comment on ship's excursions because we generally book private tours or wander on our own.

So if you have any questions (burning or otherwise) please post them and I'll try to answer.

Toni

Hi Toni,

We left the Quest on Oct 16. We aren't cheerleaders either but love the on board experience but also try to point out areas where they can improve further.

You have a lovely itinerary. If you plan on going out in the evening while you are in Barcelona, I can recommend a super paella restaurant.

Have a wonderful cruise. Please tell us your thoughts about the new Captain. It is difficult to imagine he could be better than the wonderful Captain Carl.

My husband and I will be flying from Sarasota to Philadelphia and on to Rome on Friday. We'll spend one night in Civitavecchia (and have dinner there with two couples we've met on our roll call) and board the Quest on Saturday November 2, 2013.

This is the 11 night "Vatican to the Alcazar Voyage". After we sail from Civitavecchia we'll be in Sorrento overnight, Trapani (Sicily), Barcelona (overnight), Valencia, Gibraltar, and Seville (overnight).

This is our 13th Azamara cruise; our first was in March 2008. Although you might assume I'm an Azamara "cheerleader" you would be wrong. I've been persistent (relentless?) in pointing out things that I think need to be changed (or changed back:)). But just the fact that this is our 13th Azamara cruise should indicate that there is much that we love.

I'm looking forward to meeting the new master of the Quest, Captain José Vilarinho.

I won't be able to comment on ship's excursions because we generally book private tours or wander on our own.

So if you have any questions (burning or otherwise) please post them and I'll try to answer.

Toni

Hi Toni ... can you tell me what hotel you have chosen to stay at for 1 night pre-cruise ?? I am also planning on staying in Civ. prior to our departure in May.

thanks

Eileen

Bags are packed, credit card companies have been notified that we're going to be outside the US, newpaper and mail being held. I've arranged a shared van transfer from FCO to Civitavecchia. We arrive at FCO before 8:00am so there may be nobody to share the van with. The temperatures in Italy and Spain are going to be higher than I had originally thought they might be this time of year (70) so I've packed some lighter daytime clothes.

Ready to leave early tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to being back on the Quest.

the Quest for the spring '14 T/A...would be interested to hear how she is "looking"! Since her sister ship has been in dry dock and she will not have been by the time of our sailing. Thanks ...and have a great time!!! LuAnn

the Quest for the spring '14 T/A...would be interested to hear how she is "looking"! Since her sister ship has been in dry dock and she will not have been by the time of our sailing. Thanks ...and have a great time!!! LuAnn

Quest drydocked November 2012, two months before Journey.

I am eager to hear all about your experiences on the Quest. We will be sailing on the Quest November 13 for the TA back into Miami from Seville.

I am looking forward to meeting some. Wonderful Cruise Critic members who have been active on our board and will be sailing with you.

Bon Voyage,

Marion

I am eager to hear all about your experiences on the Quest. We will be sailing on the Quest November 13 for the TA back into Miami from Seville.

I am looking forward to meeting some. Wonderful Cruise Critic members who have been active on our board and will be sailing with you.

Bon Voyage,

Marion

Small world. Both my kids graduated from Williamsville East and we still spend summers within walking distance of that school.

Our children went to Williamsville East. A couple we will meet for the first time ( from the boards) on this cruise moved from Williamsville to Colorado and she taught in Williamsville School District - yes, the world is extremely small.

Marion

I'm happily onboard the Quest, which looks to be in great shape. Embarcation was effortless and swift. We started boarding at 11:45 and I was eating a delicious lunch shortly thereafter.

For those who were curious, Captain Carl Smith is still the master of the vessel. Captain Jose will be onboard later in the cruise and there will be a short overlap. Captain Carl's wife and three adorable kids are here with him. I've seen only one other child among the passengers.

The big new last night was that the weather report for Sorrento was unfavorable and that we would be going to Castelldelmare di Stabia, a short distance. The ship has called here only once. All tours will be run from here. The weather right now (9:00am) doesn't look threatening but you never know. Most passengers are seasoned cruisers and understand the change in ports.

We had dinner in Aqualina last night, which did not have many diners. The osso buco and the Chilean seabass were both delicious. Service was flawless.

There are 120 back-to-back passengers from the last cruise. And there seem to be a large number of people planning to stay on for the TA.

Edited by tgg

Hi TGG: Thank you for your live reports from the Quest as we too will be on board in early December. We enjoy reading your comments and hope you find time to continue sending us posts particularly when Capt. Jose joins the ship as he will be our Master.

How could I have forgotten to mention last night's entertainer? When a classically trained voice is combined with great stage presence, you have a delightfully winning combination. Jamila (just one name) is a very talented woman who can sing anything - Motown, Les Miz, Porgy & Bess, and more. She did one of the better shows we've seen on this ship.

So we arrived in Castellammare di Stabio (which I've finally learned to spell) this morning to somewhat overcast skies. The temperature was in the low 70's. (I've been surprised at the warm weather in November.) We'd planned to take the train to Naples because we'd been to Amalfi and Sorrento on previous cruises. But the threatening skies changed things. We grabbed an umbrella and wandered around the town. The rain came very briefly. We heard the bells from the cathedral and decided to see what a Sunday mass is like in Italy. (We're neither Catholic or particularly religious.) We arrived at the church to see a local band outside. Hmmm, interesting we thought. After the hourlong mass which included some wonderful singing, everyone left the church and the band started playing. It became a parade to the WW I memorial in the center of town. Remembrance Day! Several of the marchers were WW II veterans. Two wreaths were laid at the memorial in a

somber service. Very moving.

After lunch on the ship, we took the Azamara shuttle bus (half hour ride) to Sorrento. The views alone along the Bay of Naples were worth the trip. Similar to the Amalfi drive. We spent an hour wandering around an area we know pretty well and then came back to the ship.

Captain Carl has everyone in the palm of his hand after last nights introduction of this staff and then a description of the rest of the cruise. His gentle humor is winning.

Oh, before I forget. We had the duvets on our bed changed to regular blankets. Although we had the temperature at 67 degrees, we were just too warm.

I'm happily onboard the Quest, which looks to be in great shape. Embarcation was effortless and swift. We started boarding at 11:45 and I was eating a delicious lunch shortly thereafter.

For those who were curious, Captain Carl Smith is still the master of the vessel. Captain Jose will be onboard later in the cruise and there will be a short overlap. Captain Carl's wife and three adorable kids are here with him. I've seen only one other child among the passengers.

The big new last night was that the weather report for Sorrento was unfavorable and that we would be going to Castelldelmare di Stabia, a short distance. The ship has called here only once. All tours will be run from here. The weather right now (9:00am) doesn't look threatening but you never know. Most passengers are seasoned cruisers and understand the change in ports.

We had dinner in Aqualina last night, which did not have many diners. The osso buco and the Chilean seabass were both delicious. Service was flawless.

There are 120 back-to-back passengers from the last cruise. And there seem to be a large number of people planning to stay on for the TA.

how long Capt. Jose will be on the Quest and will Capt. Smith be back after that? We are on the T/A in spring '14...which leaves in late March. Thanks! LuAnn

Keep posting!

I'm sorry that I will not be on the Journey in March - your postings have always been helpful and to the point.

Hope to meet you one of these days on some cruise. But keep posting - I have fond memories of the Quest!

The second day in Castellalmare began with an easy 20 minute walk to the train station to catch the train to Naples. The train went through an area covered with morning glories and lantana. Beautiful. Graffiti was everywhere; buildings, rail cars, anything that could take paint. Not so beautiful.

From this train we switched to the local train to take us to the museum. Everything we had heard about the Archaelogical Museum of Naples was right; definitive collection of statuary and mosaics. The building itself is interesting, with a very grand grand staircase. If you're interested in artifacts from Vesuvius and Pompeii, you would love this. Even if you're not, you might be amazed at the work that was done with limited tools so long ago.

The ride back to the ship was exciting, with people packed in like sardines. It reminded me of the New York City subway at rush hour. Managed to get a seat after about 5 stops.

Dinner in Aqualina was fine. But a girl raised on fresh Maine lobster should know better than to order lobster on a ship in Europe. Service was flawless as always.

We'll be in Trapani tomorrow and I've arrange a van for 4 couples to take us to Erice. All four couples are from the roll call. They seem like a great group. We're going to wander on our own when we get there. The cost is 25 euros per couple, which I thought was reasonable.

The ship has had one show every night, but has switched to two; one at 8:15 and the other at 9:45. Should be interesting to see how that works out.

ONE BIG GRIPE. The hairdryers have been replaced with a model that does not stay on when you press the "on" button. You have to hold the button down at all times to keep the things working. I assumed it was broken. My thumb turned purple and ached from trying. (I am neither aged nor imfirmed) The butler said that it was just a new model. When I asked if I was the first person to complain, he said "far from it." THIS SHOULD BE FIXED.

I can't deal with this either. And my own travel hairdryer, made for European voltages, is really feeble on board all the ships we have been on. This promises to be a disaster for me, or rather for my hair, on our upcoming cruise on the Quest! Can't anything be done?