Transportation La Paz and Loreto

jamesnnb

Now that the Sapphire Princess is sailing from LA to La Paz and Loreto is there anyone that has been on the Grand to La Paz & Loreto that can tell us what transportation is available from the port(s) to the city. We know there must be Taxi Cabs, but does the City offer a bus or shuttle to bring you from the port(s) to the City? And, how far is it from the cruise terminal in La Paz to the town and from Loreto to the town?

About two years ago we stopped in La Paz. They had free shuttles to take you to town or to the beach. Town was about a 15 minute ride to their bus terminal. Not a whole lot going on in La Paz. They have a malecon but nothing really on it. We enjoyed the morning walking down the beach then headed back. When we got to the port they had a flea market set up where we found a great taco stand right next to a two dollar beer stand.

La Paz is not a tourist destination, cruise ships are far and few between. Our shuttle "guide" said La Paz has the largest US population outside of the US - lot of retirees. We never saw them, but did see a lot of real estate offices. Go to google maps and use the street view. You can "drive" around town and see what it's like.

If I were going back and no ship excursions looked good, I'd take the bus to the beach. If that was a bust I'd go back to the port and take the next bus to town. At least see some beautiful desert. Busses run about every 10 minutes and they are (were) free.

If you golf you might look into that. We passed thru a beautiful desert course and literally saw one guy guy playing.

You will tender in Loreto. The tenderdock is walking distance from the ""centre"" of this small city.

Edited by Ine

Princess offered a free shuttle into La Paz, it was about a 20+ minute ride. We were there on a Sunday morning and there was very little open at that time. About the only thing open were barber shops, there was at least one per block. One street I went down actually had three different barber shops all next to each other. lol

In Loreto it was about a 10 minute walk from the pier to the main downtown street. There were some small shops and restaurants along that but not much else. It is a sleeply little town but nice to wander around for a bit.

Loretto and La Paz are both more like typical small Mexican towns. So no jewely shops, high end products etc are available. La Paz the larger of the two has many small shops, a lot of restaurants, bars etc. It has a long beach with the main street next to the beach. In a way it reminded me of Cozumel before the cruise ships changed it for the worse. I have had some excellent food in La Paz.

• 1 month later...