Disney Cruise Line Adds Lifeguards

LauraS

I'm sorry that you had to go through the no hands, no help situation MizDaisy. Thats just what we were told to do.

ex techie

Just a quick note, because I also think the subject has gone way off track....

I'm not complaining at all about what they did (or didn't do) right after my accident. Of course, I was lucky that an RN friend was with me when it happened, and I was also traveling with a Nurse Practioner and an ER doctor. :D It's always good to travel with your own medical team!:D

Crew members just had me sit and wait for the nurse to arrive....and like I said, not complaining about that, I was just stating what happened. But I was very obviously still breathing, and wasn't bleeding.....although I COULD have had a head injury, I suppose.....maybe that's what's wrong with me now.:p:p

I would think international law would apply.

However any law suit would have to filled against the cruise line in the country from which they operate from. For DCL that would be Britain where the parent company is based.

ex techie

What international law?

In that the ships are Bahamian, any good samaritan laws would have to be Bahamian.

What international law?

In that the ships are Bahamian, any good samaritan laws would have to be Bahamian.

The IMO law? http://www.imli.org/

I know not of what it contain's, but as all ships have to adhere to it, I guess that it is the prevailing law over the ships country of registry?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I doubt it. To add people to the crew, others have to be removed.

In addition, rates are more of a function of demand than costs for this company.

I think that depends. DCL has the lifeguard positions listed as part of entertainment staff, which traditionally are some of the highest paid non-officer staff on board. They seem to be targeting US citizens for these positions, which also says something about the pay scale. If they are cutting back on dishwashers or laundry workers, it's definitely going to cost more. It might only translate into a few cents per day per passenger, but it will quite possibly be a higher cost.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We just got off the Dream on Sunday. We spent a few hours by the pool on Saturday morning and noticed that one of the lifeguards was mopping the deck about an hour after he was relieved from his shift. (In a different uniform obviously...)

Edited by rktilleryj

they are trained and certified. Ellis & Associates is the training and certifying body for all of the US based Disney Parks. And having a roommate that trains for Ellis, he confirmed they train/certify for DCL as well.

All Rec Staff (Recreational Staff) part of the Ent's team have always been certified LG's as they sometimes swing from the ship to CC.

Are ALL the LG's now working as LG's trained and certified?

It sounds like some of the Flex Crew are doing the job as well as mentioned by rktilleryj?

Also have the signs been changed or are they still the same?

ex techie

DSCF0092.jpg

We just got off the Dream on Sunday. We spent a few hours by the pool on Saturday morning and noticed that one of the lifeguards was mopping the deck about an hour after he was relieved from his shift. (In a different uniform obviously...)

I don't know for sure if the lifeguards are red cross certified, but cleaning during off duty does not mean they are not. I have two daughters, one is a Disney CM and other works as a lifeguard for Sesame Place in PA (not sure if I am allowed to say that). Anyway when she and other lifeguards are off duty it is common that they have to perform other duties. Even cleaning the bathroom when they are short handed and they are all red cross certified.:)

Edited by Irene7

I just asked him and yes, Ellis & Associates train/certify all LG's on the ship regardless of where they are stationed. If they are wearing the LG costume, the are certified by Ellis. He also said they do random on-board readiness inspections on the ship...during non-peak hours they'll randomly take the crew out to the pool and run drills which guests can watch (if/when they happen and the guest is awake) and see lifesaving training in action on the ship.

As far as the signage goes, when I was on the Magic this past week, Quiet Cove had the No Lifeguard on Duty signage. The other pools had signage indicating Lifeguards weren't on duty during non-operating hours. And they covered the pools nightly when the pools closed.

All Rec Staff (Recreational Staff) part of the Ent's team have always been certified LG's as they sometimes swing from the ship to CC.

Are ALL the LG's now working as LG's trained and certified?

It sounds like some of the Flex Crew are doing the job as well as mentioned by rktilleryj?

Also have the signs been changed or are they still the same?

ex techie

DSCF0092.jpg

Edited by telynch25

I just asked him and yes, Ellis & Associates train/certify all LG's on the ship regardless of where they are stationed. If they are wearing the LG costume, the are certified by Ellis.

Great to hear!

And this job position backs it up!

http://careers.disneyparks.jobs/shipboard/shipboard/disney-cruise-line/jobid4048610-lifeguard-jobs

Responsibilities

Assist with monitoring and operating all water-based recreation spaces, including opening and closing, monitoring safety and volume of the Donald’s/Goofy’s pool, AquaDunk/AquaDuck waterslide, Twist n Spout/Mickey’s slide and pools, Nephew’s/Nemo’s Reef, AquaLab and general activity around pool areas

Be fully qualified as a licensed lifeguard; participate in regular trainings, including but not limited to, in-service training, re-certification, Castaway Cay training, etc.

AND:

Additional Information

This is a SHIPBOARD role.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
to add

He pointed me to a similar posting. Was just about to post the same. It's also listed as requirements in the Job Posting system.

It's great to hear that there is now a secondary level of protection in place!

Secondary as there is no excuse for parents to relieve themselves of responsibility of watching their children.

One thing missing from the posting is a REQUIREMENT to be thick skinned when little Johnny or someones "princess" is denied going into the pool because it is too crowed and would be dangerous.

It will take an especially thick skinned CM to take that barrage of verbal and probably physical abuse "because we paid X amount to be on this cruise...." :eek: :(

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Thank goodness someone mentioned disney guards and ellis and associate trained.

Red cross is a good certification but ellis is considered a higher and more professional level of training in the lifeguard biz. Also tends to be the more extensive training.

I have had both training as a local beach guard years ago with red cross and with disney as an ellis guard. Ellis is better in my opinion. I learned ellis after my coast guard service which included my being a rescue swimmer, so I have some experience in water rescue.

Kudos to disney for adding lifeguards.

Also at WDW the lifeguards can tell little johhny and the little princess NO within the scope of their job. And management tends to have your back provided you do it with a disney smile. One of the few CM's that can say no.

Let me clarify I am not knocking red cross training or certification but felt my ellis training was the better of the two when I took them. Red cross training I am sure has changed and is different than the good old days.

But a lifeguard who is not certified is not a lifeguard. They are a pool attendant.

Again kudos to disney.

Thank goodness someone mentioned disney guards and ellis and associate trained.

Red cross is a good certification but ellis is considered a higher and more professional level of training in the lifeguard biz. Also tends to be the more extensive training.

I have had both training as a local beach guard years ago with red cross and with disney as an ellis guard. Ellis is better in my opinion. I learned ellis after my coast guard service which included my being a rescue swimmer, so I have some experience in water rescue.

Kudos to disney for adding lifeguards.

Also at WDW the lifeguards can tell little johhny and the little princess NO within the scope of their job. And management tends to have your back provided you do it with a disney smile. One of the few CM's that can say no.

Ok, I'm getting confused. Telynch25 said that the lifeguards on the ships are also Ellis trained and you are saying red cross (which is no chopped liver) only and that only the parks are Ellis trained. Which is it?

Ok, I'm getting confused. Telynch25 said that the lifeguards on the ships are also Ellis trained and you are saying red cross (which is no chopped liver) only and that only the parks are Ellis trained. Which is it?

:confused: No I never said Red Cross? Disney Parks lifeguards are Ellis trained, it stands to reason that they would also be so trained on the cruiseline. No confusion intended.

I was a Disney Ellis trained Lifeguard and Lake Patrol at WDW. At one point they asked me if I wanted to go and guard at Castaway Key for a temporary period, being a "older" family man I declined.

:confused: No I never said Red Cross? Disney Parks lifeguards are Ellis trained, it stands to reason that they would also be so trained on the cruiseline. No confusion intended.

I was a Disney Ellis trained Lifeguard and Lake Patrol at WDW. At one point they asked me if I wanted to go and guard at Castaway Key for a temporary period, being a "older" family man I declined.

Sorry for the misunderstand. I am so thrilled that Disney is doing it right and hope the other cruise lines, especially ones that also cater to families follow.

The last time I was at Castaway Cay, I was watching the lifeguards and I remember being impressed by their focus on their jobs. They were no nonsense lifeguards that easily told children as well as adults NO. I never saw them chatting with passengers or even taking their eyes off the swimmers.

Not sure if you can answer this, but the lifeguards that are stationed on the towers in the water - are they also watching for sharks or are they there just for the snorkelers? Just curious.

Yes open water lifeguards do scan the water for any potential dangers including sea animals, however spotting a shark is a hit and miss proposition. Usually you see shadows and those can be anything.

Helicopters spot sharks better and tall shark watching towers do better than standard life guard stands.

And of course the sun can wreak havoc on visibility even with sunglasses.

But disney guards do their best.

I just renewed my Red Cross CPR and will be recertifying in American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support on Monday. My CPR renewal included adult, child, and infant CPR and AED use, and the Heimlich maneuver. I believe the AHA CPR course covers the same things.

There is also a growing movement out there called CCR, or compression-only CPR. The hope is that more laypeople will be willing to do this, because they don't have to worry about doing mouth-to-mouth.

It is to be used only on adults (or adult-sized people, so people over about 15 or so) whose collapse is witnessed. The theory is that such people have fully-oxygenated blood when they collapse, so doing chest compressions on them will circulate that blood, and the compressions also compress the lungs, allowing air movement in and out.

CCR is NOT to be used on children. The most common cause of cardiac arrest in children is respiratory arrest, and such children do NOT have much oxygen in their bloodstreams. So they need rescue breaths.

Anyway...I'll reiterate my plea for people to take a CPR class. You can do it and you might save a life!

• 2 weeks later...

As always, I am in awe of how customer centric Disney is however, in this case,it is just in response to the poor angels that were left unattended by their parents in the children's pool.

It is not Disney's responsibility to be the parent.

I wish they didn't cave in this quickly. This will increase their overhead which will in turn, increase our cruise fare.

My kids are adults but we have been taking them on cruises since they were 9 months old. I never needed a lifeguard on the cruise.