Refund When Prices Drop

nadalina

Does anyone have experience with this subject with NCL, Carnival, Princess, RCCL or Celebrity? I was booked on an upcoming cruise in a balcony cabin and on Monday of this week I decided to check it out again to see if the ship was full. Much to my surprise, the prices had dropped considerably, and the mini-suites were selling for $150 less per person than we had paid for the balcony cabin. I called the broker and she called NCL to see what could be done. I told her that I would be happy with an upgrade to the mini-suite and an onboard credit for the $300 instead of a refund. NCL agreed to upgrade us to the mini-suite but refused to refund or credit us for the $300 difference in price. If it was only $20-30, it would not be a big deal, but $300 is a big deal to me. I have cruised many times and I am a Silver cruiser with NCL, but this is the first time something like this has happened to me, so I would appreciate any experience or comments you might have.

Many thanks,

Peggy

How soon is your cruise? If you are past final payment, you got a good deal just by getting the upgrade to the mini-suite. According to the contract you agreed to, NCL owes you nothing if the price drops after final payment date.

;)

^^This~perfectly stated.

I know with Carnival, it would be the same unless you booked Early Saver, which gives you price reductions up until 2 days before the cruise~

How soon is your cruise? If you are past final payment, you got a good deal just by getting the upgrade to the mini-suite. According to the contract you agreed to, NCL owes you nothing if the price drops after final payment date.

;)

Exactly correct and the OP must be past final or there would be nothing to refund.

I just recently posted this same ?. What I was told is that you don't get the difference of $300 unless it was prior to your final payment. My price went down substantially but was also offered the mini suite. My NCL rep said he would give me 25% of the difference as an OBC but he thought the mini suite would be a better choice. I think I'll take the 25%, which comes to about $100 OBC. The mini suite doesn't seem that appealing to me over my large balcony room already.

I was offered the same -- upgrade or 25% OBC. We upgraded.

Then prices came down again. We currently have two connecting balconies, and the price of the balcony came down by $200/person. We're hoping to upgrade to a balcony that connects to a minisuite, and I'm waiting to hear back from our PCC as to whether we can apply the savings from one cabin to the other. My guess is that we can't, but it will be really good if we can...

I can say that on past sailings, the price has gone up so then it would be fair for ncl to ask you to pay more after the lock date since prices are higher? That's the up and down side of booking early. I think it's great that they are offering an upgrade or obc, neither of which they have to do.

My TA told me that when she contacted NCL about a price drop past final payment, she was told NCL's policy is no OBC of any amount if there is an upgrade available. Obviously prior posts prove otherwise!

Our 'upgrade' offer was from a Deck 8 Obstructed Oceanview to a Deck 4 Porthole. Said, no thanks. BTW, since we were past final payment, I didn't expect anything, but thanks to CC, now know that if you don't ask, you don't get. I guess you also have to make sure you get to the right person to ask, lol! I was happy with the price I paid, so all is good.

Ccl reduced our price for our 2 ov cabins. Saved 1500

Princess upgraded our 2 insides to ovs. And reduced us by 1000

Both of the above were 12 day med cruises and before final payment so I just paid less and kept my Obc.

Ncl reduced my 1 inside by about 100 before final payment

Ncl reduced my 2 connecting ovs by 500

All of the above because I knew to follow the prices and tell/ ask my ta to get me a reduction

Ccl 5 day to Canada nothing because I did not know to call my ta and ask

Dcl nothing but got caught up in hurricaine Frances which turned the cruise into a 10 day cruise from 7 days. All in great weather with wonderful new ports added. Plus they gave me a 20% discount on future cruises. Which of course I didn't use because dcl is too expensive to start with and once was enough and the pools on the magic are too small and they only had 2 ships at the time. I did feel bad for the next cruise as their cruise was reduced to a 4 day and left from a changed embark port as we returned to a different debark port as PC was severely damaged

I hear they got a great offer though.

Ccl reduced our price for our 2 ov cabins. Saved 1500

Princess upgraded our 2 insides to ovs. And reduced us by 1000

Both of the above were 12 day med cruises and before final payment so I just paid less and kept my Obc.

Ncl reduced my 1 inside by about 100 before final payment

Ncl reduced my 2 connecting ovs by 500

All of the above because I knew to follow the prices and tell/ ask my ta to get me a reduction

Ccl 5 day to Canada nothing because I did not know to call my ta and ask

Dcl nothing but got caught up in hurricaine Frances which turned the cruise into a 10 day cruise from 7 days. All in great weather with wonderful new ports added. Plus they gave me a 20% discount on future cruises. Which of course I didn't use because dcl is too expensive to start with and once was enough and the pools on the magic are too small and they only had 2 ships at the time. I did feel bad for the next cruise as their cruise was reduced to a 4 day and left from a changed embark port as we returned to a different debark port as PC was severely damaged

I hear they got a great offer though.

Of the first 4 cruises you talk about you say they were before final payment, and that is true for all cruise lines, it's AFTER final payment where most will not reduce your fare or give you obc~ they will usually upgrade you. Carnival has a specific rate, Early Saver, that gives you price guarantee up to 2 days before you cruise, but I think that's the only cruise line to do so :confused:

Of the first 4 cruises you talk about you say they were before final payment, and that is true for all cruise lines, it's AFTER final payment where most will not reduce your fare or give you obc~ they will usually upgrade you. Carnival has a specific rate, Early Saver, that gives you price guarantee up to 2 days before you cruise, but I think that's the only cruise line to do so :confused:

I usually avoid checking prices after final payment as I usually am quite comfortable with any reductions I got

Last med cruise though I was surprised to find out that European pax. Spaniards and Italians in particular were cruising for 12 days for around 400 euro and 24 days for about 600 e

Great deal for them because they can train it or most likely drive to the port.

I believe the marketing tactic when a ship is not full is great and one can't expect that Americans would be all that interested in A cheap cruise when the last minute airfare is $3000 when the airfare was only $1000 6 months earlier

Someday I am booking a 3 week duration for round trip airfare but first I am making sure that there are several cruises I might be interested in. Then about a month before we fly I will see if I can fit a 7 or 12 day cruise in there.

On our last med cruise many American pax had this same thinking and as most of us were seasoned travelers the consensus was so what if we don't get a cruise we will just have a great land trip!

In my travels I have found that decent hotels will be available even last minute and train tix as well and all you need todo us get back to the airport after 21 days

Carnival has a specific rate, Early Saver, that gives you price guarantee up to 2 days before you cruise, but I think that's the only cruise line to do so :confused:

Early Saver also comes with a lot of restrictions to go along with that benefit.....

Two tips:

One: check the prices before final payment is due, and make changes there and then.

Two: when final payment has been made, resist yourself from going online to check prices!

Totally agree with this. I feel so lucky to have a wonderful PCC who is happy to look out for us. We went from an oceanview all the way up to a nice mini suite for only $30pp. The cost of the Mini suite has come down a little but... who cares, not me. I'm just so happy we can afford to cruise.

Our PCC threw in 2 dinners (Cagney's and La Cucina), a bottle of wine (yes, I know it's inexpensive but we don't have to pay for it) and chocolate covered strawberries just b/c he could.

We are very pleased with the outcome of our booking and even if we didn't get it for "free" we're ready to sail away in a month.

It's really too bad that all the stories are not as pleasant and happy as ours and wish everyone who's having issues right now the very best of luck. I love NCL. :)

Two tips:

One: check the prices before final payment is due, and make changes there and then.

Two: when final payment has been made, resist yourself from going online to check prices!

Yes, I agree that I should have resisted checking prices after I made final payment. Now the price for the mini-suite is $594 less than we paid for the balcony. Oh well. It is what it is.

The price for my sailing on Nov 10th went down $199.00 per person there are 2 of us so I decided to see if NCL could do something for us since the price did go down. I e-mailed my TA and she called NCL, because we are in a mini Suite already there was no upgrade to be given but they did give us $100 OBC each so $200 OBC for the 4 day cruise I think it is good and worth it.

Yes, I agree that I should have resisted checking prices after I made final payment. Now the price for the mini-suite is $594 less than we paid for the balcony. Oh well. It is what it is.

I'd call NCL. You may be surprised. Their OBC seems to equal 25% of the total cabin pricedrop.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

My TA told me that when she contacted NCL about a price drop past final payment, she was told NCL's policy is no OBC of any amount if there is an upgrade available. Obviously prior posts prove otherwise!

Our 'upgrade' offer was from a Deck 8 Obstructed Oceanview to a Deck 4 Porthole. Said, no thanks. BTW, since we were past final payment, I didn't expect anything, but thanks to CC, now know that if you don't ask, you don't get. I guess you also have to make sure you get to the right person to ask, lol! I was happy with the price I paid, so all is good.

Agree sometimes it pays to ask. We don't want to switch cabins, but would like OBC or even a bottle of wine. Don't think we're going to get either. This is PR moment our TA should take advantage of. What better way to secure a repeat customer? It's the little gestures that do it. This is the first time the prices have dropped so dramatically for us after final pay.

Totally agree with this. I feel so lucky to have a wonderful PCC who is happy to look out for us. We went from an oceanview all the way up to a nice mini suite for only $30pp. The cost of the Mini suite has come down a little but... who cares, not me. I'm just so happy we can afford to cruise.

Our PCC threw in 2 dinners (Cagney's and La Cucina), a bottle of wine (yes, I know it's inexpensive but we don't have to pay for it) and chocolate covered strawberries just b/c he could.

We are very pleased with the outcome of our booking and even if we didn't get it for "free" we're ready to sail away in a month.

It's really too bad that all the stories are not as pleasant and happy as ours and wish everyone who's having issues right now the very best of luck. I love NCL. :)

Would be very happy with one free dinner! Love those chocolate covered strawberries, too. It's the little things!

Archived