Nevis Excursion from St Kitts

2Fltravelers

We will be in St. Kitts in January from 7AM-3PM. We have already toured St. Kitts with Thenford Grey and thought that an excursion to Nevis with him might be a nice change. Has anyone done such an excursion? If so, through the ship or private? What did you think? I would appreciate any and all information. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I did exactly that late January 2013 on a cruise stop to St Kitts. We had been to St Kitts 3 or 4 times before and wanted a change of pace. It's fairly easy to do. Walk off the ship and take a left after going through the main gate. It's only about 8-10 minute walk. Try to get there ASAP to get the earliest ferry. Make sure you return on the early afternoon ferry (think it's 1:00 pm).

There is a very nice beach about 3/4 left of where the ferry drops you off. We walked it cause were cheap, but you have to walk through a neighborhood, past a cemetery and cut through the first resort (older) we saw to the beach. The name of the beach is Qualie Beach. I would recommend taking a taxi to save some beach time.

Overall, I don't think it's worth the extra cost of the ferry ride because the beaches are not a lot better than on St Kitts. However, the beaches are more secluded and the close up view of Nevis Mountain is pretty cool.

We are going back Feb '14 and plan on going back to cockleshell bay beach again. It is one of the better beaches on the islands.

Hope that helps

My wife and I did exactly that late January 2013 on a cruise stop to St Kitts. We had been to St Kitts 3 or 4 times before and wanted a change of pace. It's fairly easy to do. Walk off the ship and take a left after going through the main gate. It's only about 8-10 minute walk. Try to get there ASAP to get the earliest ferry. Make sure you return on the early afternoon ferry (think it's 1:00 pm).

There is a very nice beach about 3/4 left of where the ferry drops you off. We walked it cause were cheap, but you have to walk through a neighborhood, past a cemetery and cut through the first resort (older) we saw to the beach. The name of the beach is Qualie Beach. I would recommend taking a taxi to save some beach time.

Overall, I don't think it's worth the extra cost of the ferry ride because the beaches are not a lot better than on St Kitts. However, the beaches are more secluded and the close up view of Nevis Mountain is pretty cool.

We are going back Feb '14 and plan on going back to cockleshell bay beach again. It is one of the better beaches on the islands.

Hope that helps

Thank you for that information. Since we are pressed for time I feel more comfortable going with a tour since they know the traffic, roads, locations and the ferry schedule.

I usually don't book ship tours, but felt more comfortable booking a day trip to Nevis when were on St Kitts last week. There were about 24 of us who did the tour, and it was absolutely wonderful! Are you on RCCL? The tour ran about $119 per person.

I usually don't book ship tours, but felt more comfortable booking a day trip to Nevis when were on St Kitts last week. There were about 24 of us who did the tour, and it was absolutely wonderful! Are you on RCCL? The tour ran about $119 per person.

Is this the RCCL tour that sails over, tours the island a bit, then ends up a Pinney's beach for lunch before sailing back?

I have that one reserved in March, so I hope so, since you enjoyed it.

I too have seen St Kitts, beaches in Nevis, but never toured the rest of the island.

Any tips?

We are on Celebrity but they have the same tour. How many people were on your ship excursion? How was the lunch at the beach ((I believe it is included?). Finally, did you take a private ferry both ways or is it the regular island ferry? Thanks for the answers in advance.

We are on Celebrity but they have the same tour. How many people were on your ship excursion? How was the lunch at the beach ((I believe it is included?). Finally, did you take a private ferry both ways or is it the regular island ferry? Thanks for the answers in advance.

I would say about 20 to 24 were on the tour. There were three separate vans that took us around the island. Yes, lunch at the beach is included. I think they offered soda or rum punch if you wanted. I highly recommend the grouper/fish selection! You could tell it was never frozen. Soooo yummy! The ferry was private both ways. The only error was on the ticket, it said the ferry would pick up at Pinney Beach and take you back to the ship. Not true, we had to board the van and the ride was 5 min (maybe 10?) back to the dock, where the ferry was waiting.

I would say about 20 to 24 were on the tour. There were three separate vans that took us around the island. Yes, lunch at the beach is included. I think they offered soda or rum punch if you wanted. I highly recommend the grouper/fish selection! You could tell it was never frozen. Soooo yummy! The ferry was private both ways. The only error was on the ticket, it said the ferry would pick up at Pinney Beach and take you back to the ship. Not true, we had to board the van and the ride was 5 min (maybe 10?) back to the dock, where the ferry was waiting.

Thanks for the details. Right now I think we'll keep our private tour so we can see some things that are probably not on the ship tour and eat in a private inn. Our cost is $75 pp not including lunch so probably will be the same price in the end after lunch.

Hello VillaHappy: The tour thru RCCL does sound interesting. And the lunch very good (I would be going with someone who doesn't eat red meat). How much beach time did you have at Pinney's? That is--were you there just for lunch or was there time for swimming. The other person really likes to swim. Lazing on the beach. Etc. Thanks, JPK

Glad to read this. We are booked on this tour in January! (We usually avoid ship tours too, but in this case we felt it would be best.)

Thanks for the details. Right now I think we'll keep our private tour so we can see some things that are probably not on the ship tour and eat in a private inn. Our cost is $75 pp not including lunch so probably will be the same price in the end after lunch.

We are also on a Celebrity ship in January that has this option as a ship excursion. We do like private tours better. Which company are going doing a private tour to Nevis with?

Judi

We are also on a Celebrity ship in January that has this option as a ship excursion. We do like private tours better. Which company are going doing a private tour to Nevis with?

Judi

We are going with Thenford Grey. We used him for a St. Kitts tour 2 years ago and he is just wonderful. I don't know if we will have him or an associate since he is always booked for his St. Kitts tours. But we do trust him to make sure we have a great time.

When is your cruise?

We are going with Thenford Grey. We used him for a St. Kitts tour 2 years ago and he is just wonderful. I don't know if we will have him or an associate since he is always booked for his St. Kitts tours. But we do trust him to make sure we have a great time.

When is your cruise?

We are on the Jan 5 sailing of Sillouette. Are you on the same one?

Judi