Can Airfare Cost Be Added To Trip Insurance Later?

florida lover

I have to get trip insurance for our upcoming cruise soon in order to get pre-existing medical coverage. Have booked the cruise but not the air. Will likely book the air after the pre-existing medical deadline. Should I estimate the airfare cost and add it in now or can I wait until I know the actual cost and add it in then?

Thank you!

Your best bet would be to direct this question to your travel insurance provider and try to get the answer in writing.

If they tell you to add after purchase of airline tickets, write notes all over the house reminding yourself. If you forget or don't do it in the appropriate time frame you run the risk of voiding your pre exclusion waiver.

Different insurers will have different procedures. For example, this is from a Travel Guard plan:

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

That's pretty clear. But if it's not clear or if you have questions email or call them. Not only would you be losing out on the pre-existing coverage for the airfare but you'd also be giving up the pre-ex coverage on the cruise fare.

Travel Guard, in particular, but most likely all of the Travel Insurers price their policy in ranges.

For instance intervals up to $1000; $1001 to $1500, etc per person. Therefore, if your cruise is $1100, the cost of the insurance is the same as if your cruise were $1499 per person.

Therefore, when you estimate your total cost of the non-refundable part of the cruise, then add your cruise fare and estimate air fare together and make your purchase.

I have to get trip insurance for our upcoming cruise soon in order to get pre-existing medical coverage. Have booked the cruise but not the air. Will likely book the air after the pre-existing medical deadline. Should I estimate the airfare cost and add it in now or can I wait until I know the actual cost and add it in then?

Thank you!

This is exactly what I did. Booked through Travel Guard. I had the same question for them. I established the policy right after booking the cruise. At that point, they instructed me only to insure the amount paid, so basically my cruise deposit. As I book additional non-refundable parts of the trip (airfare, final cruise payment, non-refundable lodging, etc), I have to remember to call Travel Guard within 2 weeks of those bookings to add the additional amounts to the policy. Just remember to add additional payments within the window required for a pre-existing policy or you will lose that benefit! So each time you make a non-refundable reservation/purchase toward your trip, call your insurer to add that amount to the policy.

This may vary depending on the provider, so just sharing my experience with Travel Guard.

When I booked my cruise it was too early to purchase the airfare so the rep from TravelGuard I spoke with, said to estimate. Turned out I was within a few dollars.

I have read about claims being denied if the amount isn't exact. Seems ridiculous, but below is an article about a young woman who was denied because she was off on her airfare amount by $2.50! It seems ridiculous to me.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-22/travel/sns-201205220000--tms--traveltrctntt-b20120522-20120522_1_travel-insurance-travel-guard-insurance-purchase

Travel Guard, in particular, but most likely all of the Travel Insurers price their policy in ranges.

For instance intervals up to $1000; $1001 to $1500, etc per person. Therefore, if your cruise is $1100, the cost of the insurance is the same as if your cruise were $1499 per person.

Therefore, when you estimate your total cost of the non-refundable part of the cruise, then add your cruise fare and estimate air fare together and make your purchase.

When purchasing the insurance if the total cost falls between the $1001 to $1500 bracket, I insure it for the higher end $1499 even the total is lower. I got this advise from one of the agencies.

This is exactly what I did. Booked through Travel Guard. I had the same question for them. I established the policy right after booking the cruise. At that point, they instructed me only to insure the amount paid, so basically my cruise deposit. As I book additional non-refundable parts of the trip (airfare, final cruise payment, non-refundable lodging, etc), I have to remember to call Travel Guard within 2 weeks of those bookings to add the additional amounts to the policy. Just remember to add additional payments within the window required for a pre-existing policy or you will lose that benefit! So each time you make a non-refundable reservation/purchase toward your trip, call your insurer to add that amount to the policy.

This may vary depending on the provider, so just sharing my experience with Travel Guard.

Interesting - when i bought my Travel Guard policy, I was told to insure the entire cost of the cruise and I could either estimate my air fare or add that on later.

I called Travel Safe Insurance today and they said airfare can be added to an existing policy anytime within 21 days of airfare purchase and the pre-existing medical condition coverage would be extended to the full policy amount.

Alternatively and with other carriers that may not work this way perhaps an airfare only policy could purchased?

Archived