Kangeroo Island?

* We will be in Adelaide for 3 days in early December. We have tentatively planned a day in the city, a day in the Barossa Valley & a one day tour of Kangaroo Island. The KI tour is quite expensive and I wonder if it’s worthwhile for only a day. We will not be able to stay overnight. Your input would be much appreciated.

When you have the day in Adelaide, make sure you catch the tram down to Glenelg (the end of the line). I love it there, but then it is my birthplace! Re the one day over on Kangaroo Island....if it was me, I wouldn't bother, esp if it is expensive, even though KI is such a beautiful place. This area really needs a couple of days if not more. The trip down to the ferry will take a couple of hrs each way, then the ferry crossing, leaving not much time for you to appreciate KI and it's glory. I would look at something else, like a tour up in the hills to Hahndorf. Another alternative to the Barossa is the McLaren Vale wineries, which seem to be more popular atm.

Just my opinion.

You will not do justice to a trip to KI for just one day. You would need a minimum of three days to see most things over there.

A trip up to Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills, about 1/2 hour from Adelaide CBD would be most enjoyable. Hahndorf is an old German town with great food and many boutique shops.

As mentioned, a trip to Glenelg on the Tram from the CBD (King William Street) is a must and a walking tour of the CBD itself taking in North Terrace, the River Torrens, Festival Plaza and the new Adelaide oval, St Peters Cathedral precinct would be most interesting.

Of course, the wine regions (Barossa Valley, Clare Valley and McLaren Vale) are also an option.

Adelaide has just been mentioned in Lonely Planet as one of the ten most liveable and popular cities in the WORLD to visit and you will see why when you visit. (Melbourne and Sydney eat your hearts out)

John

An overnighter in KI is pretty much required. You really can't get to some of the most amazing sights while there - let alone have time to appreciate them. I am thinking you must be flying in and not taking the ferry? If it is the ferry then forget it. If flying, then maybe it is somewhat doable.

Unfortunately the CBD of Adelaide is a bit of a mess right now as we have so much construction going on. The new Adelaide Oval wont be open to look at - it is still being built. Rundle Mall will still be under construction so again don't go unless you need to get to the shops. North terrace along the Museum strip is lovely. You could go to the zoo to see the Pandas. That is walkable from North Terrace.

For day trips - Hahndorf is lovely; you will love Barossa Valley too. Victor Harbour, Goolwa and Strathalbyn as an extension from Hahndorf.

Also, the Central market is worth a visit if you are here on Tuesday, Thursday - Saturday.

(I am not sure why Adelaide was mentioned in the Lonely Planet - sure it is a nice place to come to, and in two years time, the construction all finished. But the best sites are very much out of Adelaide proper at the moment. I think Hobart was on that list last year so they are probably rotating around the country each year. I dont think many people are taking it too seriously - well, more people in SA seem to be - just not the most of Australia. And I live here. )

Hopefully the weather will work for you - we are at last getting some warmer weather.

Another thing you can do is go to Cleland National park and have your picture taken holding a Koala. You can do that on the same day as Hahndorf.

I have friends coming to Adelaide on the Volmdam and I am playing tour guide. Just an idea of what we are doing is:

Day 1. Victor Harbour and ride the horse drawn carriage to Granite Island and may be see some penguins. (On the way to Victor Harbour stop off at Glenelg.) Then down to Goowla and see the mouth of the mighty Murry river. Just out of Victor Harbour is a wild life reserve so you can see the native animals. On the way back call in to a few wineries at McLaren Vale.

Day 2. Drive tour of the city on the way to Cleland National Park. Then off to Mt Lofty look out to see the overview of Adelaide. Then to Hahndorf to have a look around and something to eat. Then back to the ship.

It will be a busy 2 days. At the end of day 1 I am taking them to my place for a BBQ and we are having Kangaroo, Emu and Crocodile and some seafood.

Can any one else think of what i can take them to see.

Chez

I can't copy/quote all the replies but would like to thank you all for your suggestions. I really should have included a description of the small group tour we are looking at. It's called the Flinders Chase National Park - Nature & Wildlife Tour, flying both ways. The day tour includes Admirals Arch and Remarkable Rocks, fur seals at Cape du Couedic, Point Ellen/Vivonne Bay and Kelly Hill Conservation Park.

We will definitely take the tram down to Glenelg & a CBD walking tour. Thanks for the suggestion. Now we have to weigh KI vs Hahndorf. I am certain we will never be returning - we live in a small city in the eastern part of the US. We have to make 2 connections to get to Sydney taking 22 hours each way so this is our one chance to see as much as possible.

Thanks again. Oh, know any good non-touristy restaurants in town that won't break the bank? We're almost always disappointed in the ones suggested in the tour books

The flying tour of KI sounds great...if this is a once off visit to Australia. We spent 8 days on KI last year and absolutely loved it, its one of this countries best kept secrets. If you aren't likely to ever come back here I would definitely go to KI.

I disagree about Hahndorf, we have driven through a couple of times in the last few years and have been very disappointed, its just a road of touristy shops, nothing much to off er an international visitor.

If you want a day trip outside Adelaide that'ts not KI you can't beat either the Barossa or McLarenvale wine areas. They are both excellent, plenty of world class wineries to drop into and some great foodie spots as well. Don't miss Maggie Beers for a picnic style lunch if you are in the Barossa, they have a lovely free cooking class every day as well and if you are really lucky Maggie herself may even be there.

If you go McLarenvale then a picnic at Wirra Wirra is very nice, we got talking to the cellar manager last ime we were there and he took us on an impromptu and quite fascinating tour of the winery...even the kids found him interesting!

The tram to Glenelg is fun, Adelaide is nice to walk around for an hour or two. If you are into geology don't miss the museum!

Ok. Then put Kangaroo Island back on the Agenda. It sounds like a well organised trip covering the bases. Travel to KI is quite expensive relative to other places in SA. The day trip sounds memorable. You will see kangaroos that will feed from you, koalas and some amazing beaches. Vivonne Bay is stunning especially on a sunny day.

Also, if you just drive through Hahndorf then you are not seeing Hahndorf. You need to get out and explore, visit Hans Heysen gallery etc. It can also be part of a larger tour to Strathalbyn and Victor Harbor. Which I find much preferable to a trip on the tram to Glenelg. But the tram doesn't take long to do as part of a larger Adelaide visit. Catch the tram in the middle of the CBD just near Haighs. And grab some of their fabulous chocolate as a treat.

You will find people are really friendly in Adelaide and will help sort you out if you get lost. :p

I can't copy/quote all the replies but would like to thank you all for your suggestions. I really should have included a description of the small group tour we are looking at. It's called the Flinders Chase National Park - Nature & Wildlife Tour, flying both ways. The day tour includes Admirals Arch and Remarkable Rocks, fur seals at Cape du Couedic, Point Ellen/Vivonne Bay and Kelly Hill Conservation Park.

We will definitely take the tram down to Glenelg & a CBD walking tour. Thanks for the suggestion. Now we have to weigh KI vs Hahndorf. I am certain we will never be returning - we live in a small city in the eastern part of the US. We have to make 2 connections to get to Sydney taking 22 hours each way so this is our one chance to see as much as possible.

Thanks again. Oh, know any good non-touristy restaurants in town that won't break the bank? We're almost always disappointed in the ones suggested in the tour books

Do KI, it is wonderful and you will not regret it.

When we have travelled abroad numerous people (Americans and Brits) have said it was their favourite place for nature in Australia beating the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru and Kakadu.:D

Thank you all! We're going to go for it. Here's hoping for good weather. I appreciate everyone's input. This will be a trip of a lifetime.

Cheers

I hope you have a great time down under and come back many more times to see many other Australian must see places.:D

Archived