Am I getting the best end of the deal???

junglecat

Ok, so here is my situation. Had 1 ocean view room booked with early saver for a 4 female BFF cruise in January. Had a phone call from Carnival about a week ago with an offer to make 4 in 1 room to 2 in 2 rooms for a good deal plus $75 each OBC. Two more beds and 1 more shower it was a no brainer for us. A total of $150 OBC plus another room. Found out yesterday that the price had dropped $160 on each room. We called our PVP to see if we could do this as someone told us we would lose our OBC. We were told that we could but we yes, we would lose our $75 OBC, that is was part of the "deal." Our PVP told us that ANY future drop HAD to include an OBC for us to both drop and keep the OBC. How often do they offer OBC with sales, specials and drops? If we would have jumped on it we would only be out $10 in difference in the loss of our OBC and the new sale price. Now every drop, if any, HAS to include an OBC for us to qualify. I'm thinking, now, after the fact and after the sale, we should have done it, Sure we would be $10 out, but we wouldn't have that OBC hanging over our heads when looking for drops. Now we'll get no drops if no OBC is not offered. Just thinking, after the fact we should have done it it. What's your thoughts about possible future drops? Should we go for it? Or keep what we have? Thanks to all who reply.

Ok, so here is my situation. Had 1 ocean view room booked with early saver for a 4 female BFF cruise in January. Had a phone call from Carnival about a week ago with an offer to make 4 in 1 room to 2 in 2 rooms for a good deal plus $75 each OBC. Two more beds and 1 more shower it was a no brainer for us. A total of $150 OBC plus another room. Found out yesterday that the price had dropped $160 on each room. We called our PVP to see if we could do this as someone told us we would lose our OBC. We were told that we could but we yes, we would lose our $75 OBC, that is was part of the "deal." Our PVP told us that ANY future drop HAD to include an OBC for us to both drop and keep the OBC. How often do they offer OBC with sales, specials and drops? If we would have jumped on it we would only be out $10 in difference in the loss of our OBC and the new sale price. Now every drop, if any, HAS to include an OBC for us to qualify. I'm thinking, now, after the fact and after the sale, we should have done it, Sure we would be $10 out, but we wouldn't have that OBC hanging over our heads when looking for drops. Now we'll get no drops if no OBC is not offered. Just thinking, after the fact we should have done it it. What's your thoughts about possible future drops? Should we go for it? Or keep what we have? Thanks to all who reply.
When you changed CABINS, did you get a statement with the cost of each plus the OBC.

You haven't made final payment yet?

I'd certainly take the price drop and lose the OBC. You are ahead $10.

Edited by SeaUs

Yes to statement, and no we've not made final payment yet. WAIT. I typed wrong figures. It's went down $130.00 per room, NOT $160.00 like I posted. Plus the $75 pp OBC. So there's a difference in $20 between the OBC and the new cost. Just checked today and it's still down $130.00 per room and scratching my head thinking do we ditch the OBC for possible future price drops? Or keep it and wait for a sale that includes OBC in the drop.

Edited by junglecat

In the future for price drops they do not need to include OBC for you to qualify but there must be a net total that is lower than the price you paid minus the OBC.

So if you paid $1600 for your cabin and got $75 OBC the net price is $1525.

So if your price drops $50 total you wouldn't put in for the price drop as you'd lose $25.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'd still go back and take them up on their offer for the 2 cabins for the small amount they are asking.

Bill

Here's the specifics. The cabin was $708 PLUS $150 OBC per room. This makes it $558. The current price is $578 but no OBC. A difference of $20. My initial call to PVP was to apply for the $578 AND keep the OBC. I thought, silly me, the OBC was set in stone and ours no matter what. OH NO, it's part of the "deal" to go from one cabin to two cabins. MY PVP stressed to me that if we apply for the price protection we will loose our OBC. It's only $20. Yes, we will, but wouldn't we be better off to apply and possibly get an OBC, after payoff,if it goes down again? I may be reading too much into this, but I think I was told not to apply so we'd have to stay at the high rate. I was told that in order to ever receive ANY future price drops, it has to include an OBC. They will gladly give us the $578 but they are going to take away the OBC of $75 pp or $150 per cabin. My worry is I can't recall too many price drops that included an OBC. In between now and payoff we may not see a price drop like this. After payoff, if drops we'll get OBC no what.

Here's the specifics. The cabin was $708 PLUS $150 OBC per room. This makes it $558. The current price is $578 but no OBC. A difference of $20. My initial call to PVP was to apply for the $578 AND keep the OBC. I thought, silly me, the OBC was set in stone and ours no matter what. OH NO, it's part of the "deal" to go from one cabin to two cabins. MY PVP stressed to me that if we apply for the price protection we will loose our OBC. It's only $20. Yes, we will, but wouldn't we be better off to apply and possibly get an OBC, after payoff,if it goes down again? I may be reading too much into this, but I think I was told not to apply so we'd have to stay at the high rate. I was told that in order to ever receive ANY future price drops, it has to include an OBC. They will gladly give us the $578 but they are going to take away the OBC of $75 pp or $150 per cabin. My worry is I can't recall too many price drops that included an OBC. In between now and payoff we may not see a price drop like this. After payoff, if drops we'll get OBC no what.

I'm guessing you are booked early saver?

I would call and talk to someone else about the price drops because that doesn't sound right that you can't get one unless there is an OBC associated with it.

What category are you looking at when you switch to 2 cabins? I don't see any cabins for $578 for 2 people.

The only cabins I see are IS guarantees at that price.

Bill

Either way it’s a difference of $20 net. Your cabin would have to fall below $558 to get anything off of final payment or an OBC after final payment. You must subtract that OBC for any future price drops whether you get them before or after your final payment date. Personally I would take the drop and lose the OBC. It’s $20 less for more room and an extra bathroom. And yeah it’s nice to have an OBC, but you also paid more than you had to for the cabin.

I think you either misheard or were given incorrect information. The offer does not have to have OBC for you to qualify for a price drop. The offer has to have OBC for you to keep the OBC you already have when you get the new price. So right now, you have the best deal possible, because you are paying a net of $20 less.

You'll have to wait until it goes below $558 to get OBC on top of what you have. No big deal. No reason to do anything right now

UPDATE on our situation. Some of you were right, we did NOT have to find a lower price that offered an OBC. My misunderstanding. Carnival just wanted us to know that we would loose the OBC if we changed to the much lower price. A vote was taken and the other women decided to go for it! So, we now have two rooms, the rate was lowered $130 on each room but we lost the $75 per person OBC. The difference in doing it or not doing it was $20. Yesterday I checked out the price and it was down $20 so I applied for the lower rate and got it. Now we are at back at square one and on even amounts. Payoff is next Saturday and will be looking from now until January 18th for price changes. Any lower rates after next Saturday will be OBC's so hopefully we'll see a something show up there between then and January.

UPDATE on our situation. Some of you were right, we did NOT have to find a lower price that offered an OBC. My misunderstanding. Carnival just wanted us to know that we would loose the OBC if we changed to the much lower price. A vote was taken and the other women decided to go for it! So, we now have two rooms, the rate was lowered $130 on each room but we lost the $75 per person OBC. The difference in doing it or not doing it was $20. Yesterday I checked out the price and it was down $20 so I applied for the lower rate and got it. Now we are at back at square one and on even amounts. Payoff is next Saturday and will be looking from now until January 18th for price changes. Any lower rates after next Saturday will be OBC's so hopefully we'll see a something show up there between then and January.

That's good news!:)