Favorite stores

VermeulT

Ok Alaska veterans!

What stores in each port would you recommend? (Going to or staying away from)

I like to find things that are unique to the area I vacation in... ie glacier soap.

Of course, I'll need some typical souvenirs for gifts.

Have you seen any scrapbook stores?

Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ray Troll's store in Ketchikan. Google him. Norman Jackson on Creek Street in Ketchikan.... very pricey, but he's a chatty, pleasant guy who will tell you lots of stories. There is a real old-fashioned honest-to-goodness HARDWARE STORE like hasn't existed most places in many decades, in Skagway. Seriously worth a look. I could spend a full day there :) Have never really shopped in Sitka, I am always just running for the last tender. Juneau, I can't think of any shops that stand out, but I am pretty sure that is where you can buy glacier soap -- there's a "glacier soap" store there IIRC.

I do my best to go to grocery stores, too, to see what the locals have as choices, and how the prices are. Weird, I know :D

I love the beautiful handmade amber jewelry (rings, earrings and pendants) and sterling silver found in both Sitka and Homer (I know you are on HAL's 14 day sailing!:D I'm on the May 18 sailing). Sitka has a small shop near the bridge that is run by a young family who make their own jams, jellies, flavored vinegars, etc. - even handmade soaps! We're always sure to stop in there to see what they've got that we might want to try. Delicious! Lots of Russian influence in Sitka as well, so you may want to check out the nesting dolls or the handcrafted nativity scenes.

Homer has several lovely pottery shops, we purchased a handthrown bowl and spoon rest for my niece's wedding when we were there this past June, and she just loves it. One year, I purchased a caribou hide from a shop on the Spit and had it shipped home to DH who was manning the homefires (and puppy sitting!:D) to hang on the wall of our cabin in NY state. It brings back excellent Alaska memories evertime we visit the cabin. Also bought some old Alaska license plates to hang on the wall at the cabin - fun stuff! If you go to the Homer Brewery, buy a bottle of their Chai Tea to take home with you - absolutely the best Chai tea I've ever had! My niece and I have become so addicted that I now order a 6 bottle case and have it shipped to me every winter.

For Kodiak, I suggest Cy's Sporting Goods (yes, you read that right!). The sporting goods store is a great place for unique and different souveniers from Kodiak, plus they have really nicely made fleeces, tee shirts and sweatshirts for a good price). Another place to try for souveniers in Kodiak is the town's craft market directly across from the harbor. Again, lovely handcrafted items and some unique items you might not find elseware.

We also love our ulu knives with their handcrafted bowls. Have purchased some as gifts (Alaska made only, of course) in various ports, but we ordered ours - with a caribou antler handle and birchwood bowl from the Ulu Factory in Anchorage and had it shipped home (less to carry). With the Amsterdam's long port stop in Anchorage, you can always go to the Ulu Factory yourself to pick out your own if you'd like.

Of course Juneau has the glacier silt soap store, so be sure to check that out. And the Ketchikan fudge shop gets great reviews, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Have fun - loads of beautiful things to choose from!

Juneau Fudge shop is the original and have superb flavors. Spear Pins on Franklin St in Juneau, has a wonderful selection of Alaska pins, which are great for gifts since they are small and take up no room going home. :) Add to the mix some salmon from Taku Smokery.

Ok Alaska veterans!

What stores in each port would you recommend? (Going to or staying away from)

I like to find things that are unique to the area I vacation in... ie glacier soap.

Glacier soap is available at a small cabin about 100 yards north of the Juneau downtown cruise dock. The cabin is about 12' by 12' and is called "Glacier Smooothie". The soap is homemade and each bar comes in a cloth bag. You can spend some good time just sniffing the different fragrances. This soap has proven to be my favorite gift to friends.

Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan has lots of souvenirs and is located within sight of the cruise dock. Upstairs is where the Alaskans shop for outfitting gear while downstairs is for the tourists. Reversible fleece "Alaska" jackets are only $20. Tourist ulu knives with the Alaska name engraved are $10 downstairs while ulus without "Alaska" are only $4 upstairs.

Great thread! What is glacier soap and what makes it special?

It's soap made with silt from the glaciers, so it's exfoliating.

I like the idea of something I can bring back for pretty much anyone/everyone, and its not something I can get locally.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For those interested in items actually made in Alaska, there is a "Made in Alaska" (MIA) permit available. The MIA symbol is on the MIA website (http://www.makeinalaska.org), and is two bears cuddled together.

There is also another symbol for items made by first people (native) artists. This program has a silver hand symbol, and can bee seen on a different website (http://www.eed.state.ak.us/aksca).

Quite frankly, so many items in the cruise oriented stores in SE Alaska have products not make in the state.

Great thread! What is glacier soap and what makes it special?

Here is a link to read about the glacier soap:

http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/

As glacier recede, the powdered rock left behind makes a great defoliant and when coupled with real soap and fragrance, it is good for your skin. The females in my office are so happy when I go on an Alaskan cruise.

Glacier Smoothie is a family-owned business and are happy to mail your purchases for you (allow three weeks). They also have quantity discounts.

Here is a link to read about the glacier soap:

http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/

As glacier recede, the powdered rock left behind makes a great defoliant and when coupled with real soap and fragrance, it is good for your skin. The females in my office are so happy when I go on an Alaskan cruise.

Glacier Smoothie is a family-owned business and are happy to mail your purchases for you (allow three weeks). They also have quantity discounts.

Another vote for Glacier Smoothie soaps! I buy a few bars every summer when I'm in Juneau. It is my one MUST stop on every cruise!

For those interested in items actually made in Alaska, there is a "Made in Alaska" (MIA) permit available. The MIA symbol is on the MIA website (www.makeinalaska.org), and is two bears cuddled together.

There is also another symbol for items made by first people (native) artists. This program has a silver hand symbol, and can bee seen on a different website (www.eed.state.ak.us/aksca).

Quite frankly, so many items in the cruise oriented stores in SE Alaska have products not make in the state.

Thank you for posting this info! My thoughts for what they are worth:

1. Buy from stores owned by Alaskans

2. Buy items made in Alaska

3. Both if possible

4. If you are buying Native Alaskan handwork expect to pay fine arts prices

5. If the staff are wearing suits then it's highly likely that both #1 and #2 are not true

6. Ask questions!

7. Do Web research in advance

8. Definitely go upstairs at the Tongass Trading Company. It was already 70 years old when I first shopped there in 1968

Finally, I think it is madeinalaska.org

On our last cruise, my wife bought an ulu set (includes a cutting board/bowl - it's a cutting board that's been milled into the right bowl shape to match the ulu blade, and the back side is milled and has magnets to store the ulu with the board). Might have been $20 or $25. She loves it and is amazed at how often it's useful in the kitchen.