Gatwick

juicyjuju

We will be disembarking the QM2 in Soton on January 10th 2014. If we self disembark, do you think we can catch an 11:40 am flight out of Gatwick (domestic flight). We would book a car service to pick us up at the ship. We did this before but I can't remember what time we got to Gatwick :(

We will be disembarking the QM2 in Soton on January 10th 2014. If we self disembark, do you think we can catch an 11:40 am flight out of Gatwick (domestic flight). We would book a car service to pick us up at the ship. We did this before but I can't remember what time we got to Gatwick :(

It's tight but if you're off by 7.30 and in the car by 7.45 you should be at LGW by 9.30 to 10am. It is a risk especially if you hit traffic as you are likely to do. Is there one a little later to be safe.

A27 traffic horrible around Worthing in peak hour and roadworks on the A23 which reduce speed to 40 miles an hour that will still be in place at the time. I would want a bigger gap to be on the safe side. There is a train at 8.10 that goes direct to Gatwick in under 2 hours?

Pamela

I think train would generally be safer. You don't want to be in peak hour traffic. It will be bad enough getting to the railway station at that time.

A later flight would save a lot of worry on your part. Think how that worry might affect your holiday.

Is a holiday all about having a break from the 'rat race of life' and having the opportunity to chill out, un-wind, relax and have a great time?

If I were in your shoes I am guessing that this issue would already be playing on my mind and is this a self inflicted worry?

My I very respectfully suggest you are already concerned by the mere fact you are posting this question?

Your decision but if you miss that internal flight, is there someone that will be looking at you and perhaps thinking.....'I told you so!' :eek:;)

We usually head to Gatwick (admittedly for the hotel, not a flight) upon disembarking in So'ton. We have done this at various times by train, Cunard-chartered coach and car service. Much as I like and encourage train travel, I must point out that the trains to Gatwick are Southern commuter trains. We have found them reliable, but there is no place for luggage. I once saw one narrow luggage rack for the three-coach train. The platform staff in Southampton put our two suitcases on empty seats, but as the train filled up I had visions of having to take them off so people could sit. What would I do with them, I wondered? Fortunately it never got totally full. The railway station at Gatwick is closer to the airport check-in than the car/coach drop-off area, but only by about a five-minute walk.

For convenience we now take the coach transfer or car service. The quickest we have made it was an hour and three-quarters - and that was on a Sunday morning. It can easily take over two hours. In addition, the ship's arrival in So'ton can be delayed (it happened to us only once) and disembarkation can be delayed - which we experienced once - even for those with "self-help".

As has been pointed out, Gatwick can be very busy and if there is any complication you can be delayed an hour or two. We have had security procedure delayed twice for one to two hours caused by false fire alarms.

Thank you for your help everyone. We did the NYC -Soton crossing one time before in January (I think it was 2011) and I checked my email one day while on the ship and BA had sent me an automated email (Do NOT reply to this email) that my flight from Heathrow to GLA was cancelled. Had to email my family and get them to sort something out...BA hadn't rebooked me! The weather was so bad...deep snow.

Archived