Grills v Todd English

aleggers

Hi All,

Would like to know your thoughts on Todd English v The Grills?

We will be celebrating a special occasion and would like to know if venturing to the Todd English would be a worthwhile experience?

Thanks in advance

Anita

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Anita, I have traveled on QM2 a number of times and have given consideration to eating in Todd English's restaurant rather than the Queens Grill often, and each time I come back to the idea that there is virtually nothing available in Todd English's, that I cannot get in the Queen's Grill by asking for it.

Considering that TE cooks are Cunard Staff rather than TE's I don't think they can make it any better than the grills.

And, the staff in the Queens Grill are so accommodating that if I were planning for a special occasion, I would certainly ask them to make it very special. I am sure they would accomodate

Cheers Mike

Edited by Bigmike911
spelling

Hi All, Would like to know your thoughts on Todd English v The Grills? We will be celebrating a special occasion and would like to know if venturing to the Todd English would be a worthwhile experience? Thanks in advance Anita
From what I've been told,

If you're in the Grills, no.

If you're in Britannia, maybe.

I've had mixed experiences in Todd English over the years; started very good, superb food and excellent service :) .

However recently the stewards have been trying too hard to offer "service" and to appear to be making sure everything is going well.

The last time I dined there, at almost every mouthful I was asked "How is your meal sir? Is everything OK?" Time and time again.

The first time I was asked, it was merely annoying, it went downhill from there :mad: .

On my next voyage on QM2 I'm not certain that I'll be going back to Todd English...

Have a great time whatever you decide to do. Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

If you're a grills passenger then don't choose TE for a special dinner. The contract may not even be renewed when it expires, QV has dumped TE in favour of Verandah which I tried on QE and it was stunning food and service. That is what TE strives to achieve but fails on so many levels. You may order to your heart's desire in the Grills restaurant and given the ingredients and due notice the chefs will cook what you wish.

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments, we have sailed three times previously in QG and have not considered TE but we are getting married onboard on our next trip and wondered if it would be worthwhile venturing and trying TE.

We have always had fantastic service and food in QG and have been very well looked after including when my other half celebrated a special birthday.

We may just stick with the Grills and enjoy everything else that is special onboard Queen Mary 2.

Anita

I've had mixed experiences in Todd English over the years; started very good, superb food and excellent service :) .

However recently the stewards have been trying too hard to offer "service" and to appear to be making sure everything is going well.

Agreed. First experience in 2007 excellent. Next time, a couple of years ago, service completely over the top, and food pretty average, with every mouthful and pause for breath punctuated by solicitous enquiries from everyone and his dog. Quite exhausting.

Last time we went there, earlier this year, it was, again, very good.

We only go there when in Britannia - food in the Grills is excellent.

Mary

Edited by Norfolk Brit

Agree with mostg of this. Queens Grill is the place to be for special occasion. We like TE for dinner when in Britannia and for an odd lunch when in the grills, but we do prefer the grills. We also prefer TE to the Verandah but thats just a matter of personal taste. Have a supberb day and I know you will enjoy what ever you choose.

It depends on how long your voyage is. If it's relatively short (like a transatlantic) then I would have lunch, instead of dinner, in Todd English - just to try it.

If, however, your voyage is longer you probably should enjoy a dinner in TE; after all, what's one night out of 23 or 57?

And if you told them it was a special occasion when you booked they would probably go the extra mile to make it a wonderful night.

And if you told them it was a special occasion when you booked they would probably go the extra mile to make it a wonderful night.

Perhaps you could tell them at the time that you want to enjoy each other's company and not be disturbed by the waiters, if this would bother you as much as it has bothered other posters.

Perhaps you could tell them at the time that you want to enjoy each other's company and not be disturbed by the waiters, if this would bother you as much as it has bothered other posters.

I haven't had that particular problem, but I did have to put up with a sommelier there who was most put out when I declined the wine that came around the table. He (the sommelier) mentioned it a few times that evening. Girlfriend needed to build a bridge.

Edited by Whitemarsh

Who is Todd English? Seriously, I do know who he is but would suggest he is almost unknown outside the USA. This may restrict the numbers who go to it on QM-2. It regularly seems to be empty except for those with 'freebie' World Club vouchers. Also, you may go once if on a 7-dayer but wouldn't go every week if on one or more sectors of a World Cruise.

As someone has said, the Verandah restaurant on QE is excellent and seems popular. I understand it was introduced because of the large number of non-Americans on the ship not knowing who Todd English was, and a wish by Cunard to go back to their grand dining of yesteryear.

Referring to Cap'n Pugwash's remark on how well TE is regarded in the States. He isn't, much. We tried his "signature" joint in Boston, Olives, three years ago. Not impressed. He's more the entrepreneur, with outlets under many names to be found in tourist hotels around the country, than a well-regarded chef.

I wonder what Cunard was thinking. None of the fellow-foodie Yanks we know gives a hoot about TE.

J

Hi All,

Would like to know your thoughts on Todd English v The Grills?

We will be celebrating a special occasion and would like to know if venturing to the Todd English would be a worthwhile experience?

Thanks in advance

Anita

Being not too far from Boston(Todd's home area)We're quite familier with his food. We also did the Queens & Princess Grill. That being said the food in TE was vry nice. The place is usually quite empty. If you want a real "private" dining time(outside of your butler serving you, I'd give TE a try on your voyage. I do feel it's going to be changed over to a "Veranda" in the next year or 2.

Referring to Cap'n Pugwash's remark on how well TE is regarded in the States. He isn't, much. We tried his "signature" joint in Boston, Olives, three years ago. Not impressed. He's more the entrepreneur, with outlets under many names to be found in tourist hotels around the country, than a well-regarded chef.

I wonder what Cunard was thinking. None of the fellow-foodie Yanks we know gives a hoot about TE.

J

If he's "there"(where we have seen him)the food can be superb, but if the restaurant is overseen by his staff it CAN be quite lacking.Like Emeril, he's over expanded too much.I've been to some of Emiril's places & the quality was lacking. Gordon Ramsey's Steak in Vegas last Jan. was outstanding! I'm hoping he doesn't go the same way as some of the other "celebrity" chefs.

we ate in TE once and we will go back. lows were ...no they could not make garlic bread and i had to get up to get my drink they forgot twice. food was good but not enough and the price was right. imho. they also let us in [walk up and no tie] while everyone else was in a tux

I thought TE was good. Nothing to write home about when I have eaten there on several occasions.

One occasion I brought the Dom from my room and they opened it and served it for us without a corkage fee. Of course I bought it on board for my room so I was not expecting a charge to open it at the table. I would have paid it anyway. The service was good, I liked the Love Letters appetizer and the sommelier was good at the wine selection on QM2 but not so good on QV.

The only odd thing about the QM TE is that people walk thru it to go out on the deck and no one says anything. At lunch we had a good view on QM of the sun bathers out the window. I thought it was an odd placement for restaurant. And the tapas area in the front of QM 2 TE was only open the first time I was on board and never after that.

Todd English restaurant on QM2 is unimpressive. My glass of wine ran dry 1/3 into meal and couldn't have gotten the waiter's attention if I had fired a flare. The next time, in September 2011, for lunch, the door to the back deck periodically opened where Jamaican music bombarded in, then quiet when the door closed, then more Jamaican music. The restaurant is amateurish, in my opinion. Enjoy every other dining venue onboard except TE.

I thought TE was good. Nothing to write home about when I have eaten there on several occasions.

One occasion I brought the Dom from my room and they opened it and served it for us without a corkage fee. Of course I bought it on board for my room so I was not expecting a charge to open it at the table. I would have paid it anyway. The service was good, I liked the Love Letters appetizer and the sommelier was good at the wine selection on QM2 but not so good on QV.

The only odd thing about the QM TE is that people walk thru it to go out on the deck and no one says anything. At lunch we had a good view on QM of the sun bathers out the window. I thought it was an odd placement for restaurant. And the tapas area in the front of QM 2 TE was only open the first time I was on board and never after that.

We had an issue of people "cutting" through the outdoor section of TE. This French pax in particular kept "brushing" against us in his wet bathing suit. I moved the "Velvet rope" to block him. He'd move it aside & continue to brush against us on his way to the mensroom. Finally, after 6 times(yes, 6!) of him brushing against us, I "tripped" him with my foot. He went crashing into some of the nearby tables(we were the only 2 eating outside)Needless to say he didn't try it again. Sorry, but sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands!