Ryndam, cruise with teenager.

luvseaair

Hello all. We are considering the Norse legends cruise next August with our teenage son, who will be be 15 by then. Would love to hear comments from others that have cruised with a teenager. :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Forums mobile app

We took a Christmas cruise with our 15 yr old son and 10yr old daughter. The 15 yr old loved it!! There were enough kids to have fun and he enjoyed the freedom. He still has contact with several of the kids he met. The 10 yr old, did not care for her group and only went twice.

I would be concerned about cruising during school when kids would be scarce. Even at Christmas, there were not a lot of kids. The boat is dead after 10pm. I think the teens liked having it to themselves. :)

We took a Christmas cruise with our 15 yr old son and 10yr old daughter. The 15 yr old loved it!! There were enough kids to have fun and he enjoyed the freedom. He still has contact with several of the kids he met. The 10 yr old, did not care for her group and only went twice.

I would be concerned about cruising during school when kids would be scarce. Even at Christmas, there were not a lot of kids. The boat is dead after 10pm. I think the teens liked having it to themselves. :)

Thank you for your comments. Sounds promising. Will I be tucked up in bed with my cocoa by 10 though? :eek: :)

Thank you for your comments. Sounds promising. Will I be tucked up in bed with my cocoa by 10 though? :eek: :)

Only if you want to be. ;)

DD15 loves her cruises. She always goes to the teen club her first night to find friends to hang around with during the cruise.

Her older brother does not like to socialize as much. While he enjoys the travel, he would rather be at home with his video games.

I have mixed reviews from our two teens (ages 19 and 15), who sailed on the Ryndam August 2013 from Dover to Barcelona. They did meet and enjoy a nice group of their peers from Spain and other countries, but they called the Ryndam the "no fun ship." They said that there was nothing going on at the teen club (for the 15 year old), and, unlike other HAL cruises we've been on, there were no get-togethers for the 18-25 year old age range. They could not watch the shows, which they enjoyed on other cruises, because they were geared to the 65 and up age range. As mentioned above, the ship was basically dead quiet at 10 pm. For a while, they made some fun by going up to the Crow's Nest after 11 pm and asking the DJ to play their modern music so that they could dance as a group. That fun ended one night when security people dispersed the group and told them that they were not allowed in the Crow's Nest after 11 pm unless they were accompanied by an adult. Although the days were really enjoyable with a great itinerary, realize that the ship is not geared for their age range.

Only if you want to be. ;)

DD15 loves her cruises. She always goes to the teen club her first night to find friends to hang around with during the cruise.

Her older brother does not like to socialize as much. While he enjoys the travel, he would rather be at home with his video games.

Thank you Boulders. Do you remember if they had a curfew as such? We went on a Royal Caribbean cruise (our first) in August and their curfew time was 1.00 am which everyone was happy with. Our son would sit chatting with his new found friends in the 24 hour Park Cafe so we knew he was ok. He's very grown up for his age, though may have felt otherwise if he wasn't :)

I have mixed reviews from our two teens (ages 19 and 15), who sailed on the Ryndam August 2013 from Dover to Barcelona. They did meet and enjoy a nice group of their peers from Spain and other countries, but they called the Ryndam the "no fun ship." They said that there was nothing going on at the teen club (for the 15 year old), and, unlike other HAL cruises we've been on, there were no get-togethers for the 18-25 year old age range. They could not watch the shows, which they enjoyed on other cruises, because they were geared to the 65 and up age range. As mentioned above, the ship was basically dead quiet at 10 pm. For a while, they made some fun by going up to the Crow's Nest after 11 pm and asking the DJ to play their modern music so that they could dance as a group. That fun ended one night when security people dispersed the group and told them that they were not allowed in the Crow's Nest after 11 pm unless they were accompanied by an adult. Although the days were really enjoyable with a great itinerary, realize that the ship is not geared for their age range.

Thank you Epixx, that's a little worrying. My son wouldn't really want us chaperoning him & his friends! As loving as he is when it's just him & us, this would be embarassing for him & I guess the other teenagers if their parents were there too :eek: I do think that 11 pm is a little too early to pull the plug on their fun. The itinery looks great and the price is very good for the 3 of us when taking into account the Explore 4 free drinks package. We'll just have to make a balanced judgement I suppose. Certainly want him to have a great holiday and out of all the holidays we're tried cruising definately gets the big thumbs up and we've got the bug now :)

Edited by luvseaair

Thank you Epixx, that's a little worrying. My son wouldn't really want us chaperoning him & his friends! As loving as he is when it's just him & us, this would be embarassing for him & I guess the other teenagers if their parents were there too :eek: I do think that 11 pm is a little too early to pull the plug on their fun. The itinery looks great and the price is very good for the 3 of us when taking into account the Explore 4 free drinks package. We'll just have to make a balanced judgement I suppose. Certainly want him to have a great holiday and out of all the holidays we're tried cruising definately gets the big thumbs up and we've got the bug now :)

You're right! Our 15 year old certainly didn't want us with her while she was enjoying time at night with her friends, so she told the security people that she WAS with an adult -- her 19 year old sibling!

You're right! Our 15 year old certainly didn't want us with her while she was enjoying time at night with her friends, so she told the security people that she WAS with an adult -- her 19 year old sibling!

Like it! :D

I was told that the 300 kids on N.A. was a record for the ship, so I don't think they worry about hordes of teens out late at night, like RCCL does. DD doesn't remember a curfew time either. She and her friend were generally not out after midnight though.

There will be plenty of other teens onboard in a summer month to keep him busy. He will have the time of his life.

Thanks Typhoon1. I'm kind of hoping that. I love his company and know that he'll dine with us and come out with us when we go ashore but I do want him to have a good time with kids his own age. :)

I was told that the 300 kids on N.A. was a record for the ship, so I don't think they worry about hordes of teens out late at night, like RCCL does. DD doesn't remember a curfew time either. She and her friend were generally not out after midnight though.

Thanks again Boulders. Slightly off topic, what would you say the typical age range will be? DH and I are each side of 50 and enjoy an active social life going to see bands etc. We do appreciate being able to kick back and relax on holiday though. :)

Edited by luvseaair

Thanks again Boulders. Slightly off topic, what would you say the typical age range will be? DH and I are each side of 50 and enjoy an active social life going to see bands etc. We do appreciate being able to kick back and relax on holiday though. :)

We were on the Ryndam last January. Sorry to say whilst the Ship is fine, the Shows are pretty average but the rest of the entertainment was dull.

The Ship was dead after 10 in the evening.

I realise many people love the Ryndam, but that's our opinion.

Age range was 55 /60 plus average.

There's a big difference in demographics on cruises in January and cruises in July. My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean in January. The average age was about 65.

On our July HAL cruise, there were people of all ages. There was no single big demographic. I saw families with little ones and couples in their 80's and everyone in between. The median age was probably 50.

There's a big difference in demographics on cruises in January and cruises in July. My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean in January. The average age was about 65.

On our July HAL cruise, there were people of all ages. There was no single big demographic. I saw families with little ones and couples in their 80's and everyone in between. The median age was probably 50.

Thanks again Boulders. I think we're going to go for it. Dates are good for us + itinery. At the moment it's between this cruise or one on Celebrity Infinity but they don't appear to have a dedicated teen area. :)

I think that, as someone has mentioned, there are huge variances depending on the time of year and also the location. We were on the Volendam for a 14 night cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong in January. Now, I believe that in the US if you go on a 14 night cruise the demographic is an older one as younger people have only a couple of weeks annual leave per year and so it's mostly the retirees who can swan off for two weeks or more. In Australia, and many other countries, annual leave is at least four weeks and so a two or three week cruise is nothing. On that cruise I would say that most people were aged 40 to 60, with a few older ones (only saw one person in a gopher and one on a zimmer frame) and a few younger one with young kids. We are on the Ryndam out of Dover in August next year and I expect a good spread of ages as it's summer and there should be a lot of Europeans, not just Americans.

We are a similar age to you, 50/60. It's not party central, but that's why we enjoyed it so much. I'm sure you will have a great time.:)

Thanks Beejay4016. We're looking at the Norse Legends itinery on 23/08. :)

We're on Viking Sagas on 2 August, mixing it with some time in London, so very excited about the trip. We loved the cruise this year on HAL and so are really looking forward to that, but we are so used to independent holidays that the time in London pre-cruise is equally exciting for us.

We have three children, late teen to mid twenty. We have found RCI to be the best fit for fun activities and entertainment we can ALL enjoy. We loved HAL, but will only cruise on them when we are a couple, not all five of us. Princess and Celebrity would be my next choice of the mainstream lines with young adults, then HAL. We cruised on Carnival once, and never again!

Europe will be a more active cruise, and so port intensive it may not matter to your son if he has evening activities. Still, considering he will be not have contemporaries in the group, I would consider his needs. I know he will have great memories of this great cruise, whatever you deide.

We have three children, late teen to mid twenty. We have found RCI to be the best fit for fun activities and entertainment we can ALL enjoy. We loved HAL, but will only cruise on them when we are a couple, not all five of us. Princess and Celebrity would be my next choice of the mainstream lines with young adults, then HAL. We cruised on Carnival once, and never again!

Europe will be a more active cruise, and so port intensive it may not matter to your son if he has evening activities. Still, considering he will be not have contemporaries in the group, I would consider his needs. I know he will have great memories of this great cruise, whatever you deide.

Thanks comfortcove :)

We love to cruise--sometimes just the 2 of us, and sometimes with our 2 kids--twice in 2007, when they were 10 (DS), and 8 (DD)--Princess, and Carnival (Christmas); again in Aug 2010 (they were 13 and 11), and soon, on Nov 30, on HAL--so far, they have accompanied us on 2 Caribbean cruises, and, soon, on their second European (Med) cruise.

I always wonder why so many coddle and cater to the younger ones in the family or group.

We have never catered to them when travelling--well, not much, anyway. They come with us, and do what we do, and go where we go. They are old enough now, that we do let them go off on their own sometimes, but that they always represent the family, and must always behave as such.. They are well aware that the alternative is that they stay home---I (we--my DW and I) are travelling anyway--the only question is whether the kids come along with us, or not. I know some may think it harsh, but it's my money, and my cruise--and if the kids come--my rules.

But, nonetheless, they love the ships and the sea, and love trying new and different things in the Main Dining room--they are really looking forward to the Dutch High Tea on the Rotterdam, and they especially love dressing up for formal nights (I know--wierd, huh?). They never really cared for the kids' clubs, but really enjoy the shows and entertainment and activities on the ship. They are reasonably sociable, but also realize that whether they make or find friends on the ship has little bearing on their cruise experience. They love travelling and exploring along with us--museums, churches, archeological sites, shopping, exploring, villages, beaches, the great cities of Europe, the local culture, the local people, et cetera.

I see my role as parent as trying to educate them and to challenge them; in the case of travel and cruising, by exposing them to the joys of travel-- by giving them the opportunity to explore the world. I do not see my role as facilitating trips to European water parks, or to pick a kid-centric cruise line, vacation, or itinerary to suit them. I try to instill in them that travel is a gift--and our time here is short--I think they have figured out that it's a shame to waste precious travel time by doing things they can do at home (video games/hanging out, et cetera)--isn't the point of travel precisely to do things that we can't do at home?

I think that, especially here in North America, we sell our kids short by catering to them, and coddling them. We should give them more credit than that...and they might just surprise us by how resourceful, mature, and grownup they can be...given half a chance.

To the OP--personally, I think your 15-year old will love a European Cruise, and Holland America will be a fine way to go.

You'll have a great time!

We love to cruise--sometimes just the 2 of us, and sometimes with our 2 kids--twice in 2007, when they were 10 (DS), and 8 (DD)--Princess, and Carnival (Christmas); again in Aug 2010 (they were 13 and 11), and soon, on Nov 30, on HAL--so far, they have accompanied us on 2 Caribbean cruises, and, soon, on their second European (Med) cruise.

I always wonder why so many coddle and cater to the younger ones in the family or group.

We have never catered to them when travelling--well, not much, anyway. They come with us, and do what we do, and go where we go. They are old enough now, that we do let them go off on their own sometimes, but that they always represent the family, and must always behave as such.. They are well aware that the alternative is that they stay home---I (we--my DW and I) are travelling anyway--the only question is whether the kids come along with us, or not. I know some may think it harsh, but it's my money, and my cruise--and if the kids come--my rules.

But, nonetheless, they love the ships and the sea, and love trying new and different things in the Main Dining room--they are really looking forward to the Dutch High Tea on the Rotterdam, and they especially love dressing up for formal nights (I know--wierd, huh?). They never really cared for the kids' clubs, but really enjoy the shows and entertainment and activities on the ship. They are reasonably sociable, but also realize that whether they make or find friends on the ship has little bearing on their cruise experience. They love travelling and exploring along with us--museums, churches, archeological sites, shopping, exploring, villages, beaches, the great cities of Europe, the local culture, the local people, et cetera.

I see my role as parent as trying to educate them and to challenge them; in the case of travel and cruising, by exposing them to the joys of travel-- by giving them the opportunity to explore the world. I do not see my role as facilitating trips to European water parks, or to pick a kid-centric cruise line, vacation, or itinerary to suit them. I try to instill in them that travel is a gift--and our time here is short--I think they have figured out that it's a shame to waste precious travel time by doing things they can do at home (video games/hanging out, et cetera)--isn't the point of travel precisely to do things that we can't do at home?

I think that, especially here in North America, we sell our kids short by catering to them, and coddling them. We should give them more credit than that...and they might just surprise us by how resourceful, mature, and grownup they can be...given half a chance.

To the OP--personally, I think your 15-year old will love a European Cruise, and Holland America will be a fine way to go.

You'll have a great time!

One of those times when I wish there was a "like" button. Well done, you.

Thank you to everyone for your comments. Booked yesterday to go on the MS Ryndam next August :)

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

Have a wonderful time. For us it was a toss up between Viking Sagas and Norse Legends. We went with Viking Sagas but I'm sure they will both be fantastic cruises, and am sure you will enjoy the ambience on HAL.:)