Bit of a Blog – Adventure of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic – 4th November 2013

(I started writing this before I posted my ‘heads up’ thread. Apologies for being repetitive.)

It’s not been THAT long but here I go again. I booked this cruise precisely 6 weeks ago…. I was idly looking to see what RCCL cruises left out of Southampton and fell across a crazy price for a solo inside room on the website, which became even more attractive when I contacted a US TA and was offered an even better price with OBC and a senior rate thrown in. It’s costing me more to fly home than the cruise. Enough said. Doing a TA is on my bucket list so that gets ticked off.

Here’s the itinerary.

Itinerary.jpg

Route.jpg

I’m currently sat ready to head out. I live in North London and have a cab booked to pick me up to take me Waterloo Station for the train down to Southampton. I got a very cheap (£10) train ticket; suggested by someone on the roll call; I booked through megabus.com and it automatically books the train…. at less than a 1/3 of what it costs through National Rail! Being a senior I have free travel within London on London Transport and could have gone to Waterloo under my own steam but honestly…. with a case and carryon? I don’t think so! I would need to find an Underground Station with step free access and still need a ride to get to that station (my DD’s don’t live close enough to drop off their ageing mother as she heads off towards water again!! ;) ) …..

All being well the train gets in to Southampton at 11.12am then it’s a short cab ride to the pier!

This cruise has been sold out for a couple of weeks….. there was one RS that was hanging out for ages unwanted….. Many, many years ago my parents would take me on HAL and Cunard to take the trip over to visit my family in the US. Judging by photos and my memory we did this trip at least 3 times. But my recollection is of a shorter voyage, I think in ’68 we stopped in Cobh on the way over; Southampton to NY and return….. not sure when flying became affordable but in ’68 my mother had a fear of flying so we sailed over…. She went back by ship with my sister but I stayed on and went with my grandmother to California and flew back from there. Summer of 1968. San Francisco. Happy days ;)

LINDA!!!!!!

Drop the cruise description and cut straight to the heart of the matter: Vouchers for "happy hour" for CL and DL.

Please. :D :D :D

Do you ever sleep woman? I'll see what I can find out BUT..... I turn D 3 days in so personal experience won't be evident.... ;)

Do you ever sleep woman? I'll see what I can find out BUT..... I turn D 3 days in so personal experience won't be evident.... ;)

I had no idea that you were not Diamond yet! Could have fooled me! ;)

No work tomorrow. I can stay up as late as I want.

(I have actually retired, but I've been subbing last week and most of this week)

And you can also find out by asking around! C'mon, we know you can do it!

:D

Really looking forward to your blog - we are on IOS Nov 2014 for our first TA although it will be our 8th cruise with RCI. It's a slightly different route but I'm keen to hear your thoughts on sea days, menus etc as I've convinced a lot of family members to join in for their first cruise!

Have a great time!

Linda.....Have a FABULOUS cruise! 2 years ago at this exact time we were on our Liberty TA. It was a blast and your's will be too!! Will be arm-chair traveling right along with you:)

You mentioned that you turn D 3 days in. Officially, you cannot have your status changed until AFTER the cruise is completed, however, it has been reported on the boards that some folks have been lucky in having their status updated mid-cruise. If the LA refuses to do it (which is what happened to me,) then ask the Guest Services manager. Please report back and let us know. Have fun!!

Edited by KeywestK

Wow....how cool on the pricing. I also thought you were D (or even higher). Congrats on making it this trip!

If possible, can you find out if they serve a special breakfast in Portofinos for suite guests. We have one couple in our group that will be in a GS one week in Dec. I know so e ships do this but do not know if AD is one or not.

Wow....how cool on the pricing. I also thought you were D (or even higher). Congrats on making it this trip!

If possible, can you find out if they serve a special breakfast in Portofinos for suite guests. We have one couple in our group that will be in a GS one week in Dec. I know so e ships do this but do not know if AD is one or not.

They sure do serve breakfast in Portofino for suite and Pinnacle members and very good it is too.

Be interesting to see what you make of Captain Henrik Sorenson, best captain ever for us.

Hope you get to hear his crowing cockerill early one morning.

We had dinner with him in September and it was a blast and you may wonder why.

Well he took a few of us to Johnny Rockets...fab,we even got him up dancing.

The first for a RCI captain i am sure.

A lovely guy and a great laugh.

You also have a geat cruise director in Drew but his current side kick Cuddy is a huge fav of ours too, a blast from the past.

You will have a tremendous cruise of that I am sure, not forgetting your double solo points.

Oh forgot to say if anyone can help with your upcoming D than Julio the LA is the man to do it.

Quick update.

Beatles music. Must be on board!

Cab / train / taxi (£5) / check in a doddle. Lunch. Room ready. Coupon booklet (version 17) lol. Kettle.

Pink feathers being strewn randomly. Already CC people find me! Sun is out. Very odd being able to post from mobile on board.... Making the most of that. Pity can't upload pics here.

Unofficial CC meet at 3pm. Muster 345pm. Sailaway 430.

Glenn Miller being played now.

Happy bunny.

From my mobile so apologies for predictive text

Quick update.

Cab / train / taxi (£5) / check in a doddle. Lunch. Room ready. Coupon booklet (version 17) lol. Kettle.

Pink feathers being strewn randomly. Already CC people find me! Sun is out. Very odd being able to post from mobile on board.... Making the most of that. Pity can't upload pics here.

Happy bunny.

Bon Voyage!!!!!!

Quick update.

Happy bunny.

And breathe...:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk