Naughty room visit for a Power Strip on the Oasis

Just returned last Saturday and wanted to post a few comments about something I have never experienced before in my 30+ cruises on Royal Caribbean.

We sailed on the Oasis of the Seas on October 26th, 2013 for the second time in as many years. This is the first time on any Royal Caribbean cruise that I have had to visit the naughty room to collect my bag. Imagine my surprise when I get to the naughty room only to find my bag with a note on it saying "Power Surge". The only reason it was flagged was my power strip. I have carried a power strip with me on the past 20+ Royal Caribbean cruises and once before on the Oasis.

Upon opening my bag to retrieve the power strip, security noticed my tiny box fan that I bring along as well. They said, you can't have that either. I was shocked. Never before have I heard of a power strip being siezed let alone a fan. I asked "why now" and "is this a new policy" Nobody could answer me, saying they don't want the items to overheat. To which my response was, "but a lady's curling iron/straightner is ok?"

After several minutes of talking with security and them conferring with the Electrician onboard, they brought my strip and fan to my cabin and asked that I not leave it on, when not in the cabin.

I dont' know if this is new policy after the Carnival and RCCL fires or not, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has seen this recent change or knew of anything.

Just returned last Saturday and wanted to post a few comments about something I have never experienced before in my 30+ cruises on Royal Caribbean.

We sailed on the Oasis of the Seas on October 26th, 2013 for the second time in as many years. This is the first time on any Royal Caribbean cruise that I have had to visit the naughty room to collect my bag. Imagine my surprise when I get to the naughty room only to find my bag with a note on it saying "Power Surge". The only reason it was flagged was my power strip. I have carried a power strip with me on the past 20+ Royal Caribbean cruises and once before on the Oasis.

Upon opening my bag to retrieve the power strip, security noticed my tiny box fan that I bring along as well. They said, you can't have that either. I was shocked. Never before have I heard of a power strip being siezed let alone a fan. I asked "why now" and "is this a new policy" Nobody could answer me, saying they don't want the items to overheat. To which my response was, "but a lady's curling iron/straightner is ok?"

After several minutes of talking with security and them conferring with the Electrician onboard, they brought my strip and fan to my cabin and asked that I not leave it on, when not in the cabin.

I dont' know if this is new policy after the Carnival and RCCL fires or not, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone else has seen this recent change or knew of anything.

It's not new. Lots of chatter here on Cruise Critic. Don't be a stranger! ;)

But, but, but... extension cords are common to bring onboard. They're a must-have for power wheelchair users. :eek:

The company line is that if you need one, the Special Needs Department will supply one, presumably one that is UL certified.

I believe it's always been a concern for the cruise lines due to potential fire danger from power cords fraying. But, it's always hit or miss. As a newbie when we didn't know any better, we once brought a small electric coffee pot and an iron and got away with it. I've had friends get their power strips confiscated since then.

I'm going to bring a fan because we can't sleep without the noise. Brought it in the past. If they take it away, they better have one of their own to replace it!!!

.......Er.....I don"t think that an attitude like that will bode well for a pleasant cruise. They do retain the right to off load anyone they wish for almost any reason. Somehow I don't see many people these days arguing with the TSA at airports? Fire at sea is a worse case scenario on any ship so I for one can see a valid reason for strict bans on electrical equipment.

I'm going to bring a fan because we can't sleep without the noise. Brought it in the past. If they take it away, they better have one of their own to replace it!!!

ME TOO! I need my fan! I do bring a sound machine as well, incase they don't let me have my fan. But, I do need the air as well. They need to remember the WOMEN:eek:

FWIW- There's a real small 3 outlet strip that is designed for traveling that you can tuck into a small pocket on a laptop bag and sail right through with your laptop. Assuming of course, you take a laptop. Camera bag would work well too.

ME TOO! I need my fan! I do bring a sound machine as well, incase they don't let me have my fan. But, I do need the air as well. They need to remember the WOMEN:eek:

Turn your AC.? Some people need a fan to sleep and it has nothing to do with temperature

hollon said it; I responded to it.

"Some people" may not care about the temperature. Hollon does. (or are you not female and have no idea what we are talking about?)

They should update the website if they are planning to confiscate Fans & power strips.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Leave&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=330&faqType=faq

s.gif

s.gif

Q:What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship? s.gif A:Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items: * Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas. * Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.) * Illegal Drugs & Substances * Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited. * Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows * Illegal Drugs * Skateboards & Surfboards * Martial Arts Gear * Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks. * Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks. *HAM Radios * Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint. * Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.) s.gif

One of my table companions fried her hair on a cruise. the different electric current from her home made it overheat - not knowing she tried to curl her hair - boy did she do a number - fried her hair in the iorn crisp and had to have her husband help to get it unstuck.

they had to unplug, wrap her hair in a wet facecloth around the iorn and soak it off, she will need a hairdresser to recut and shape when she gets home!

I can remember driving home to make sure I unpluged mine once - at least they turn off now after a time.

Do not know why they put outlets behind furniture/under the bed/only in the light fixture for tall people only - cruise ships and hotels - game of hide and seek the first night!! Oh yeah, have to have the right light switch on too!

Last week after embarking the Enchantment I received the dreaded naughty room letter on the door. I knew right away what they found. So down to deck 1 I go. So here I am standing with the other outcasts waiting my turn. :o

The guy sitting at the desk calls me up and with a puzzled look on his face asked me if I had a "Mixer". I could not help to laugh when he said that. Sure enough the bag said "Mixer" on it. I told him what they saw was my steamer which is allowed. They took it out of the bag and said "It's a steamer" and put it back in the bag. They also appologized for the inconvenience. Very professional. I told them that I guess I won't be mixing my own drinks. At least I got to see how the luggage is brought onto the ship and scanned. And yes they were snatching alot of alcohol.

download a white noise app for your smart phone.

all electronics, to include power strips can be confiscated if there is any doubt they are a potential hazard or are older models

Last week after embarking the Enchantment I received the dreaded naughty room letter on the door. I knew right away what they found. So down to deck 1 I go. So here I am standing with the other outcasts waiting my turn. :o

The guy sitting at the desk calls me up and with a puzzled look on his face asked me if I had a "Mixer". I could not help to laugh when he said that. Sure enough the bag said "Mixer" on it. I told him what they saw was my steamer which is allowed. They took it out of the bag and said "It's a steamer" and put it back in the bag. They also appologized for the inconvenience. Very professional. I told them that I guess I won't be mixing my own drinks. At least I got to see how the luggage is brought onto the ship and scanned. And yes they were snatching alot of alcohol.

Are steamers actually allowed on Royal Caribbean?

I Personally think they have updated their scanners or had a seminar to teach people how to use the scanners.........This was my 11th cruise on Majesty plus other ships and I have always taken (Don't even start!!!!) a travel iron (handle comes off) in my suit case for 30 years cruising.......got caught 1st time last month. They didn't send a note but they also didn't send my luggage which is a tell tell sign at 5PM......so I headed down to "Naughty Room". There was my luggage with a sign on it. "Iron Inside". I don't believe they had been in my luggage but it scanned after all this time. They were very nice and told me to take it out and I could have it after the cruise. I was on a B2B and had to claim it twice. Just bought all new blouses that do not have to be ironed. :-)