False shipboard rumors!!

CruzinCooks

Just wandering if anyone has experienced interesting rumors that turned out to be completely false while cruising. In my case.......

While cruising the en route to Grand Caymon the ship diverted to Cozumel for a medical emergency.

At dinner our table mates informed of us a tragic accident involving a 14 yr friend of their daughters who had suffered massive head wound falling down a flight of stairs. Our hearts sank at the thought of such a tragic accident!

The next day I took my son to the ships infirmary. While there I commented to the physician about the previous diversion and hope the child would make a full recovery.

He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!

A very selfish act, in my opinion, affecting the vacation of so many.

Ok, your turn! Any crazy on board rumors????

On my last cruise, all of the ho tubs were closed. We asked the first time, and they said it was water heating problems, even though they were functioning, but we just closed. They heated the pools and waterslide later that night! another cruiser told us that they needed to dry dock the ship to fix it and something was wrong so huge NO hot tub would work. We heard that they would open by Halifax. After calling the HQ to make sure they would open In few weeks they said it was a minor problem and should have been open -_- They will be open for Thanksgiving thank god..

Just wandering if anyone has experienced interesting rumors that turned out to be completely false while cruising. In my case.......

While cruising the en route to Grand Caymon the ship diverted to Cozumel for a medical emergency.

At dinner our table mates informed of us a tragic accident involving a 14 yr friend of their daughters who had suffered massive head wound falling down a flight of stairs. Our hearts sank at the thought of such a tragic accident!

The next day I took my son to the ships infirmary. While there I commented to the physician about the previous diversion and hope the child would make a full recovery.

He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!

Hope the poor man is OK. I'm sure he truly didn't wish to develop complications. Very happy to hear that a child was not injured.

Seems like every cruise I've been on someone says at the buffet there is a norovirus outbreak on the ship. And then the ones who swear that the ship is haunted and their great aunt's next door neighbor saw a ghost on the ship just last year. I have also heard that cabin 9562 (some say it is a different cabin) on the Norwegian Dawn is haunted by a woman who went overboard. The Norwegian Spirit is supposed to be haunted by an Asian woman who committed suicide in the days when the Spirit was the Superstar Leo.

Always rumors!

Our first cruise was Sept. 10 2001 A.K.A. 9-11 . It was a sea day so I stayed by the T.V. in the room while D.W. was coming back and forth with every wacky rumor she heard on board. Some of them were so off the wall I would not ever repeat them . I have also heard rumors on other ships but I almost always sniff them out as such.

Totally unprofessional for the physician to tell you what he did. Wrong of you to ask a medical professional about a patient in the first place by the way, but you may not have known that but the doctor most certainly would know that he can not comment on a patient to a random guest. Perhaps the doctor was the one spreading the rumor. More professional to make up a pretend story than to talk about the poor girl IMO.

As long as the doctor didn't mention the patients name, there is nothing wrong with him telling about what happened. Patient confidentiality means nothing if you don't know the patient's name.

So you are telling me if your teenager had a drunk driving accident and you heard your sons doctor speaking to another patients family member about your son even without mentioning his name that this is not a breach of patient confidentiality. Ask your doctor if he thinks his governing body would think this way.

Remember this is the treating doctor speaking about a specific patient.

Edited by Karysa

So you are telling me if your teenager had a drunk driving accident and you heard your sons doctor speaking to another patients family member about your son even without mentioning his name that this is not a breach of patient confidentiality. Ask your doctor if he thinks his governing body would think this way.

Where in the world do you come up with some of these idea's??? Patient confidentiality has nothing to do with generic discussions about accidents. All of the medical folks I associate with always talk about interesting cases with each other and in general. Discussing an issue without a name or persons location being mentioned is no breach!!!!

Where in the world do you come up with some of these idea's??? Patient confidentiality has nothing to do with generic discussions about accidents. All of the medical folks I associate with always talk about interesting cases with each other and in general. Discussing an issue without a name or persons location being mentioned is no breach!!!!

Persons location. The blank of the Seas. This cruise. Teenage girl. Massive head injury. Evacuated mid cruise.

Pretty specific location and details.

There is nothing generic about this patient when you are talking to a passenger on the same ship.

So glad to hear that you are not a physician.

Edited by Karysa

Persons location. The blank of the Seas. This cruise. Teenage girl. Massive head injury. Evacuated mid cruise.

Pretty specific location and details.

There is nothing generic about this patient when you are talking to a passenger on the same ship.

So glad to hear that you are not a physician.

Huh? Where did you get this about the doctor talking about a teenage girl with a massive head injury. I quote from the OP's original post: "He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!" No mention of a teenage girl there. And no mention of the ship's name, either.

Shaking my head in disbelief!

Edited by swsfrail

Huh? Where did you get this about the doctor talking about a teenage girl with a massive head injury. I quote from the OP's original post: "He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!" No mention of a teenage girl there. And no mention of the ship's name, either.

Shaking my head in disbelief!

It's hypothetical. Retread the original post though.:)

Some completely false rumors that I heard about on a ship was about an incident that I was involved in, so I straightened out as many passengers as possible afterwards with the truth.

About 96 of us were on a tender heading from Bar Harbor, Maine back to the Celebrity Summit when it crashed into some rocks.

The rumor, which was circulated by the cruise director (who might have been told to say this by the captain) was that no one on the tender was injured.

This was not true. A number of people were badly injured.

A ship's officer circulated the rumor that the ship's doctor had asked every single person as they got back to the ship if they were need of medical assistance, and said that every single person said no. This was not true. A number of people were treated immediately by the ship's doctor and nurse, and only 2 of the approx. 96 people were actually asked if they were in need of medical assistance.

The Coast Guard investigated the accident apparently without talking to any of the passengers who were on the tender, and issued the rumor (as seen in online newspaper articles) that everyone was back on the ship within 20 minutes. That was not true - it took 45 minutes to get everyone back on the ship.

The captain tried to circulate the rumor that there were enough lifejackets on the tender for everyone. That was not true. He also tried to circulate the rumor that the guys running the tender aided the passengers. That was not true. They didn't do a thing. Some passengers took charge of handing out lifejackets until they ran out. He also tried to circulate the rumor that the guy who piloted the tender did so carefully. According to passengers who were able to see him, he did so recklessly.

Some completely false rumors that I heard about on a ship was about an incident that I was involved in, so I straightened out as many passengers as possible afterwards with the truth.

About 96 of us were on a tender heading from Bar Harbor, Maine back to the Celebrity Summit when it crashed into some rocks.

The rumor, which was circulated by the cruise director (who might have been told to say this by the captain) was that no one on the tender was injured.

A ship's officer circulated the rumor that the ship's doctor had asked every single person as they got back to the ship if they were need of medical assistance, and said that every single person said no. This was not true. A number of people were treated immediately by the ship's doctor and nurse, and only 2 of the approx. 96 people were actually asked if they were in need of medical assistance.

The Coast Guard investigated the accident apparently without talking to any of the passengers who were on the tender, and issued the rumor (as seen in online newspaper articles) that everyone was back on the ship within 20 minutes. That was not true - it took 45 minutes to get everyone back on the ship.

The captain tried to circulate the rumor that there were enough lifejackets on the tender for everyone. That was not true. He also tried to circulate the rumor that the guys running the tender aided the passengers. That was not true. They didn't do a thing. Some passengers took charge of handing out lifejackets until they ran out. He also tried to circulate the rumor that the guy who piloted the tender did so carefully. According to passengers who were able to see him, he did so recklessly.

Still trying to stir the pot even more, I see. I remember the post you made in October a year ago where you bluntly said, and I quote: "We hate Celebrity" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35921708&postcount=12 It appears that you hate Celebrity so much that you continue to post information that is not only incorrect, but highly exaggerated, all to further your "Hate" campaign towards Celebrity. I also remember the several posts you made spreading these same tender accident inaccuracies around that same time. Funny, but the title of that thread was something about complaining, and you certainly fit right in.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, almost everything you claim about that incident has been discounted. Wow! What a conspiracy you are claiming, with everybody but you complicit - the Coast Guard, the doctor, the captain, the crew, even some of the passengers. Are the local fishermen, nearby scuba divers, passing mermaids, also part of this conspiracy?

Why do I care? It's because I don't appreciate lies being told to push a personal agenda on forums that people come to to learn and make informed decisions.

Talk about spreading false shipboard rumors!!! :eek:

Edited by SantaFeFan

Still trying to stir the pot even more, I see. I remember the post you made in October a year ago where you bluntly said, and I quote: "We hate Celebrity" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35921708&postcount=12 It appears that you hate Celebrity so much that you continue to post information that is not only incorrect, but highly exaggerated, all to further your "Hate" campaign towards Celebrity. I also remember the several posts you made spreading these same tender accident inaccuracies around that same time. Funny, but the title of that thread was something about complaining, and you certainly fit right in.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, almost everything you claim about that incident has been discounted.

Why do I care? It's because I don't appreciate lies being told to push a personal agenda on forums that people come to to learn and make informed decisions.

Talk about spreading false shipboard rumors!!! :eek:

Either of you care to elaborate further?

Either of you care to elaborate further?

Just do a search on past posts by vacation luvver and you will see a definite pattern of bashing, exaggerations, and perhaps even lies, all to support this obsessed hatred of Celebrity. When I log onto Cruise Critic, I am looking for facts and well thought out opinions, not a hate campaign by someone with a grudge.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Last year, I was on a 14 day B2B cruise on HAL's Nieuws Amsterdam. We sat in the Stageroom and when the ship's alarm sounded. Within seconds, the captain himself came onto the PA and announced there was a cabin on fire. The entire deck was no-go zone for guests for a couple of hours.

There were some people telling somebody lit the bed on purpose. Turned out to be a faulty electric wire in the AC.

SantaFeFan, I'm really sorry you think that I was lying or exaggerating about what happened when the tender crashed into the rocks, because I can assure you that I wasn't lying or exaggerating, although I admit that I can't actually prove it to you. However, you can't actually prove that I was lying or exaggerating.

I know that someone else who was on that tender wrote a review and mentioned that there weren't enough lifejackets for everyone. Was that person lying, too?

I was at the meeting with the captain held the following day, and it was there that I heard a woman say that there weren't enough lifejackets for everyone. And I heard people say that they had sought medical aid from the doctor and nurse as soon as they got on board, right after the ship's officer claimed that each and every one of us had been asked if we needed medical assistance, and everyone said no.

If all I told was lies, then why were my travelling companion and I offered enough cruise credit to take a cruise to Bermuda? Celebrity made a mistake in not offering us anything while we were still on the ship. Any time someone mentioned the tender that smashed into the rocks, I said that I was on that tender. When I was asked if Celebrity had asked me to sign anything, I said no. When I was asked what they offered, I said that they didn't offer even one penny.

But a few days after we got home, Celebrity called me, and I told the rep exactly what I said before (about the tender guys not doing a thing, it taking 45 minutes to get back onto the ship, there weren't enough lifejackets, we were not asked if we needed medical assistance, even though people immediately went to the doctor and nurse, etc.), and she offered me and my friend enough cruise credit for a free cruise to Bermuda. Why would Celebrity offer that if they thought my story was a bunch of lies?

I even told the rep that I was sorry that they hadn't made an offer while we were on the ship, so that when people asked what we were getting, I wouldn't have had to say not even one penny.

Again, I'm sorry that you think that I was lying, but I can assure that I am not. And I'm trying to be fair by saying that we were given a free cruise to Bermuda. If I really wanted to lie, I would say that they never gave us a penny. but I'm not saying that.

SantaFeFan, I'm really sorry you think that I was lying or exaggerating about what happened when the tender crashed into the rocks, because I can assure you that I wasn't lying or exaggerating, although I admit that I can't actually prove it to you. However, you can't actually prove that I was lying or exaggerating.

I know that someone else who was on that tender wrote a review and mentioned that there weren't enough lifejackets for everyone. Was that person lying, too?

I was at the meeting with the captain held the following day, and it was there that I heard a woman say that there weren't enough lifejackets for everyone. And I heard people say that they had sought medical aid from the doctor and nurse as soon as they got on board, right after the ship's officer claimed that each and every one of us had been asked if we needed medical assistance, and everyone said no.

If all I told was lies, then why were my travelling companion and I offered enough cruise credit to take a cruise to Bermuda? Celebrity made a mistake in not offering us anything while we were still on the ship. Any time someone mentioned the tender that smashed into the rocks, I said that I was on that tender. When I was asked if Celebrity had asked me to sign anything, I said no. When I was asked what they offered, I said that they didn't offer even one penny.

But a few days after we got home, Celebrity called me, and I told the rep exactly what I said before (about the tender guys not doing a thing, it taking 45 minutes to get back onto the ship, there weren't enough lifejackets, we were not asked if we needed medical assistance, even though people immediately went to the doctor and nurse, etc.), and she offered me and my friend enough cruise credit for a free cruise to Bermuda. Why would Celebrity offer that if they thought my story was a bunch of lies?

I even told the rep that I was sorry that they hadn't made an offer while we were on the ship, so that when people asked what we were getting, I wouldn't have had to say not even one penny.

Again, I'm sorry that you think that I was lying, but I can assure that I am not. And I'm trying to be fair by saying that we were given a free cruise to Bermuda. If I really wanted to lie, I would say that they never gave us a penny. but I'm not saying that.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that the Coast Guard, the captain, the doctor, "a ship's officer", all were lying, as you are claiming. I've read every report I can find, from news media sources, to the Bar Harbor committee put in place to install safeguards to prevent a repeat of the incident, and even one by a maritime law firm that is anything but cruise company friendly, and every one of them provides information that conflicts with yours. All of them, even the law firm, state that the incident was over in 20 minutes, that no one was injured, that a local excursion boat off loaded and transferred many of the passengers to the Summit before the Coast Guard arrived, and that the tender was floated off an hour later when the tide started coming back in and was in good enough condition that it motored back to the ship on it's own power.

I will admit that I was not there - you were. But, if what you describe was indeed factual, then some penalty would have been placed on the cruise line, the Coast Guard would not have let the ship leave, people involved would have been reprimanded, and somewhere these results would have been reported. Much of what you report is the "I heard someone say" variety. That is hardly something that would stand up to close scrutiny. And as to that "someone else wrote a review" statement - how do we know that wasn't your roommate working with you to tell the same story to use as leverage to gain some profit out of this?

Unfortunately, there are too many inconsistencies between your report and the many other reports on the incident. And, there is that hatred for Celebrity that you seem to have. That alone could easily sway your comments towards the outrageous and revengeful. Your very lengthy posts last year about the incident and your disappointment in the cruise sure read like a vendetta to my eyes.

All of which convinces me that your report is indeed exaggerated. As for the company rep offering you enough cruise credit for a free cruise, it would make sense that they would offer it to you just to get you to stop bothering them.

If it smells fishy, it always is. I just don't like people telling us stories that aren't true. Such embellished stories make it harder for the rest of us to research the cruise lines and cruises we may be interested in.

Edited by SantaFeFan

On our cruise last month we were delayed in heraklion due to a medical emergency. This was the second emergency that week but somehow I rumour was circulating that we had lost one passenger per port since the ship started out in Barcelona a fortnight before! now i know the HAL clientele weren't the youngest of cruisers but really !!!

According to the news reports and some web sites there were no injuries....

http://fenceviewer.com/site/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=77336:passenger-recounts-cruise-ship-tender-accident&Itemid=938

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Events_by_Celebrity.html

Scroll down to the date in Oct of 2012 on cruise junky site. Cruise junky is an excellent site for information on cruise ship incidents.

I also searched the US Coast Guard investigative site and came up negative.

Not a breach. Get a name and you might have something. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm sorry you don't believe me. When I said that I heard people say this and that (about being injured, about there not being a lifejacket for them, etc.), it was because I heard them say that at the meeting we had with the captain and the ship's officer.

As for the company rep offering you enough cruise credit for a free cruise, it would make sense that they would offer it to you just to get you to stop bothering them.

That is completely not true, because I never bothered them. They were the ones who called me a few days after we got home to find out my side of the story, and they were the ones who called me the day after I gave them my side of the story to give me (and my travelling companion) the equivalent of a free cruise to Bermuda. I would like to know how you think I was bothering them, because I didn't contact them after the cruise - they contacted me.

And I wasn't the only one they gave cruise credit to. Someone else posted that she (I believe the poster was a woman0 was on that tender, and she was given cruise credit. Are you going to say that it was because she bothered them, too? I'm willing to believe that everyone on that tender was given cruise credit.

I have no complaints with being offered cruise credit, although if we had been given cash, we would not have sailed with Celebrity again, and we wouldn't have had the opportunity to tell everyone that the only reason we were on the ship was because Celebrity had really screwed up big-time on our previous cruise.

And, as I said, I wish Celebrity had said something to us at the captain's meeting that we would be getting compensation, but they didn't say a word, and I didn't say anything about how we should get compensation. Maybe if I had, you would have said that I was bothering them. Well, I didn't say a word. But when other passengers asked me if they offered any compensation, I said that they didn't say anything about giving us even one penny. Because they didn't. So I didn't expect them to offer anything, and I was very surprised after I got home when they wanted to know my version of what happened, and they gave me cruise credit. It was just too late to tell the other passengers that they did make good after all. Instead, I had to tell them the truth at the time, that they hadn't offered to give us even one penny.

Besides that woman who said that she was given cruise credit, someone else (I think it was a man) wrote a review of the cruise and said he was on the tender that crashed, and he said that there weren't enough lifejackets for everyone.

I wish I could prove that there were two rescue boats, not one, and the second one got us back to the ship after 45 minutes, because it's the truth. I also wish the Coast Guard had spoken with people who were on the tender. I remember what happened, and so does my travelling companion, but I don't know how we can prove that what we remember (that it took 45 minutes to get back to the ship, that people immediately went to the doctor and nurse, that we were not asked if we needed medical attention, that there weren't enough lifejackets, that the tender driver just ran around in circles and did nothing to help the passengers, that it was a few passengers who took charge and distributed lifejackets, etc.) took place.

Well, I'm sorry you don't believe me. When I said that I heard people say this and that (about being injured, about there not being a lifejacket for them, etc.), it was because I heard them say that at the meeting we had with the captain and the ship's officer.

That is completely not true, because I never bothered them. They were the ones who called me a few days after we got home to find out my side of the story, and they were the ones who called me the day after I gave them my side of the story to give me (and my travelling companion) the equivalent of a free cruise to Bermuda. I would like to know how you think I was bothering them, because I didn't contact them after the cruise - they contacted me.

And I wasn't the only one they gave cruise credit to. Someone else posted that she (I believe the poster was a woman0 was on that tender, and she was given cruise credit. Are you going to say that it was because she bothered them, too? I'm willing to believe that everyone on that tender was given cruise credit.

I have no complaints with being offered cruise credit, although if we had been given cash, we would not have sailed with Celebrity again, and we wouldn't have had the opportunity to tell everyone that the only reason we were on the ship was because Celebrity had really screwed up big-time on our previous cruise.

And, as I said, I wish Celebrity had said something to us at the captain's meeting that we would be getting compensation, but they didn't say a word, and I didn't say anything about how we should get compensation. Maybe if I had, you would have said that I was bothering them. Well, I didn't say a word. But when other passengers asked me if they offered any compensation, I said that they didn't say anything about giving us even one penny. Because they didn't. So I didn't expect them to offer anything, and I was very surprised after I got home when they wanted to know my version of what happened, and they gave me cruise credit. It was just too late to tell the other passengers that they did make good after all. Instead, I had to tell them the truth at the time, that they hadn't offered to give us even one penny.

Besides that woman who said that she was given cruise credit, someone else (I think it was a man) wrote a review of the cruise and said he was on the tender that crashed, and he said that there weren't enough lifejackets for everyone.

I wish I could prove that there were two rescue boats, not one, and the second one got us back to the ship after 45 minutes, because it's the truth. I also wish the Coast Guard had spoken with people who were on the tender. I remember what happened, and so does my travelling companion, but I don't know how we can prove that what we remember (that it took 45 minutes to get back to the ship, that people immediately went to the doctor and nurse, that we were not asked if we needed medical attention, that there weren't enough lifejackets, that the tender driver just ran around in circles and did nothing to help the passengers, that it was a few passengers who took charge and distributed lifejackets, etc.) took place.

Sorry, but I am another reader who doubts this story. You may have convinced yourself that this is what happened, but much of it does not make sense, and reports don't support your version. In every post you show your strong bias against Celebrity, which is probably clouding your recollection of the facts. When reading your posts and the things you continue to claim, that you are severely biased against Celebrity is the only thing I can believe.

Just the one statement that there weren't enough life jackets is enough for me. Knowing how serious the US Coast Guard is about safety (I have been teaching sailing and boating safety for over twenty years), the ship's permit to operate in US waters would have been instantly revoked and that would have been the end of the cruise. THAT is a non-negotiable requirement, making your entire series of claims suspect.