False shipboard rumors!!

CruzinCooks

But what I found most interesting about this post was the OP's comment about the person who became ill "A very selfish act, in my opinion, affecting the vacation of so many."

It wasn't that the passenger became ill that made it "a very selfish act", but the fact that he traveled only three days after a surgery, and without being cleared by his doctor to travel. That is what made his actions very selfish indeed. He not only affected the cruise for thousands of other passengers, but put himself at great risk, just so HE wouldn't miss his cruise. Seems more than a bit selfish to me.

Edited by fortinweb

Off to the hospital by a captain of the ship and not a doctor. I can see that.

The onboard treating physician telling a passenger on the same ship that the reason for the ship to divert was because the patient that was medically evacuated had undergone surgery 3 days before the ship sailed and had boarded against the advice of his doctor. I can not see that. Doctors shouldn't gossip. It is a breach of patient confidentiality and unprofessional.

You may live with a physician, and I don't know if you work with them daily, but surgeons/anesthesiologists have very, lets say different, personalities. If anyone on here is one, I apologize. But I totally agree, they should not gossip. Just say "fibromyalgia" to one of them and see what happens.

It wasn't that the passenger became ill that made it "a very selfish act", but the fact that he traveled only three days after a surgery, and without being cleared by his doctor to travel. That is what made his actions very selfish indeed. He not only affected the cruise for thousands of other passengers, but put himself at great risk, just so HE wouldn't miss his cruise. Seems more than a bit selfish to me.

I understand what you are saying, but there's a part of me that holds some sympathy for him. Silly to take the trip and put himself at such risk. My nice side thinks he had no idea the impact his decision would have.

Doesn't it really depend on what kind of surgery he had? Maybe it was very minor? Maybe it didn't really require a clearance by the doctor? An unexpected complication that no one could have expected? How about unexpected excess bleeding from a hemorrhoid removal? I don't know if I would consider this selfish.

I understand what you are saying, but there's a part of me that holds some sympathy for him. Silly to take the trip and put himself at such risk. My nice side thinks he had no idea the impact his decision would have.

But his personal doctor did by not clearing him to travel, and the patient ignored that. I can't in good conscience give him a pass on his poor judgement when the experienced person who performed his surgery was ignored.

Doesn't it really depend on what kind of surgery he had? Maybe it was very minor? Maybe it didn't really require a clearance by the doctor? An unexpected complication that no one could have expected? How about unexpected excess bleeding from a hemorrhoid removal? I don't know if I would consider this selfish.

So, we have two doctors involved. One that didn't clear the patient - which apparently isn't an important detail to you - and another who mentioned that the patient told him he wasn't cleared to travel. Clearly, this is a case of two doctors guilty of extreme quackery and the patient is totally innocent. :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

You may live with a physician, and I don't know if you work with them daily, but surgeons/anesthesiologists have very, lets say different, personalities. If anyone on here is one, I apologize. But I totally agree, they should not gossip. Just say "fibromyalgia" to one of them and see what happens.

I DO live with a physician. Half time anyways ;):eek:

And funny about what you mentioned I was a PACU nurse for several years.:)

Patients in the PACU even asked about other patients, and yes even though they probably wouldn't remember anyway, their questions went unanswered.

Edited by Karysa

But his personal doctor did by not clearing him to travel, and the patient ignored that. I can't in good conscience give him a pass on his poor judgement when the experienced person who performed his surgery was ignored.

So, we have two doctors involved. One that didn't clear the patient - which apparently isn't an important detail to you - and another who mentioned that the patient told him he wasn't cleared to travel. Clearly, this is a case of two doctors guilty of extreme quackery and the patient is totally innocent. :rolleyes:

Some people on these boards apparently seem to have the attitude that no one should ever take responsibility for their own actions. Always blame it on someone else. In this case, the personal doctor or the ship doctor - take your pick. But NEVER blame the person making the poor decision. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

I would have a nice big bill if that happened to me. My travel insurance does not cover any pre-existing medical condition that required seeing a doctor during the last 3 months.

My guess is that if this is a true story, this patient did not have trip cancellation insurance.

I hate tendering so a berth in Cozumel would trump tendering in GC.:D

Some people on these boards apparently seem to have the attitude that no one should ever take responsibility for their own actions. Always blame it on someone else. In this case, the personal doctor or the ship doctor - take your pick. But NEVER blame the person making the poor decision. :rolleyes:

I would blame the patient and the ships doctor if this is a true story. Sometimes more than one person is at fault. Oh ya, the OP should not have asked the ships doctor about the rumor about the girl's onboard accident in the first place. See, I am an equal opportunity blamer.:D

I DO live with a physician. Half time anyways ;):eek:

And funny about what you mentioned I was a PACU nurse for several years.:)

Patients in the PACU even asked about other patients, and yes even though they probably wouldn't remember anyway, their questions went unanswered.

I'm a PACU nurse too, 21 years! Makes sense now how we can argue anything! :D

NOT QUITE! Did his doc tell him that he couldn't/shouldn't go? If so, I'm sorry, I must have missed it! Certainly should not have gone if doc said not to! But if it was a minor surgery, maybe he didn't think of asking. That's all I was saying.

My DH just underwent unexpected hand surgery one week before our September cruise and we asked his doc if he could still go. His doc said"yes, why not". I asked him for a note to just tell the airline/cruise line he could travel and that he could not take off his splint for the airport security. The doc, being the smarta-- he can be, said he won't need a note. I asked him twice, no note. I told my DH to be ready to be left behind because if there were any problem, I was going without him!

NOT QUITE! Did his doc tell him that he couldn't/shouldn't go? If so, I'm sorry, I must have missed it! Certainly should not have gone if doc said not to! But if it was a minor surgery, maybe he didn't think of asking. That's all I was saying.

Here is what the OP wrote in post #1: "He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!"

What part of "He was not cleared...." is so confusing? In this case, if true, apparently the patient told the ship doctor that his own doctor did not clear him, most likely because that doctor didn't think he was ready to travel. Then the patient traveled anyway against his doctor's recommendations. Who do you think was ultimately right and who was wrong? Who should take all of the blame?

Edited by boogs

Here is what the OP wrote: "He informed me that the diversion was due to an adult passenger who had undergone a surgery three days before the cruise and developed complications! He was not cleared by his Doctors to cruise but came anyway!"

What part of "He was not cleared...." is so confusing?

The part that does not say if he specifically was "not cleared" or did he just not bother to "get clearance to go". These are different things. Clear? In other words, did his doc specifically tell him not to go?

I'm not into blaming...

Edited by Steve and Sharon

The part that does not say if he specifically was "not cleared" or did he just not bother to "get clearance to go". These are different things. Clear? In other words, did his doc specifically tell him not to go?

I'm not into blaming...

Haha are you sure that you are a PACU nurse and not a Lawyer.:D. Mincing words here IMHO.

Clearly if his doctor would have cleared him I would have to add him to the list of people to share in the blame. :) ( or her if she's a woman)

Edited by Karysa

Ok...I came here to read some amusing stories of different rumors heard while at sea...

instead I got a bunch of argumentative, petty, children arguing...

Thanks, posters, for ruining what could have been a great amusing thread :(

Ok...I came here to read some amusing stories of different rumors heard while at sea...

instead I got a bunch of argumentative, petty, children arguing...

Thanks, posters, for ruining what could have been a great amusing thread :(

No kidding. But at least now we all know what goes on with doctors and nurses. :rolleyes: Apparently can't trust any of them.

I'm not sure if these count as rumors or as someone being misinformed.

1) I've talked to passengers who were unaware that meals in the MDR were included. They always ate at the buffet. A couple of times, the conversations took place on the ship, so the passengers were able to eat in the MDR afterwards. One time, the conversation took place afterwards, so the passengers never ate in the MDR, because they thought they would be charged extra for it, and they did not want to pay.

2) A woman I know took an NCL cruise to Alaska, and she told me afterwards that only passengers in very expensive cabins were allowed to eat breakfast in the MDR, so she was forced to eat breakfast at the buffet everyday. I tried telling her that that didn't sound right, but she insisted that she was correct, and I hadn't been on the cruise with her so I couldn't tell her with certainty that she was wrong, and I didn't want to start a fight, so I agreed with her.

What I figured happened was that one morning, she attempted to go into Cagney's for breakfast, and someone working there told her that she couldn't, and she should go to the buffet.

But now she goes around telling people that if you aren't in a very expensive cabin on NCL, you can't eat breakfast in the MDR (which is totally not true).

3) My cousin told me that on her cruise, if you wanted coffee at dinner-time, you had to pay extra. That didn't sound right, but I've never been on that cruiseline, so I wasn't going to tell her that she was wrong. But since then, on another cruiseline, I noticed that on the dessert menu, it's written how much a cup of cappaccino, espresso, etc. will cost, and it's not specifically said that you can get a cup of plain old coffee at no extra charge, so maybe that's why she thought that coffee after dinner is not included.

4) I've gone on a number of cruises with a singles group that isn't around nowadays. The hosts and hostesses would always tell us to fill out the survey and rate everything with the highest grade. They said that, for example, if we didn't give the food the highest grade, it would count as a black mark against our waiter, and if he was given a certain number of black marks, he would be fired and sent home. They also said that not turning in our survey counted as giving him a black mark. I always told the hosts and hostesses that I liked the food, but if I hadn't, it wouldn't have had anything to do with the waiter. They still insisted that not liking the food would have penalized the waiter.

Eventually I wrote a letter to the cruiseline and asked if this was true. I was sent a letter saying that it was completely false. So the next time I went on a cruise, and the hostess started to tell us how to fill out the survey, I told her that we could write whatever we wanted, or even not fill out the survey, and it would not get the waiter fired. She said, "Oh, I'm so glad they changed the way they do things."

I'm not sure if these count as rumors or as someone being misinformed.

1) I've talked to passengers who were unaware that meals in the MDR were included. They always ate at the buffet. A couple of times, the conversations took place on the ship, so the passengers were able to eat in the MDR afterwards. One time, the conversation took place afterwards, so the passengers never ate in the MDR, because they thought they would be charged extra for it, and they did not want to pay.

2) A woman I know took an NCL cruise to Alaska, and she told me afterwards that only passengers in very expensive cabins were allowed to eat breakfast in the MDR, so she was forced to eat breakfast at the buffet everyday. I tried telling her that that didn't sound right, but she insisted that she was correct, and I hadn't been on the cruise with her so I couldn't tell her with certainty that she was wrong, and I didn't want to start a fight, so I agreed with her.

What I figured happened was that one morning, she attempted to go into Cagney's for breakfast, and someone working there told her that she couldn't, and she should go to the buffet.

But now she goes around telling people that if you aren't in a very expensive cabin on NCL, you can't eat breakfast in the MDR (which is totally not true).

3) My cousin told me that on her cruise, if you wanted coffee at dinner-time, you had to pay extra. That didn't sound right, but I've never been on that cruiseline, so I wasn't going to tell her that she was wrong. But since then, on another cruiseline, I noticed that on the dessert menu, it's written how much a cup of cappaccino, espresso, etc. will cost, and it's not specifically said that you can get a cup of plain old coffee at no extra charge, so maybe that's why she thought that coffee after dinner is not included.

4) I've gone on a number of cruises with a singles group that isn't around nowadays. The hosts and hostesses would always tell us to fill out the survey and rate everything with the highest grade. They said that, for example, if we didn't give the food the highest grade, it would count as a black mark against our waiter, and if he was given a certain number of black marks, he would be fired and sent home. They also said that not turning in our survey counted as giving him a black mark. I always told the hosts and hostesses that I liked the food, but if I hadn't, it wouldn't have had anything to do with the waiter. They still insisted that not liking the food would have penalized the waiter.

Eventually I wrote a letter to the cruiseline and asked if this was true. I was sent a letter saying that it was completely false. So the next time I went on a cruise, and the hostess started to tell us how to fill out the survey, I told her that we could write whatever we wanted, or even not fill out the survey, and it would not get the waiter fired. She said, "Oh, I'm so glad they changed the way they do things."

Thank You Julie!!!!!!:)