Holiday Cruises: Time Off, But Too Expensive

logan25

Just found out my office is closed for extra time over the Christmas and New Year's holiday weeks and would love to parlay that into a cruise vacation. But, of course, we all know the fares (cruise and air) are crazy expensive. Can anyone offer me some words of encouragement?

I can drive to a couple of ports within a day and save the airfare. But still have the expensive cabin price. How can I justify to myself paying almost twice what it would cost any other time of the year? It's driving me crazy!

Edited by logan25

Just found out my office is closed for extra time over the Christmas and New Year's holiday weeks and would love to parlay that into a cruise vacation. But, of course, we all know the fares (cruise and air) are crazy expensive. Can anyone offer me some words of encouragement?

I can drive to a couple of ports within a day and save the airfare. But still have the expensive cabin price. How can I justify to myself paying almost twice what it would cost any other time of the year? It's driving me crazy!

If you normally stay in a balcony room, try a inside room. They are about 1/2 the balcony price and won't really matter if you just sleep there. At least you are cruising!

If you normally stay in a balcony room, try a inside room. They are about 1/2 the balcony price and won't really matter if you just sleep there. At least you are cruising!

This. We normally take a balcony on our 'real' vacations but taking an OV on a shorter cruise allows us to squeeze in another once a year without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope wish I could, we have the same problem.

The prices on 6-7 day cruises run from $2739 (Carnival 6 day out of Ft.L) to $4156 (celebrity out of miami) for a family of 4 doing an OV stateroom.

NCL has the Pearl which does an 11 day cruise which covers both christmas and New years , Which goes to both Eastern and southern. Hitting very interesting ports, the same as the ones they cancelled for Halloween :rolleyes: so I am a bit leery about that ship given its history.

Its $4629 for a family of 4 for an obstructed view, which when broken down, isn't terrible for that long a cruise.

Fortunately airfare is not a condition but... thats a lot of dough.

But first we have to do our first NCL cruise on the Dawn in 3 weeks to see if we and NCL are compatible. ;)

The best deals for holiday cruising are usually booking several months ahead.

Book what you feel you can afford and watch for price drops. Also consider the cruise as a Christmas present and cut back on gifts.

Only YOU know your financial situation. Only YOU have a complete picture of your assets and liabilities, thus only YOU know what you can afford.

It would be disingenuous to suggest that anyone else could possibly answer the "How can I justify to myself " question.

Just found out my office is closed for extra time over the Christmas and New Year's holiday weeks

How can I justify to myself paying almost twice what it would cost any other time of the year? It's driving me crazy!

Easy... you have the time now. So drive to the port, and justify the higher cruise-fare by saving on airfare.

Shop around. I sailed one Christmas a few years back and the cabin was reasonably priced. I thought it would have been difficult to go from a suite to a "regular" balcony cabin but it was fine.

The suites were just way too expensive for me.

Edited by johnsak123

For us, being able to drive would save more than what we usually pay for cruise fare alone, so that in itself would compensate for the higher prices. What dates/departure ports are you looking at exactly?

The prices on the Jewel out of New Orleans for New Years are actually not too bad, but of course aren't as good as rates during the school year. We shopped around for a while before we settled on that one. We will be asking an 8 1/2 hour drive to NOLA to save on $1,200 in airfare for four from DFW.

As others have said, only you know your financial situation. If you really want to cruise and can do it financially, then do it. Personally, I would love to cruise in October or early November when rates are lower, but Texas law frowns on taking kids out of school for it. :mad:

The prices on the Jewel out of New Orleans for New Years are actually not too bad, but of course aren't as good as rates during the school year. We shopped around for a while before we settled on that one. We will be asking an 8 1/2 hour drive to NOLA to save on $1,200 in airfare for four from DFW.

As others have said, only you know your financial situation. If you really want to cruise and can do it financially, then do it. Personally, I would love to cruise in October or early November when rates are lower, but Texas law frowns on taking kids out of school for it. :mad:

We are on the same cruise :) We are driving down (9 hours) from KY and getting porthole room to save $$. It would be at least 2 hours to the Nashville airport anyway, so only 7 hours additional drive. We found a hotel where we will stay the night before that will give transportation to the ship and keep our car during the trip.