Carry liquor on a plane?

swom

Anyone know the rule for buying liquor in St Maartin and carrying it back to the states on a plane?

I talked to a TSA agent once about this, but can't remember the rule now.

Is it: you can carry it on board in the cardboard container they wrap it in if your last port of call was a USA port???

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Anyone know the rule for buying liquor in St Maartin and carrying it back to the states on a plane?

I talked to a TSA agent once about this, but can't remember the rule now.

Is it: you can carry it on board in the cardboard container they wrap it in if your last port of call was a USA port???

Anyone know?

Thanks!

I'm curious what the rule is as well....

If your going thru a TSA check point , all liquids must fit in a 1 quart bag with nothing liquid more than 3 oz.

No, I know that, but you can actually carry liquor on board with you, (in the cardboard box they put it in, if it's not been opened), but there's a special rule for that and I can't remember what it is.

On flights initiated outside of the USA, liquor can be purchased at the airport duty free and it can be carried aboard. Once you arrive in the US, any continued domestic flight would require you to place the liquor in your checked bag.

You scenario suggests that your final port is in the US and that you will initiate your flight there. It doesn't matter where the liquor was purchased in this case, it's a simple matter of you boarding a domestic flight and that bottle needs to be checked. It's no different than if you bought a bottle in your home town and were flying to the next state over.

Look at the underlying intent. The duty free store at the airport is within a controlled environment, so the TSA knows the contents. The contents of the bottle that you bring back from St. Martin, however, is totally unknown to them.

We cruised out of San Juan and princess actually sold bubble wrap for bottles.

I just wrap them in packed them. Check my luggage at San Juan airport..

poor guy lift my suitcase and had that look... told him all shoes....lol

But no questions were ask. Also wrap them in towels, or just leave them in the boxes...

hope this helps

Cathy

We cruised out of San Juan and princess actually sold bubble wrap for bottles.

I just wrap them in packed them. Check my luggage at San Juan airport..

poor guy lift my suitcase and had that look... told him all shoes....lol

But no questions were ask. Also wrap them in towels, or just leave them in the boxes...

hope this helps

Cathy

That's great, as well as necessary, but unless you're flying First Class, if you hit that 50 pound limit then the airlines can charge a $50 or even $100 'overweight' fee for the bag.

gary

That's great, as well as necessary, but unless you're flying First Class, if you hit that 50 pound limit then the airlines can charge a $50 or even $100 'overweight' fee for the bag.

gary

OUCH!:eek::(