Solstice class to be banned from Venice?

steve ch

We spent two nights in Venice before our cruise on the Shilouette last May. My guess is todays giant over sized cruise ships add at least 10,000 tourist per day to the rather small area of Venice. At times it is almost impossible to board a Vaporetto or walk around.

Venice was much more enjoyable 5 and 10 years ago before the megaships arrived.:(

I suspect that if the good citizens of Venice were given a referendum on this issue then the vote would quite possibly be to allow cruise ships to continue as now.

Not so sure about that. ;)

When we were in Venice last May on the Silhouette, we had a private walking/pub tour. Lot's of fun and very interesting.

We learned from our guide - a older native of Venice - that the people of Venice are torn on the tourist issue. While they enjoy the money that is being brought in, they are not enjoying the damage that tourist cause to their city. The main topic of discussion is the wear and tear of their bridges...foot traffic. Some bridges are starting to crumble and need to be fixed. If the bridges are closed for repair, the numbers of tourist allowed into the city will have to be scaled back. However, it's a Catch 22. The tourist/ship passengers are what bring in the tax money to make these repairs. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's right that cruise ships stop inside Venice. I have seen my parents photos from their RCL sail in and I think it is an absolute outrage. They are an eye-sore in the context of this small, world heritage city. they distract from the beauty of Venice which is a living museum with the most beautiful sights at every turn. modern cruise ships jar with that beauty, i love ships, but if they were permanent structures they would not get planning permission.

When I visited 10 years ago I saw no large ships. I cannot imagine how annoyed local residents find it to wake up an have their homes dwarfed by mega ships.

I imagine it has affected some property prices. At one time the ancient fish market was going to be demolished to build a cruise terminal. locals organised themselves & defeated the plans, thank goodness as its an important historical site. I'm glad the mayor is doing something about it.

I will not book an eastern med trip until the ships starting docking outside the city.

Just imagine the following scenarios if it was possible...

A cruise ship docking outside the colosseum, Buckingham palace, the ancient city of Petra, the pyramids?!

Why is Venice any different? It should not be allowed in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's right that cruise ships stop inside Venice. I have seen my parents photos from their RCL sail in and I think it is an absolute outrage. They are an eye-sore in the context of this small, world heritage city. they distract from the beauty of Venice which is a living museum with the most beautiful sights at every turn. modern cruise ships jar with that beauty, i love ships, but if they were permanent structures they would not get planning permission.

When I visited 10 years ago I saw no large ships. I cannot imagine how annoyed local residents find it to wake up an have their homes dwarfed by mega ships.

I imagine it has affected some property prices. At one time the ancient fish market was going to be demolished to build a cruise terminal. locals organised themselves & defeated the plans, thank goodness as its an important historical site. I'm glad the mayor is doing something about it.

I will not book an eastern med trip until the ships starting docking outside the city.

Just imagine the following scenarios if it was possible...

A cruise ship docking outside the colosseum, Buckingham palace, the ancient city of Petra, the pyramids?!

Why is Venice any different? It should not be allowed in my opinion.

You obviously don't understand the situation. They aren't docked next to the important and historical areas. They only pass by, and are visible for only a few minutes. Where they do park is in an industrial area on the west edge of Venice, near the train station and road & rail viaduct to the mainline. Not much interesting to see there. I don't understand your point of view since they are out of sight for 99% of the time.

Please, do at least a minimal amount of research about this so you better understand the issues.

Venice-cruise-port-2.jpg

venezia-terminal-passeggeri-al-sea-trade-2013-L-yxdC0w.jpeg

venice-cruise1-7-15-13_wide-a89bd62e1aa223d314fe9f64215df1ba9178fc2d-s4.jpg

Edited by fortinweb

You obviously don't understand the situation. They aren't docked next to the important and historical areas. They only pass by, and are visible for only a few minutes. Where they do park is in an industrial area on the west edge of Venice, near the train station and road & rail viaduct to the mainline. Not much interesting to see there. I don't understand your point of view since they are out of sight for 99% of the time.

Please, do at least a minimal amount of research about this so you better understand the issues.

Venice-cruise-port-2.jpg

venezia-terminal-passeggeri-al-sea-trade-2013-L-yxdC0w.jpeg

venice-cruise1-7-15-13_wide-a89bd62e1aa223d314fe9f64215df1ba9178fc2d-s4.jpg

Great pics, thanks for clarifying the docks position, as for not being able to go through the Grand canal, so what. It is a small sacrifice to still be able to go to Venice.:D

Great pics, thanks for clarifying the docks position, as for not being able to go through the Grand canal, so what. It is a small sacrifice to still be able to go to Venice.:D

Just for clarification, the Grand Canal is the thin, backwards "S" in the first photo below. There are four very low bridges crossing it. No cruise ship could EVER take that route. If it tried, it wouldn't get more than 100 feet until it crashed into something. :D However, taking a vaporetto (water bus) ride along the Grand Canal is not to be missed. A seat at the very front is a perfect vantage point to watch the flow of traffic along this unique transportation route.

The canal the cruise ships have been using is the Canale della Guidecca,

E7227982-7.jpg

venice_grand_canal_5.jpg

vaporetto.jpg

Edited by boogs

Just for clarification, the Grand Canal is the thin, backwards "S" in the first photo below. There are four very low bridges crossing it. No cruise ship could EVER take that route. If it tried, it wouldn't get more than 100 feet until it crashed into something. :D However, taking a vaporetto (water bus) ride along the Grand Canal is not to be missed. A seat at the very front is a perfect vantage point to watch the flow of traffic along this unique transportation route.

The canal the cruise ships have been using is the Canale della Guidecca,

E7227982-7.jpg

venice_grand_canal_5.jpg

vaporetto.jpg

Sorry, I meant the Giudecca canal.

With the announcement of a reduction of 20% of cruise ships over 40,000 tonnes being allowed into Venice from January 2014 - does anyone or maybe someone from Celebrity Cruises can answer this - will this affect sailings already scheduled to sail from Venice or has this already been taken into account.

We are on Silhouette in September and will be starting our cruise from Venice

There is also a total ban on ships over 96,000 tonnes in a year's time.

Next year could be a final chance to sail past St Marks Square.

We were in Venice last year. When we took the water taxi back to the airport, the operator told us there was serious concern over damage caused by the wake of large ships and by high speeds of smaller craft like water taxis and buses. The smaller craft are supposed to slow down inside the Grand Canal and only power up when they are out in open sea. The huge cruise ships are tugged/pulled out at slow speeds. We watched a huge Princess ship being pulled out....it was fascinating to watch. The objective is to minimize future erosion/deterioration and there are other remedial actions planned as well (not related to the cruising industry) to try and prevent further "sinking". If we want to continue enjoying the beauty and uniqueness of Venice, these actions are important! Venice wants the tourism and therefore needs to take these steps even if it means fewer ships in port at any single time. The week-end we arrived there must have been at least 10 huge ships in port and as a result, the streets were jammed and the line-ups huge. It felt like there were 40,000 or more tourists crowding through the narrow streets....of course, that's only what it felt like; we don't know how many tourists there really were! For sure the cruises bring in tourism and business..... but, we weren't surprised at the concerns raised nor at the pending restrictions now being advised. On the other hand (cost notwithstanding), it may end up being more pleasant for tourists when there are not so many of us at a single time!

Edited by Browser495

Another article.

http://news.yahoo.com/italy-divert-cruise-ships-historic-venice-192139600.html

Looks like they are going to limit the number of ships to five a day and only passage through the canal will be at either sunset or sundown. Our cruise is scheduled to arrive at 1:00.

From this article - In the meantime, smaller ferries will be banned beginning in January from passing through Venice, reducing traffic in front of St. Mark's by one-quarter, while cruise ship traffic will be reduced by 20 percent. Last year, 661 cruise ships arrived with 1,775 passengers, according to Venice Passenger Terminal statistics.

As of Nov. 1, 2014, ships larger than 96,000 tons, with a capacity of 3,000 to 3,500 passengers, will be banned from Venice.

I hope that Venice has a rethink on the last statement.:D