Questions & tips Possible Cruise on Caribbean Princess

~Christie~

Hello all,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for our anniversary next year going either in March or April. We have sailed on Carnival twice and up until today we were planning our third one with Carnival, until I came across Princess Cruises going out of Houston.

So, any advice for us? I am really torn between the two b/c I "know" what to expect on a CCL cruise, but not on PCL.

Princess has a pretty good deal on a night's stay at the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Houston, transport to/from the ship, and parking included.

I would love to do an anniversary like that - the FS is a nice posh hotel in a better neighborhood (more walkable restaurants, etc.) than the terminal.

I think it was $250 for two people.

Rick

I've sailed on the CB twice and must say that I love that ship! Although I can't personally talk to the Carnival issue as I've never cruised with them, my DH has and he said he strongly preferred Princess to Carnival. It is a quite different experience overall. I really can only say good things about Princess. Try it...you'll love it! :)

Go for it. You'll probably like it. Lots of activities, live music in four different lounges, plus in the piazza area, Skywalker's Nightclub with a DJ aft and way up top open late, 5 pools, nice ports, loads of free eating venues including The International Cafe on Deck 5 open 24 hours.

One 750 bottle of wine/pp over 21 can be boarded with out charge. Additional bottles of wine are charged a $15 corkage fee. No spirits. Soft drinks allowed.

We just sailed on the CB for the first time and the crew was among the nicest of any ship we've sailed! The ship is in good shape and the food and entertainment were good. We had a lot of fun with the CD staff at trivia. Would love to sail on her again, as it was too chilly to avail ourselves of most of the outside activities. DH loved Skywalkers as a quiet (and warm) place to work.

The Caribbean Princess was our first Princess cruise 2 years ago, and we loved it. Princess cruise #3 is coming up, and I'm compiling a list for the future...

That's what will happen to you, too! :D

The Caribbean is a great ship, with a friendly and helpful staff. I hope you book it and enjoy your celebration.

We have cruised both Carnival & Princess and sailed on the Caribbean Princess 3X so far. We also have an anniversary next summer and have booked a B2B in a mini-suite on her & also plan to renew our vows.;) I really believe the Caribbean Princess for your anniversary celebration will top any Carnival cruise you could take, IMHO.

Edited by Sanibel*Gal

Thanks to you all! I am so excited! I really cannot wait until we cruise, have not booked yet, waiting on my travel agent to get back in touch with me and let me the price of it all so we can put our deposit down!!!!!

We are thinking of doing a balcony (had one on CCL and loved it), but also want to cut cost if we can, so what do you all think about ocean views? Or should we just go for the balcony?

Thanks to you all! I am so excited! I really cannot wait until we cruise, have not booked yet, waiting on my travel agent to get back in touch with me and let me the price of it all so we can put our deposit down!!!!!

We are thinking of doing a balcony (had one on CCL and loved it), but also want to cut cost if we can, so what do you all think about ocean views? Or should we just go for the balcony?

Congrats! Go for a Caribe deck balcony! They are much bigger than the average balcony and they are half covered. That keeps the cabin a little cooler, gives you a little shade or cover from rain. We love the aft section where it's quiet... not many people walking by.... also cheaper (BD). Keep track of the fare adjustments and sales. If price goes down, your price can be lowered up until the time of final payment. While you're on, buy future cruise credits so that you'll be able to cruise the next time for only $100 deposit and you'll get some on board credit for your next voyage. :)

BE CAREFUL! Once you go Princess, you can't really go back! I cruised CCL one more time after PCL and it just was never the same!! :( Princess is SO much nicer, better food, better service, better PASSENGERS, just better overall! I know you will enjoy it. In addition, my first cruise was on the Caribbean Princess. It is a marvelous ship---great layout and still to date my favorite cruise even though our company wasn't my favorite (strange family members---you know the drill) even though we didn't particularly enjoy the travel companions we chose, the remarkable service, food, and surroundings managed to shine through!

We had a balcony room and it was perfect. If you think it is worth it based on your individual deal's price difference to have the extra space and quiet time I highly recommend booking a balcony. We are trying our first Princess oceanview room on the Crown Princess Dec 21st so I will let you know when I get back the differences (assuming my mother doesn't cave and end up booking a balcony. She's nervous about the small square footage in the oceanview room)

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!! You're making a fabulous choice to jump ship. (hehehe little cruise pun for ya)

Congrats! Go for a Caribe deck balcony! They are much bigger than the average balcony and they are half covered. That keeps the cabin a little cooler, gives you a little shade or cover from rain. We love the aft section where it's quiet... not many people walking by.... also cheaper (BD). Keep track of the fare adjustments and sales. If price goes down, your price can be lowered up until the time of final payment. While you're on, buy future cruise credits so that you'll be able to cruise the next time for only $100 deposit and you'll get some on board credit for your next voyage. :)

thanks!!!!!! still taking notes so keep it coming - lol!