Seasickness prevention

amen71

I am hoping more experienced "Cruisers" can help with the most effective seasickness treatment they have found. One that is effective and does not knock the person out. Can be either over-the-counter or presecription.

Any suggestioins would be greatly appreciated. Cruise (4 days/3 nights) is is planned for January in the Caribbean. Only 2 ports of call, departing and returning from Miami.

I am hoping more experienced "Cruisers" can help with the most effective seasickness treatment they have found. One that is effective and does not knock the person out. Can be either over-the-counter or presecription.

Any suggestioins would be greatly appreciated. Cruise (4 days/3 nights) is is planned for January in the Caribbean. Only 2 ports of call, departing and returning from Miami.

Welcome to Cruise Critic amen71:)

Here's a link to a recent thread at Cruise Critic about effective remedies for seasickness

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1921139

Hope you have a great cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Bonine supposedly is non-drowsy and many swear to it. However, it makes me drowsy. If you have that kind of reaction to drugs, even OTC ones, then you might want to tryout the Bonine for drowsiness (or lack thereof) before cruising.

I personally use the sea bands. They can be purchased in any drug store and are not expensive. one pair will last your entire cruise. you put them on before sailaway and leave them on until you arrive back in Miami. If the sea is calm and you hardly feel like you are moving, you can try taking them off and see how you are feeling. first sign of queasiness, put them right back on and don't remove them until Miami. They can get wet so you can wear them in the pool, shower, etc. I do take them off when we go into port, but put them right back on before the ship starts sailing again.

Good luck.

You will read many remedies from experienced cruisers.

After 5 cruises we consitently use the SCOP "patch"

It is by prescription.

It does have drawbacks.

Dry mouth

Photo sensitivity

Thirst

But, we have found out by drinking more fluid we have avoided dehydration and have faired better in rough water situations.

We put the patch on behind our ear the day of the cruise when we get up and usually after two days are acclimated and dont have to use any more.

But, others will not like it.

In fact it is making a come back in the anesthesia realm, and used preoperatively to prevent post op nausea and vomiting in out patient procedures, and/or high risk procedures.

Sea Ya

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Bonine supposedly is non-drowsy and many swear to it. However, it makes me drowsy. If you have that kind of reaction to drugs, even OTC ones, then you might want to tryout the Bonine for drowsiness (or lack thereof) before cruising.

I personally use the sea bands. They can be purchased in any drug store and are not expensive. one pair will last your entire cruise. you put them on before sailaway and leave them on until you arrive back in Miami. If the sea is calm and you hardly feel like you are moving, you can try taking them off and see how you are feeling. first sign of queasiness, put them right back on and don't remove them until Miami. They can get wet so you can wear them in the pool, shower, etc. I do take them off when we go into port, but put them right back on before the ship starts sailing again.

Good luck.

The sea bands are great! Work better than anything with no side effects. Also try Ginger tablets. Great at settling that upset stomach. Like this person said, you can take them off when the seas are calm and first sign of queasiness, put them back on. You will be fine within a half hour.

Penny

The sea bands are great! Work better than anything with no side effects. Also try Ginger tablets. Great at settling that upset stomach. Like this person said, you can take them off when the seas are calm and first sign of queasiness, put them back on. You will be fine within a half hour.

Penny

P.S. Definitely buy them before the trip as you will pay more for them on the ship.

Penny

Do you know that you'll get seasick? Just asking since it seems way more people take meds than may need to, just afraid they may be seasick...

You can always get bonine at the pursers desk (free I think) or ship store if you need it. Personally, I wouldn't take scopdex unless I knew that I got very motion sick (not as a general preventative).

I am very prone to motion sickness. For my first cruise, I followed advice from the Cruise Critic boards and went with Bonine (generic Meclizine). Definitely try it before hand for any reactions such as drowsiness, etc. It does not cause me to be drowsy at all, but others have reported that it causes them to be drowsy. The advice was to start taking the Bonine a day or two before the cruise. Then continue for a couple of days after you disembark until your land legs have returned. It was the best advice. I had 0 problems with the motion. I have followed this routine since with great success. That being said each person is different.

S.

As others have said, bonine works best for me. My package says to take 1/day. If I take it during the day I get drowsy. But I take it right before bed and that works great. I do not wake up drowsy either.

Treven I agree but I need a 750ml dose over the course of the day.

I've found that one dose in the evening is my preventive. It must work as I've never gotten sea sick. Of course it may just be that I don't get sea sick - but who am I to take a chance. :-)

Don't be afraid you'll get seasick.

I don't get seasick.

I cruised with someone who thought she might. She was so involved in the FUN aspect once onboard, she didn't think about the fact that she didn't get seasick until the fun was over and we got off the ship.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by mizlorinj

Bonine works but makes me sleepy as well so on the last cruise I tried something I read on here its called Motion-eze they are drops you place behind each ear and I swear to you they worked !! I tend to get mildly seasick on the first sea day as I am getting my "sea legs" but after that I am usually good unless we have rough seas.

Another vote for the sea bands. My husband can become nauseated just standing on the pier and watching boats bob up and down! So when we booked our first cruise, he was worried that he wouldn't enjoy it due to seasickness. A co-worker loaned him a pair of sea bands, and he wore them from the time we got off our hotel shuttle at the cruise terminal!

He tried taking them off at bedtime, but woke up through the night and put them back on. So their effect is definitely noticeable.

We had a couple of calm sea days, and he was able to take them off. But our last day at sea was rough, and he wore them again. He said he felt them take effect within about 30 minutes.

Of course, not every experience will be the same. They may not work for you. But you can find them very inexpensively online....I bought two pairs for less than $2 total with free shipping on ebay when we took our daughter for her first cruise earlier this year. They worked just as well as the name brand sea bands.