Baltimore in Winter

Dan&CrystalVT

Hi. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises, both departing from Florida. My husband and I live in Vermont so most cruises require a long drive or flights. I've looked at the itineraries out of Baltimore and read some reviews. I was wondering, for those that have done this cruise, did you feel it was worth it? I know a couple of sea days will be cold until we get further south. I have a close friend and her husband and they have never cruised or been to FL so we were thinking it could be a nice vacation. We could easily drive down to Baltimore and the prices aren't bad on these departures. I just worry that we'll be a little bummed with the cooler sea days and the ports. But then I love just about everything about cruising so I'm thinking I maybe worrying about nothing!

We did the southern Caribbean out of San Juan 2 years ago and I loved that cruise and am so anxious to cruise again. The convenience of getting to MD seems like it may be worth it.

I don't and won't sail from Baltimore on a short cruise such as a 7 day cruise. Way too cold. The first 2 days down and the last 2 days coming back are cold. No sitting by the pool for me which is what I love.

I don't mind sailing out of Baltimore on the longer cruises. Did a 12 day cruise on Celebrity when they were still there and loved it but only 4 out of 12 days were too cold. With a 7 day cruise you only get 3 days of nice sun and then you are going to the Bahamas so it could still be chilly there.

Just my opinion though.

The winter cruises are cheaper for a reason. If you don’t care that much for the open deck and warm weather it may be worth it. I know from talking to most people in this area that have done it not many have repeated the winter cruises. It’s also a time of the year when the Bahamas can be cool too.......just my 2 cents.....

I'd say it depends on when during the winter you sail. December and January then expect four cold days (2 out and 2 back). But once you get to February, it could be nice after the first full sea day. I've spent years sailing out of Norfolk and sometimes in Feb it's still crappy all the way down by Florida, sometimes it's nice once you get past Hatteras.

That being said, we did a cold cruise on Pride out of Baltimore last year and while we didn't get to lay out and lounge in the pool, there was still plenty to do. And whatever you decide, it'll still not be as cold as VT!

We cruised out of Baltimore in January 2010 on the Pride. The day we left, it was frigid cold. The weather stayed cool all the way to Port Canaveral. When we docked it was about 37 degrees and warmed up to mid 60's.

When we got to Nassau, it was mid 70's. Not warm enough for me to swim, so we just did some shopping.

At Freeport, it was drizzling lightly, so we only walked around a bit and got back on the ship.

On the way back to Baltimore, the water was so calm that the captain remarked that it was one of the smoothest sailings he ever experienced.

As someone else mentioned, there's always a lot to do on the ship, plus it was inexpensive.

We are sailing on the Carnival Splendor in January and we're expecting a similar experience. We're looking forward to it.

We love be able to drive to the cruise terminal and not having to worry about what to bring.

Plus, at the Port of Baltimore, it was so easy getting on and off. I don't know if they still do it this way, but when we drove in, they took our bags right out of the car and then we found our parking spot.

Edited by Diamond Girl

Hi. I have been on 2 Carnival cruises, both departing from Florida. My husband and I live in Vermont so most cruises require a long drive or flights. I've looked at the itineraries out of Baltimore and read some reviews. I was wondering, for those that have done this cruise, did you feel it was worth it? I know a couple of sea days will be cold until we get further south. I have a close friend and her husband and they have never cruised or been to FL so we were thinking it could be a nice vacation. We could easily drive down to Baltimore and the prices aren't bad on these departures. I just worry that we'll be a little bummed with the cooler sea days and the ports. But then I love just about everything about cruising so I'm thinking I maybe worrying about nothing!

We did the southern Caribbean out of San Juan 2 years ago and I loved that cruise and am so anxious to cruise again. The convenience of getting to MD seems like it may be worth it.

Hi Dan & Crystal,

I've done Baltimore in winter. Liked it just fine, but yes you get some cold sea days. This year sailing out of NYC in January on Splendor. Splendor has a retractable roof over pool so you can swim first day.

Also, hot tubs on a cold day always a lot of fun.

Cheers!

HTP:cool:

We cruised from Baltimore on the Pride in Feb. 2010, and we're doing it again in 2014. In 2010, we luckily missed a couple of snowstorms before we cruised. We were with my sister and BIL, and they were going to one of the Disney venues when we got to Florida. By the afternoon of the second sea day, it started to warm up. Florida was in a little cool spell when we arrived, but it was good for my sister and BIL, as it was about 68-70 degrees and comfortable when they went to Disney World. Nassau was about 80, and Freeport was hot and humid and about 90. We didn't sit by the pool, so I couldn't tell you about that. There was plenty to do around the ship on the cooler days too.

Another thing, I think packing for me at least, was much easier with the 3 or more cold sea days, and the most important thing is the unbelievable great price we're paying for a balcony cabin. There are some advantages for cruising in the winter months.

Because we never know what the weather might be at that time of year, we're not going to take any chances in 2014. We're going to Baltimore the day before the cruise, and staying at one of the hotels in the area that offer a Park and Cruise package.

One more thing, in Feb. 2010, we had smooth sailing during the entire cruise. I hope it's the same in 2014.

If you love everything about cruising, give it a try. Whatever you decide, have a great time!!

I've cruised from Florida in the winter and had cold weather too. We just sailed on the Pride in 10/13 and booked a second cruise 1/26/14. The Pride has a retractable roof over the pool. I would think they would have it deployed prior to sailing. Any time away from work is a good time.

I've cruised from Florida in the winter and had cold weather too. We just sailed on the Pride in 10/13 and booked a second cruise 1/26/14. The Pride has a retractable roof over the pool. I would think they would have it deployed prior to sailing. Any time away from work is a good time.

See ya on board!!!We booked a suite for the first time and really looking forward to it, don't really care about the weather, just love the sea!

I am sailing in February on the Pride during the kids break and also live in Vermont. I just cannot justify the additional expense for the 5 of us to fly to Florida and then cruise.

Personally I have never been a Sun lover. If there was no open deck, I would still love a cruise, so I do not think it will bother us. I am still hoping for the higher range of temps when we sail though and hopefully no blizzard during my drive to Baltimore.

I am sailing in February on the Pride during the kids break and also live in Vermont. I just cannot justify the additional expense for the 5 of us to fly to Florida and then cruise.

Personally I have never been a Sun lover. If there was no open deck, I would still love a cruise, so I do not think it will bother us. I am still hoping for the higher range of temps when we sail though and hopefully no blizzard during my drive to Baltimore.

Baltimore can have feet of snow or be in the upper 60's this time of year!!

The pride has a retractable roof over the pool just like the splendor.... Either one you are fine for swimming... I sailed in feb a few years ago on the pride and we were outside in shorts by the end of the first sea day.. Fl was about 80 and the bahamas were in the 70's.. Of course you could also be 10 to 15 degrees colder... each year is different.. bottom line is you can save 250.00 a person going in the winter.. we are going again in feb this coming year and paying 409.00 a person for 7 days out of baltimore for an OV room... no way to get that price if you wait until april or may when its warmer... also, even if it is cooler, its still warmer then the Northeast and I am on vacation on a cruise for a great price

Thanks everyone! My husband and I never swim on board the ship, they are always so crowded, we do swim in the ocean when the weather is nice but we'd have a great even if we didn't swim. As a kid my family and I went to FL every February for winter break and to see our grandparent and loved the weather, usually low 70's. Compare to VT anything over 50 feels tropical that time of year! Now I just need to fully convince husband!