Amex Gift card usage

m32446

Anyone have experience with using an Amex gift card in any fashion on Carnival? We're leaving November 18, and I've found people going both ways on whether or not there's any way of using them. I'd love to be able to just put them on the SS, but the Carnival policy says that won't work (although I've seen evidence that people have done it, anyway!) We're doing Nachi in Cozumel and a Mayan tour in Progreso, so I'd assume it's possible we'd use them in some fashion in either of those, but I don't want to have to find something extra to spend them on!

Any ideas or experience?

I just read on Carnival website that they do not take AMEX Gift Cards.

The following Credit Cards are accepted as a form of deposit to open a Sail & Sign Account at the start of the cruise. There will be an initial hold placed on file as a deposit. During the cruise, additional holds will be added when the Sail & Sign Account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If a credit card is presented, this will reduce the amount available on the credit card for other purchases. If a debit/check-cashing card is presented, the hold will restrict the available cash in the checking account. Any remaining hold after the end of the cruise will automatically be released by the guest’s issuing bank within a time period determined by the bank.

Acceptable Cards

• Visa Card and Visa Gift Card
  • MasterCard and MasterCard Gift Card
  • An ATM/Debit Cashing Card may be used as long as it is a registered MasterCard or Visa Card
  • The Discover Card and Discover Gift Card
  • American Express Card only
  • Diner’s Club and Diner's Club Gift Card
  • JCB Card only

Note: Gift Cards may also be referred to as "secured" or "pre-loaded" credit cards or “Travel Funds Card”.

Not Acceptable

• Gift Cards and Travel Funds Cards issued by: American Express; Optima
  • Keychain (mini) credit cards
  • The American Express “Persona Select”
  • ATM/Debit Cashing Card other than those registered by MasterCard or Visa Card.

We overheard someone on the Splendor last week arguing with a guest services member because she was told she could not use a gift card for her sail and sign expenses. She kept getting louder, but the answer was still no.

I was given a $100.00 amex gift card, I used it to buy cruise cash for our sail and sign card on the carnival web sight,no problems at all

Thanks for this info. I recieved a AMEx gift card a few weeks back and was specifically told to use it for my cruise. This discussion couldn't have come at a better time. Right after reading your post I went online and purchased my cruise cash!!!

Happy Birthday to ME!!!:p

• 2 months later...
Anyone have experience with using an Amex gift card in any fashion on Carnival? We're leaving November 18, and I've found people going both ways on whether or not there's any way of using them. I'd love to be able to just put them on the SS, but the Carnival policy says that won't work (although I've seen evidence that people have done it, anyway!) We're doing Nachi in Cozumel and a Mayan tour in Progreso, so I'd assume it's possible we'd use them in some fashion in either of those, but I don't want to have to find something extra to spend them on!

Any ideas or experience?

I had no trouble using my American Express card at Three Amigos at the port in Cozumel to pay for food. They do run it in Pesos so dont be shocked when you see the bill.

The following Credit Cards are accepted as a form of deposit to open a Sail & Sign Account at the start of the cruise. There will be an initial hold placed on file as a deposit. During the cruise, additional holds will be added when the Sail & Sign Account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If a credit card is presented, this will reduce the amount available on the credit card for other purchases. If a debit/check-cashing card is presented, the hold will restrict the available cash in the checking account. Any remaining hold after the end of the cruise will automatically be released by the guest’s issuing bank within a time period determined by the bank.

I read the above as you cannot use a gift card for initial deposit.

But it is in the terminology, I believe you cannot use it for initial deposit or initial set up of sign and sail card. I don't see any reason that you cannot use it for buying cruise cash that you put towards your sign and sail account. They just want a more stable form of payment in case you go over the cash amount on a gift card.

What do you read it as?

Between points provider, carnival and amex I still didn't get a straight answer.

However the closest I got to what I think the truth is from carnival rep.

As this card is in Canadian funds (American express gift card) it cannot be used towards purchasing cruise cash.

So we will have to find alternative use of points. grrrr