Problem with Cabin Steward

tafische

That doesn't match my experience. In my current job I work with military officers from Ukraine, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, and several other Eastern European countries, some of whom served before the wall came down. I would not describe any of them as surly or overly attached to rule books. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, but just because the guy is from Eastern Europe doesn't mean he is automatically predisposed to this type of behavior.

I somehow doubt this steward from the Ukraine was former military The steward was probably an untrained uneducated laborer from the former soviet union. on the other hand, he certainly could have been military and his shutting the door behind him was a scare tactic.

I know I am sounding contradictory but IMHO the reason this steward acted as he did was due to his cultural upbringing and training. Fairly easy to figure that out. he is not from a submissive culture.

I would also expect that it would be against policy to be alone in a cabin with the door shut with a minor or a male pax as well. Think that covers everyone right? Bottom line crew and pax are never supposed to be alone with each other. Even the doc will have a nurse. The hotel director will leave the door open if you are in his office or will most likely speak with you in the open at guest services.

absolutely true!

I am about the friendliest, over tipper you would ever meet, but I would have been right there with the tip removers on the last night. His would have been gone.

It would have been ugly if this happened to my wife or family. A bully enters your room and lectures your wife, with the door closed, it would have been ON at that point.

Next time I saw him, I would have very calmly stated he is not to enter my room again for the remainder of the cruise, and I will be arranging a room change. If he approaches any member of my family again, he had better be ready to fight me. I would say the same thing to guest services.

"This crew member is a predator and I request to move cabins. If he comes close to my family again, I am putting it on the record, he had better be ready to fight me. I may loose but I will give him a good effort. You can put me off at the next port if you want, or ban me from Carnival, but the safety of my family comes first"

I would have made sure the hotel director, security, and the cruise director were aware of the situation.

I am glad everything turned out OK. I dont think this is a cultural or a training thing, the guy is just a bad employee who needs to be gone. I have had the pleasure of getting to know many wonderful crew members over the years, I guess there are horrible ones out there too!

:rolleyes: THAT is too funny.

OMG- I always leave notes for my stewards.. requests for ice, etc.

Post its on the mirror.

Also "Thanks" for requests or I make comments on the towel animals, etc.

As far as having "phantom" stewards, have had a few of those.

No complaints, but I missed the contacts, getting to know a little about them.

For instance; if they get to go off on one of our ports, what they like to do, when do they get a vacation, what they will do, what ships they've been on, when their contract is up, when they get to see their family, what pets they have. If they tell me about a hobby, a collection or interest, I may pick up a small, related gift while I am ashore.

Of course, this never supplants tipping. I think we both benefit from the contact. But if I sense the steward wants to be left alone to do her/his job, I don't prod.

I would never grill them but if they show interest, I may ask them these things, depending on how they react. Most times I find employees are really happy to talk about their real lives, for someone to show a genuine interest in them, which I enjoy doing.

Pam

I would like to share my own disappointing experience from our last cruise.

Our room steward was horrible. He and his assistant were inconsistent. The room was not always vacuumed' date=' the vanity counter was not always cleaned and we sometimes found our used dishes & glasses we left out in the hallway still there after 2 or 3 hours. We would leave wet. dirty, sandy towels on the floor as they request for changing and we would find them just folded and re hung in the bathroom. We did not get replacement beach towels for 2 days after having to ask for them. During the course of the week, the stewards would knock and open the door at the same time and step into the room and as they announced "house keeping". We asked that they gives us time to answer the door before entering, but that request was ignored.

Our tip preference is to have guest services remove the gratuities and we tip in cash how we feel appropriate. Our steward, both head and assistant in the past have always gotten a generous cash tip, since we have always received good to excellent service. I have heard conflicting reports that the stewards know if gratuities are removed, we always give our tip to the steward an his/her assistant on our way to dinner the last night. This time we did not see them, so I decided to just leave the envelopes in the room for them to find when they cleaned the room and did the turn down. When we went back to the room after dinner about 8:30 we saw the stewards finishing up their turn downs for the evening. When we walked into our room, low and behold our room had not been turned down. No towels changed, no towel animal, nothing. I went out into the hallway to look for him and he was gone. I walked to his storage room, knocked on the door and after receiving no answer I opened the door to find his cart there and no room steward. Now this was the last straw. My wife went down to guest services and complained and I took the tip envelopes off of the vanity. We went out again and returned for the night about 11 PM to find the room turned down, towel animal, fresh towels, beach towels and fresh sheets. I put their gratuity envelopes back on the vanity and we went to bed.

The next morning we were up at 6 AM. At about 6:45 while I was out getting a second cup of coffee and my wife was just finishing getting dressed, the head steward did his knock and enter routine again. She let him know her displeasure of this again and he just laughed at her. She slammed the door on him. When I returned to the room and heard this, I adjusted the gratuity. For good measure, we took date and time stamped pictures of the honor bar, beach towels and bathrobes in case we get charged for anything.

Luckily we got a survey via email and our concerns with the stewards were noted. I also forwarded my complaints to our travel agent who passed them onto the customer care department. Customer care responded back in about 3 days apologizing and promising to address this with the right people on the Splendor.

We realize that this was an exception and not the rule, but we save all year for vacation and we expect competent service for our money. I do not believe in rewarding bad service with a gratuity. Competent to excellent service will be rewarded by me and my wife. Disagree with me if you must, but that is our preference and what we have always done in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

If what had happened to the OP happened to me and my wife, I would have handled the situation more aggressively with guest services and the hotel director. We all deserve competent to excellent service, it is what we pay for and is what is advertised. [/color']

What this on the Splendor? The reason I ask is that we had a very similar experience with our cabin steward on the Splendor in January 2012! Not only did he do the knock and enter... he also entered without knocking at all and caught me butt naked! I was furious, complained and guest services, and wrote a letter upon our return and received a phone call and I'm sorry from CCL corporate. I didn't expect anything in return other than that they review their policies and procedures to spare this from happening to others in the future.... thus, it infuriates me that they continue to get away with this behavior!

So on my last cruise, I was not thrilled at all with our cabin steward. On every cruise I have been on, they have been great and tirelessly work behind the scenes to make things enjoyable.

What I want to know is if my expectations are unrealistic? Here is what transpired (sorry it is long) --

We met the guy right off. He was from the Ukraine, very tall - about 6" 5' and very friendly, but very loud (woke us up being "friendly" with guests almost every morning)

- First full day we leave the cabin. When we come back he tells us he did not clean our cabin because we did not put out the Crusin' sign and we must have it out for him to clean

- That night we had some wine from our carry on bottles and left the room with the glasses. He chastised us telling us that if we took them we would not get any more as he does not have replacements.

- Next day we go back to the room and there are only three pool towels (4 in the room). We ask for another and he tells us he only replaces towels in the evening and we will have to get one from the towel hut.

- We had no robes in the cabin. When we asked him about it he argued we did. We had no room service menu, when we asked about it he argued we did.

- When we asked about replacement breakfast menus, he told us it was our fault because we were hanging our robes on the hook where he leaves them and he could not tell we were out.

- Third day we come back from Dinner and have NO pool towels in the room. The hut is closed and the kids want to swim. Young daughter starts to cry and says "I dont like him at all!!"

So at this point I have had it and go talk to the service desk. They get me some towels and are a little dumbfounded by what is going on and say they will speak to him. The Hotel Manager also comes by and talks to us.

- Next day my wife is in the room and he knocks and comes in AND closes the door behind him. He proceeds to tell her how it is not his fault that he has rules and they are out of towels, etc - but she is VERY uncomfortable with this guy in the room with the door closed by herself!

- Later when I am there he comes in again and closes the door and tells me all the same thing. I am friendly, tell him I disagree, but shake his hand and tel him I appreciate him coming by (at this point I just wanted him to leave).

So - was I wrong in my expectations from any of this? I have always taken the glasses out of the room. I have always had replacement towels. I have always had plenty of menus. I have NEVER been 'reprimanded' by a cabin steward.

By the way - I didnt dock his tip. I know he has a hard job.

Nope, you aren't wrong. He doesn't meet the standard by any means. Maybe he's new...regardless of that, you should write to CCL about it....total review with good and bad, but let them know.

It's nice you left his tip....I would have as well, but he needs to be instructed a little better and they won't do that unless they are aware there is a problem.

In 3 cruises I have seen my steward for a total of 5 times, twice on cruise 1 &2 and once on the last cruise....sounds like folks see theirs a bit more? Not sure I'd even recognize mine on ship most times. Then again, I hear say the steward and wait staff has called them by name...never have I or my wife witnessed that? We must smell bad or something??? :)

I happen to think it is the part of where he is from. I have had great staff always except one time we had a waiter from the Ukraine. Had to laugh every night before dinner as to what we would end up with. The food was great but NEVER what we ordered. After being reprimanded the first night from him for sending it back we just ordered, ate what was to our liking and went to the lido afterwards to finish. Didn't adjust but sure wanted to....

I happen to think it is the part of where he is from. I have had great staff always except one time we had a waiter from the Ukraine. Had to laugh every night before dinner as to what we would end up with. The food was great but NEVER what we ordered. After being reprimanded the first night from him for sending it back we just ordered, ate what was to our liking and went to the lido afterwards to finish. Didn't adjust but sure wanted to....

Surely you're joking about taking the wrong food and not saying anything. AND letting him reprimand you? AND THEN, tipping him the whole amount?

Did he threaten you to keep quiet and tip him or else?

Its probably beating a very dead horse at this point, but after the confrontation with the wife, I probably would have been very vocal with the guest services director (again). I'm pretty sure I'd have been furious. Pin his actions on his culture/ethics/attitude/etc... It was not appropriate. I'd rather not see them face to face under any circumstances for the rest of the cruise. Not even for an apology. Service my family's cabin when we're at dinner or off the ship. No interaction.

I'd notify corperate for sure.

Surely you're joking about taking the wrong food and not saying anything. AND letting him reprimand you? AND THEN, tipping him the whole amount?

?

I understand your reaction.

Going with the flow is good, but not to that extreme.

Acceptance of mediocrity is why CCL will be able to sustain while being mediocre.

Not good.

(yet JH thinks the food and service are better now?????) :rolleyes:

Edited by halos

What this on the Splendor? The reason I ask is that we had a very similar experience with our cabin steward on the Splendor in January 2012! Not only did he do the knock and enter... he also entered without knocking at all and caught me butt naked! I was furious, complained and guest services, and wrote a letter upon our return and received a phone call and I'm sorry from CCL corporate. I didn't expect anything in return other than that they review their policies and procedures to spare this from happening to others in the future.... thus, it infuriates me that they continue to get away with this behavior!

Yes it was on the Splendor. We were on deck 9 port side this past October. I would have been furious also if he caught me or my wife naked. Did you get any apology from anyone besides guest services?

I understand your reaction.

Going with the flow is good, but not to that extreme.

Acceptance of mediocrity is why CCL will be able to sustain while being mediocre.

Not good.

(yet JH thinks the food and service are better now?????) :rolleyes:

Food is subjective to a point but a piece of beef you can't chew is what is is tough. Just a few years ago the rates were pretty comparable but service and food were excellent.

I know the easy solution is to cut it in smaller bites chew longer but tell yourself you did not have to cook it. Darn right, it would have been tender and juicy.

Edited by Blk_Amish

In 3 cruises I have seen my steward for a total of 5 times, twice on cruise 1 &2 and once on the last cruise....sounds like folks see theirs a bit more? Not sure I'd even recognize mine on ship most times. Then again, I hear say the steward and wait staff has called them by name...never have I or my wife witnessed that? We must smell bad or something??? :)

I don't know how many people feel this way but I like it when I never see the room steward. My wife will leave a note if we need something, or if we catch him in the hallway, we will ask.

INMHO- This is just plain horrid.

Yes it was on the Splendor. We were on deck 9 port side this past October. I would have been furious also if he caught me or my wife naked. Did you get any apology from anyone besides guest services?

Nope! It still makes me mad when I think about it. Here is an excerpt from my cruise review......

Day 6 – Sea Day

Today we slept in and enjoyed breakfast in bed. We had a lazy day, relaxing watching movies in our cabin and laying out in the sun on our balcony. Tonight was the 2nd formal night and the past guest party. As we were getting ready we had an incident that I was, and am still, furious about as I type it. While sitting at the vanity, doing my hair and make-up in nothing but my anniversary suit, I heard keys (yes, they were actual keys like on a key ring) outside of our door.

Since cabin #6450 is also off the little atrium, I didn’t think too much about it~ until I heard the key go into the keyhole of our door!!! It happened so fast, that I couldn’t even get words out of my mouth. As I jumped up from the vanity and over the bed, my eyes met an unfamiliar male’s eyes. My husband happened to be walking out of the bathroom and was like “what the heck”. We then heard a faint “I’m sorry ma’am”. My heart was racing so fast and I was so furious that I could not see straight. Since when does any service member of CCL enter a passenger stateroom without knocking first!!!!

We finished getting dressed and headed to dinner. Throughout dinner, my husband was telling me to let it go, but I simply could not. Upon finishing dinner we went to guest services and made them aware of the incident. At first they told me it was impossible as this was a “keyless” ship and that there were only 2 people on the ship with actual keys. After I insisted they were keys and that I had heard them go into the key hole, I was asked to hold on and a different person came to the desk. After a few minutes we were asked if we had gone 2 days without our cabin being serviced~ at first I responded NO, because we had our evening turn-down service, but we were then advised that our cabin had been “red-flagged” due to the “Snoozin” sign being up 2 consecutive days in the afternoon. Thus, a CCL service member had reported it, at which time the “master of arms” had to clear the red flag. While I am thankful that CCL is watching out for our safety and making sure that we were still alive, for the life of me, I will never understand why they did not knock before entering. I found this to not only be unacceptable, but also humiliating. When I asked about filing a formal complaint, I was told by guest services that I could fill out the guest survey that would arrive via email within 7 days of our cruise. Really??

Thanks for all the insight you all! Good to know I am not crazy. Leaving on the Sunshine in exactly a week....I am expecting a much better experience!

The most important point in my opinion is not to let any one person or thing ruin your cruise experience.

. When I asked about filing a formal complaint, I was told by guest services that I could fill out the guest survey that would arrive via email within 7 days of our cruise. Really??

No cruise line is perfect.

How they deal with their 'imperfections' is what makes the difference.

This handling of your incident seems like a failure to me.

Thanks for all the insight you all! Good to know I am not crazy. Leaving on the Sunshine in exactly a week....I am expecting a much better experience!

The most important point in my opinion is not to let any one person or thing ruin your cruise experience.

I am sure you will get it. Let us all know your thoughts when you return. I will be on her the day before for a sleepover. I will make sure everything looks ship shape for you.;)

I am not doubting the poster, but I cannot imagine someone in guest services would make a coment like that.

I wrote a strongly worded letter to CCL upon our return and did receive a phone call advising me they were going to check into it further.... never heard another word. We were on the Splendor again this past January and had no problems.

Our last cruise, our steward was invisible. We saw her once and she pulled the card on or in door nonsense also. We also had towel issues and our room was never done before noon. We were blown away and figured Carnival is really sliding. Anyways I had to get loud about it and then we never saw her again. Room was a little better but she would go around the corner if she heard me. We met the steward for the cabin next to us and he was very cordial. I thought about asking for him.