Pearl questions for "newbie"

Artemis

We just booked the Pearl for December, and I'd love it if anyone can offer help on my questions below, plus offer any Pearl or NCL tips you'd like to share. We're experienced cruisers, but it's been 11 years since we've done NCL, so we feel like newbies! :)

1. Specialty dining packages - In my online planner, I can purchase a $57 bundle for three venues (Cagney's, La Cucina and Le Bistro), and if I book one for embarkation night, they'll throw in a bottle of wine. That's a great deal, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if a more comprehensive package is offered onboard, e.g., I see in a Jewel 2012 post that there was a 6 restaurant for $79 deal. Are we likely to see such an offer on our Pearl sailing? Or...if we go ahead and book this, and then there is such an offer, does anyone know or have a best guess re: whether they will give us credit for the $57 and let us pay the balance on the more comprehensive deal?

2. Embarkation lobster night - I read some don't want to do specialty on embarkation because it's lobster night in the MDR. True? And if yes, is that the only time we'll see lobster?

3. Facebook or other coupon for bottle of wine - In the same 2012 thread, I saw mention of a Facebook coupon for a bottle of wine. I don't see one on NCL's Facebook (or Twitter) site. Am I missing it? I do see NCL's 2013 coupon for 15% off a bottle if purchase 2 specialty restaurants.

4. Coupons - I note they'll be in my online planner (just completed check-in, the e-docs haven't been enabled yet). Do I have to print them and bring them, or will they be in my room?

5. White Hot Party - Is this a sure thing every cruise?

6. Show/Events Availability - Are there any shows/events that reach capacity such that folks are turned away?

7. Freestyle Daily - Anyone know where I can find a fairly recent collection from Pearl? I see some from 2012.

Okay, 7 questions is enough already!

Looking forward to any answers and your best tips...thanks!

1 - saves you $8 as I recall vs. individual bookings.. I think we saw a dining package offered on the Pearl, but it was years ago - haven't seen anything like that more recently on other ships. The downside risk of waiting until you get aboard is very low, so I'd wait if I were you

2 - Yes - lobster the first night. We booked Cagney's the first night and the reservation receptionist asked me 2 or 3 times if I was sure since it was lobster night in the MDR. YES! I want to have the place to ourselves and we did :)

3 - not sure on that

4 - I think they've gotten away from giving coupons out to the rooms.. I'd print out ahead of time if they are of interest, then you'll be covered.

5 - Yes, it seems to be

6 - There might be one or two, but I've not seen them turn away, just might have standing room in the back, but arriving 10 min before showtime is usually guaranteed a set - most often a pretty good one too.

7 - can't help you.. last sailed on the pearl in '11 I think

Good luck!

I'm not a huge food snob, but the "lobster night" was not, in my experience, worth planning my itinerary around. It's just a rock lobster tail. Easier to get better product near home, even in the Midwest!

I'd take the 3-fer and get that bottle of wine!

They have been changing all the white hot parties to neon parties - you need to be prepared in case they have changed it already

I still wore a white dress but had a neon yellow scarf

The music however had all changed to techno so I was disappointed

White oak :D, thanks for your input. You and I are of one mind when it comes to wine over banquet lobster!

Tiggertastic, neon?! Whoa. Thanks for the heads up. Not my palette. I am stealing your brilliant idea of white + neon scarf! ;)

2 - Yes - lobster the first night. We booked Cagney's the first night and the reservation receptionist asked me 2 or 3 times if I was sure since it was lobster night in the MDR. YES! I want to have the place to ourselves and we did
why wouldn't you want to eat there the first night? Where was everyone else? I love quiet restaurants. :D

We just booked the Pearl for December, and I'd love it if anyone can offer help on my questions below, plus offer any Pearl or NCL tips you'd like to share. We're experienced cruisers, but it's been 11 years since we've done NCL, so we feel like newbies! :)

What sailing? If dec 8th, join our roll call...

Sent from my MB855 using Forums mobile app

why wouldn't you want to eat there the first night? Where was everyone else? I love quiet restaurants. :D

Yes, we've done Cagney's 1st night a couple of times and have found it's wonderful. No crowds, a bottle of wine...and great service. We're not doing Cagney's this time though, we're trying Moderno which sounds like fun.

I'm from the east coast so rock lobster isn't something I care for so we don't bother with the MDR embarkation night, but to each his own.

As far as the White Hot Glow Party, it was a blast on both Star and Epic but if they've changed the music lineup it may not be for us but wear something comfortable with those dancing shoes and have fun.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help! Cagney's the first night it is...and as for you Roll Call trolls :D, Dec 8 is the big winner. dispachcops, thanks for including the link in your sig line...I'll go over now and join the fun!

Happy sailing all.

2. Embarkation lobster night - I read some don't want to do specialty on embarkation because it's lobster night in the MDR. True? And if yes, is that the only time we'll see lobster?

Yes, lobster night is the first night, so if you want to attend that, don't book a specialty restaurant. Also, just so you know, every time we have went, they don't announce that it's "lobster night" nor do they really advertise it. On the menu, it's actually called "surf and turf" instead of making it clear so that you can find it. ;)

4. Coupons - I note they'll be in my online planner (just completed check-in, the e-docs haven't been enabled yet). Do I have to print them and bring them, or will they be in my room?

You will need to print them and bring them along. We have never had any of the coupons in our rooms.

5. White Hot Party - Is this a sure thing every cruise?

They have been on every ship we have been on (although I read somewhere that they may have changed the name??? But that may just be on the Breakaway). Don't worry, they'll have it listed in the dailies, they will have it in the announcements, and you will see them selling the white hot tee-shirts in the stores onboard. :D

6. Show/Events Availability - Are there any shows/events that reach capacity such that folks are turned away?

While some shows do get crowded, we have never been to a show that reached capacity. I would say the biggest show that everyone attends is the last show (Elements). It's a big hit and an amazing show!

7. Freestyle Daily - Anyone know where I can find a fairly recent collection from Pearl? I see some from 2012.

I don't have anything recent (since we were on her last year), but I do have a review with TONS of pictures and links to it. You can find it in my signature line if you are interested.

Have an awesome time.

^ Wow, that's an hour I'll never get back, haha. But thanks so much, mitsugirly, your review is terrific--both informative and entertaining--and the eye candy is gorgeous. Of course, I had to go through each and every one of your SmugMug albums for your Pearl adventure! Your photo composition is especially nice. And thanks for answering my specific questions. :)

Enjoy your upcoming Jewel cruise!

Be aware - Moderno on the Pearl is on the balcony of the main atrium (the big screen etc). The had a football game playing followed by very loud music. We couldn't even hear each other speak. Love the food - was a very difficult place to "enjoy" it though.

(Just off the Pearl Oct 4 - on the Jade in 2 weeks)

I agree with this.. We ate at this location on the Jewel long ago when it was a Tex/Mex place and beside the place settings and food, it was the same as sitting at the Blue Lagoon - which is fine too, just be aware that it isn't the intimate quiet venue like Cagney's

^ Wow, that's an hour I'll never get back, haha. But thanks so much, mitsugirly, your review is terrific--both informative and entertaining--and the eye candy is gorgeous. Of course, I had to go through each and every one of your SmugMug albums for your Pearl adventure! Your photo composition is especially nice. And thanks for answering my specific questions. :)

Enjoy your upcoming Jewel cruise!

Thanks and you're welcome...I think? LOL

Cruise Mama and gatorsfam, really good tip on Moderno. We love this type of restaurant, so will definitely be giving it a try. I was going to say maybe going late would be a good idea to avoid as much noise as possible...but then I realized, who wants to eat that much meat late??!

Be aware - Moderno on the Pearl is on the balcony of the main atrium (the big screen etc). The had a football game playing followed by very loud music. We couldn't even hear each other speak. Love the food - was a very difficult place to "enjoy" it though.

(Just off the Pearl Oct 4 - on the Jade in 2 weeks)

How was the pearl? Who is CD? Have you posted a review? How was the entertainment?

How was the pearl? Who is CD? Have you posted a review? How was the entertainment?

Pedro was the cruise director, but last week was his last day on the Pearl, so we'll have to wait and see who the new CD is. (He kind of seemed to have checked out already by the last day.)

I would recommend "Oh What A Night!" if you haven't seen them already and are into the Four Seasons and their style of music. The crew talent show was also quite good.

This is timely, Tiggertastic, as today I booked that trio restaurant deal with the bottle of wine! So thanks for the tip about lobster in Cagney's--when we do our first night's dinner there, we'll know to check out the lobster option and not worry about missing lobster night in the MDR. :) Whether we order lobster is another question...it will be awfully hard to pass up a good steak. ;)

Edited by Artemis

Pedro was the cruise director, but last week was his last day on the Pearl, so we'll have to wait and see who the new CD is. (He kind of seemed to have checked out already by the last day.)

I would recommend "Oh What A Night!" if you haven't seen them already and are into the Four Seasons and their style of music. The crew talent show was also quite good.

I am a 4 seasons fan and will be comparing it to "Jersey Boys"