Cinnamon or Trunk Bay

kruisin' kim

Will be here on a cruise stop next week and plan on self exploring St. John. Which is your favorite and why? Or do you prefer another? I have been to Trunk Bay several times and loved it. However, I heard, from a local, that it is beginning to get "run down" looking and also, crowded with tourists. I will have several realtives with me who have never been to either, so I would like to give them the best experience. Also, does anyone know if you can you rent snorkel equipment at Cinnamon Bay?

Will be here on a cruise stop next week and plan on self exploring St. John. Which is your favorite and why? Or do you prefer another? I have been to Trunk Bay several times and loved it. However' date=' I heard, from a local, that it is beginning to get "run down" looking and also, crowded with tourists. I will have several realtives with me who have never been to either, so I would like to give them the best experience. Also, does anyone know if you can you rent snorkel equipment at Cinnamon Bay?[/quote']

We've always gone to Cinnamon mostly because when I researched it before we went the first time I was told it was better .... in that less crowded, etc. We LOVE it there .... it's an absolutely peacefully beautiful beach. Can't help you on the snorkel equipment since we didn't do that .... we just enjoyed the clear water, white sand and solitude! But, that being said, I'm sure you should be able to. After our beach time we enjoyed just walking around the small little village, did a little shopping and had a coffee or drink or something. Enjoy .... I'm sure either one will be great for you. :)

We visit St. John annually. Sometimes during a ship stop, sometimes for a land vacation. There is nothing run down about Trunk Bay. It's a spectacular beach. That being said, it can get very crowded when there are a lot of ships in St. Thomas. In fact, overcrowded.

If we are stopping for a day on St. John on a cruise ship, we visit Cinnamon or Maho. Both are beautiful. Cinnamon does indeed offer snorkel and chair rental (be prepared for a $25 refundable deposit). The only challenge is that they are VERY slow to process the rentals and for some reason, the rental returns. Since you want your deposit refunded, you aren't going to drop your equipment and run. So be sure you allow extra time to return anything you rent (like an extra 15 - 20 minutes over what you think would be "normal").

Cinnamon is a large beach and you can normally find a place to yourself even on crowded days. Snorkeling is decent and the beach is beautiful.

Maho is our favorite. No equipment rental so it doesn't get many cruisers. It can still get crowded with folks staying on the island but it is a very special place. No food concessions here; just restrooms. Snorkeling is OK but you've got to bring your own equipment. Also, if you go here, per-arrange for the taxi to come back and get you. No need to do that as Cinnamon as there are always taxis there.

Can't go wrong with any beach. I would avoid Trunk if you are visiting when more than three ships are in St. Thomas. ENJOY!

Will be here on a cruise stop next week and plan on self exploring St. John. Which is your favorite and why? Or do you prefer another? I have been to Trunk Bay several times and loved it. However' date=' I heard, from a local, that it is beginning to get "run down" looking and also, crowded with tourists. I will have several realtives with me who have never been to either, so I would like to give them the best experience. Also, does anyone know if you can you rent snorkel equipment at Cinnamon Bay?[/quote']

Cinnamon offers rentals only during the season. It's out of season right now so they don't have any now as I understand. We had our own so we didn't bother, but it seemed closed down for the season a couple weeks ago when we were there - beach open, but rentals not staffed/open. Restroom/showers still available and there were folks camped at the campsite/cabins too.

We've only gone to Cinnamon and LOVED it!! It seems everyone goes to Trunk bay - but we'd rather enjoy the beach to ourselves - literally. When you get to the beach, walk off to your right as far as you can go - great snorkeling right off the beach and down a little further.

We were at the beach for 3 1/2 hours and had a total of 6 people walk by the entire time. Maybe we got there earlier in the day, but who knows.

It will cost an extra $1 in taxi fare each each way vs. Trunk bay ($7 ea. vs. $6), and we had to wait about 15 minutes when we were ready to go before the driver decided to head on out - he made sure to get us back in time for the ferry, so you may want to give yourself a little extra time at Cinnamon vs. Trunk to get back to the pier if you're on a tight schedule.

Another beach we thoroughly enjoyed was Hawksnest. No rental service there, but the beach is gorgeous and parking is right by the beach. Snorkeling was fantastic. I liked it better then Trunk Bay. We had driven up to Cinnamon, too, but where we parked, the beach didn't look like much for snorkeling. If we had more time, I would have given it a try, though. If you'ld like to see pictures of the 3 beaches, check out my blog and the day (Sunday); http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-st-thomas-9-day-vacation-to-island.html

We visit St. John annually. Sometimes during a ship stop, sometimes for a land vacation. There is nothing run down about Trunk Bay. It's a spectacular beach. That being said, it can get very crowded when there are a lot of ships in St. Thomas. In fact, overcrowded.

If we are stopping for a day on St. John on a cruise ship, we visit Cinnamon or Maho. Both are beautiful. Cinnamon does indeed offer snorkel and chair rental (be prepared for a $25 refundable deposit). The only challenge is that they are VERY slow to process the rentals and for some reason, the rental returns. Since you want your deposit refunded, you aren't going to drop your equipment and run. So be sure you allow extra time to return anything you rent (like an extra 15 - 20 minutes over what you think would be "normal").

Cinnamon is a large beach and you can normally find a place to yourself even on crowded days. Snorkeling is decent and the beach is beautiful.

Maho is our favorite. No equipment rental so it doesn't get many cruisers. It can still get crowded with folks staying on the island but it is a very special place. No food concessions here; just restrooms. Snorkeling is OK but you've got to bring your own equipment. Also, if you go here, per-arrange for the taxi to come back and get you. No need to do that as Cinnamon as there are always taxis there.

Can't go wrong with any beach. I would avoid Trunk if you are visiting when more than three ships are in St. Thomas. ENJOY!

Interesting.. There are 5 cruises in port when we are there in Stt. Would you recommend going to Cinnamon Bay then? How crowded would Trunk bay be?

Thanks in advance.

bwg ~ My first recommendation would be to check out the other ships in port with you and their arrival/departure time compared to yours. If port times are somewhat staggered (they are sometimes) Trunk might not be to bad depending upon when you get there. It also depends "what" five ships are in port with you. If Oasis or Allure are in St. Thomas (or if you are on one of them), it can also make a difference since they carry so many passengers.

With five ships in port, Trunk can be pretty crowded. If you port early and can beat most of the crowds, it might be OK. But if you can't be on the 9:00 AM ferry to St. John at the latest, I'd recommend Cinnamon. It's bigger, longer and can handle more people. We've always been able to get away from the crowds at Cinnamon if you are willing to walk to one end or the other. That's not always the case with Trunk.

Either way, both are beautiful. And consider asking your taxi driver when you get to St. John what they'd recommend for the day. They are taking people to the beaches all morning long and should have a feel for the crowds on the different beaches. Don't discount Hawksnest, too. It's a beautiful beach.

ENJOY

There's also a $4 fee to enter Trunk Bay park. They have really nice separate shower and bathroom facilities. As well as lockers for rent, a gift shop, rental for snorkel gear, and a restaurant. If Cinnamon or Trunk are your only choices, I'd go to Trunk.

xcell ~ about $9 per person from Havensight to Red Hook or $11 or $12 from Crown Bay. Figure $44 per person for transportation costs to go to St. John on your own from Havensight. Add $3 or so per person from Crown Bay. If you go to Trunk, add $4 per person for admission but if you want to save, go to Cinnamon or Hawksnest where you can avoid entrance fees.

Augie ~ SO good to "see" you! :)

Trunk is the most popular for a reason ... beautiful water, white sand and a nice snorkeling trail just off the beach. You'll also get a lifeguard ( announces departures), food and showers! It does get crowded ...but check the # of ships in port.

Cinnamon is my favorite. It's less crowded, has a great beach and some wonderful snorkeling ( best off the eastern end of the beach ).

Trunk is the most popular for a reason ... beautiful water, white sand and a nice snorkeling trail just off the beach. You'll also get a lifeguard ( announces departures), food and showers! It does get crowded ...but check the # of ships in port.

Cinnamon is my favorite. It's less crowded, has a great beach and some wonderful snorkeling ( best off the eastern end of the beach ).

Have you been to Honeymoon beach? I was thinking of hiking there from the ferry drop off... I like remote :-)

Have you been to Honeymoon beach? I was thinking of hiking there from the ferry drop off... I like remote :-)

Honeymoon, while not nearly as big, popular, or famous as some of the other St. John beaches, is not nearly as remote (as in unpopulated) as it used to be. It has long been a favorite drop off place for big snorkel boats and a popular place for dinghies to land, and the fairly recent addition of watersports rental and facilities has made it even more of a draw.

It's still a beautiful beach, but I wouldn't categorize it as "remote".

bjarrett7 - As Augie says - depending on the day - Honeymoon gets its share of visitors. Most come on charters and so they stop, drop and move on.

The hike from Cruz Bay is reasonably demanding ( assume a moderate level of fitness). You do get some nice views along the way. And, IMO, it adds to the adventure of getting to Honeymoon Beach. The watersports "shack" rents kayaks, chairs, SUPs, lockers and snorkeling gear. Pretty convenient. The beach is fairly long with plenty of shade palms and sea grapes. And if you decide not to hike back ... you can always walk to Caneel and grab a safari taxi on North Shore Road back to Cruz Bay.

I should add - Salomon ( Solomon ) beach is also along the Lind Point Trail just before you get to Honeymoon. It's small but a nice beach. Snorkeling is best between the 2 beaches.

bjarrett7 - As Augie says - depending on the day - Honeymoon gets its share of visitors. Most come on charters and so they stop, drop and move on.

The hike from Cruz Bay is reasonably demanding ( assume a moderate level of fitness). You do get some nice views along the way. And, IMO, it adds to the adventure of getting to Honeymoon Beach. The watersports "shack" rents kayaks, chairs, SUPs, lockers and snorkeling gear. Pretty convenient. The beach is fairly long with plenty of shade palms and sea grapes. And if you decide not to hike back ... you can always walk to Caneel and grab a safari taxi on North Shore Road back to Cruz Bay.

I should add - Salomon ( Solomon ) beach is also along the Lind Point Trail just before you get to Honeymoon. It's small but a nice beach. Snorkeling is best between the 2 beaches.

This is great info! Thanks! How long does the hike take? I am assuming that there are some elevations involved...

We were at Trunk Bay this past week. It was amazing. Not crowded at all.

I recommended going on your own vs a ship excursion. The cost is about the same but on your own you have more time on the beach. We got there before the ship excursion did. The beach was almost empty. Spent about 3 hours at Trunk Bay before we had to leave and still got back to the ship over an hour before we had to. Plus the trip there and back was very enjoyable. Taxi and ferry service was very reliable and professional.

• 1 month later...

It looks as if we will be the only ship in port on May 11 (Jewel of the Seas), so I anticipate a nice quiet beach day at Trunk Bay. Since we have never been to Trunk Bay before I am looking forward to the visit.

Since our favorite beach in the world so far, Sapphire Beach has seemingly closed it's doors to cruise ship visitors we are being forced out of our "comfort zone" and looking elsewhere. Hopefully we will not be disappointed!

Hi. We are going over to trunk bay while in port. We are traveling on the Valor and will be in port from 7-5. The only other ship in port will be the adventure of the seas (8-5:30). My question is how early should we try to leave the ship? I am a morning person so I would have no problem being off the ship as soon as we get cleared but I don't want to get to the ferry and have to wait until it opens. Is there a certain time to not bother leaving by? My family is used to me dragging them places an hour before they open but I don't want to push them too far :)

Thanks!

Christine