southhamton sea in oct

retiredf

we are thinking of cruising out of southhamton in early oct. what can we expect ? rough seas calm or you never know

In October 2012 we sailed from Southampton to the Canary Islands. the bay of biscay was rocky lost of people sea sick.

October this year we sailed out of Southampton to the Baltic Sea. Everything was smooth sailing.

Everything is weather depended of course

You just can't predict the weather, we sailed from Southampton to the canaries on Oct 20th and it was quite rough , it took 5 days to get to Gran Canaria and we lost a port

We have done the same journey at the same time twice before and once was rough and once was a mill pond

This time made me decide I don't like too many sea days from Southampton so I will want a fly cruise next time

October is the time we usually get very strong winds in UK. Usually from mid October onwards. This year was no exception, hurricane force winds a couple of weeks ago, so bad that the ships did not sail out of Southampton for a couple of days.

Having said that, this is England you are asking about. It could be mild and sunny. We just never know.

We have sailed Oct 09 10 11 and 13, Other than this year it was fine, not a millpond but not particularly rough, this year it was a bit rough, Force 6 I think, going south (11th) and we were in the Med for the storm that affected a few sailings the following week, coming home was force 7 and a bit rocky, the Docs were doing a roaring trade with their seasick jags at £70 a pop. It was like watching coordinated drunkedness as people walked down the corridors.

Interestingly the ship never moved more that 10 deg side to side or front to back according to the app on my phone!

It's not so much Southampton, it's the Bay of Biscay that you have to watch out for. Usually on a a voyage out of Southampton you're likely to have a chance of at least some waves there, especially in October. But once you get to the med, it should be pleasant. Early October you might be lucky enough to have temps in the late sixties in the uk. Late October, that would be very lucky indeed.